Friedman: Coyotes prepared to give Domi a fresh start, expect him to be traded by draft

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There was a time on HF where Domi could do no wrong. Some wanted even to trade the farm for him.

AZ fans,

What happened to him?
He broke his hand last year.
The team was god awful in the first half of this year.
He's being tried at center for the first time since junior.
He's just having a down year, particularly in shooting %.
Probably 0 Yotes fans actually want to trade him.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
A bit much. The coyotes would need to add. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't mind overpaying for him if Babs would play him on the 1st line.

Domi Mats Willie would be disgusting, a massive upgrade over Zach "generational gudness" Hyman.

Besides, he would likely be here long term and we could lock him up hella cheap due to his "regression" over the past few years.

That said, I do think he still has awesome potential and can still be at least a top 6 player in the league

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's probably overrated. But Arizona is complete shit like they usually are which would make any player look bad.

Maybe they should just trade Arizona to Quebec city for future considerations.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Rangers send McD + for Domi

Reunite McD and Stepan and get a younger forward coming the other way. Considering how often the Yotes and NYR trade its not completely nutty

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There was a time on HF where Domi could do no wrong. Some wanted even to trade the farm for him.

AZ fans,

What happened to him?
Rookie season: 0.64ppg
Sophomore season: 0.64ppg
Junior season: 0.45ppg

Cliff's:
He's been playing center (for some insane reason)for a brand new coaching staff (who's been terrible) of the worst team in the NHL (by about a mile), with Zac Rinaldo and Toby Rieder as his wingers. Of course his production dropped 19%.

Detail:
He's having an identity crisis. They told him not to fight and he dull the requisite edge to his game down far too much, making him much less effective.

Then there was the season's start which was demoralizing to everyone. Then there's this new leadership group and where does he fit there? New staff and new system to adjust to. Then he's horrifically snake bit to start with a 2% shooting percentage.

Then before he gets any of the above figured out they stuck him at C and now he has to figure out how to be a responsible center with way more responsibilities.

He's in his head.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Rookie season: 0.64ppg
Sophomore season: 0.64ppg
Junior season: 0.45ppg

Cliff's:
He's been playing center (for some insane reason)for a brand new coaching staff (who's been terrible) of the worst team in the NHL (by about a mile), with Zac Rinaldo and Toby Rieder as his wingers. Of course his production dropped 19%.

Detail:
He's having an identity crisis. They told him not to fight and he dull the requisite edge to his game down far too much, making him much less effective.

Then there was the season's start which was demoralizing to everyone. Then there's this new leadership group and where does he fit there? New staff and new system to adjust to. Then he's horrifically snake bit to start with a 2% shooting percentage.

Then before he gets any of the above figured out they stuck him at C and now he has to figure out how to be a responsible center with way more responsibilities.

He's in his head.

Help me out here. He was a winger his rookie year, no? Not sure he's built to play C in the league. Maybe later in his career but why some coaches try fitting a square in a circle, I just dont get.

I think he'll do just fine somewhere else. When you hear change of scenery from the media, that generally means player is not happy, asks to be moved without demanding it and organization says we'll see what we can do...The problem for the Coyotes is, if your peddling a 22 year old who's not putting up the numbers people thought he would, you're revealing your hand.

It'll be interesting to see what they end up with in return. I'm guessing there's GMs out there who still really like him and will offer up a good player in return.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
1st, Leivo, Soshnikov

What do Yotes fans think about this offer?

Sosh is NHL ready, we just don't have room for him.

Leivo honestly has great upside, but the management and coaching have jerked him around too much, I legit would not be surprised if he put up 20-20 in his first year with the Yotes.

The 1st could be anyone....even Max Domi!

If he can play center, i want him on the Leafs.

Why? We're already loaded on centers, Max would look amazing on our first line though (compared to generational gud pro Zach Hyman)

rt

May 13, 2004

Leivo honestly has great upside, but the management and coaching have jerked him around too much, I legit would not be surprised if he put up 20-20 in his first year with the Yotes.

Why? We're already loaded on centers, Max would look amazing on our first line though (compared to generational gud pro Zach Hyman)
I have faith in Max. I think he can be a core piece. Maybe even team captain. He's had one bad year. Stupid to sell low. Soshnikov and Leivo would be fine waiver wire claims and we do have first priority but I would t trade anything I actually care about for them. Max Domi qualifies as that.

rt

May 13, 2004
Help me out here. He was a winger his rookie year, no? Not sure he's built to play C in the league. Maybe later in his career but why some coaches try fitting a square in a circle, I just dont get.

I think he'll do just fine somewhere else. When you hear change of scenery from the media, that generally means player is not happy, asks to be moved without demanding it and organization says we'll see what we can do...The problem for the Coyotes is, if your peddling a 22 year old who's not putting up the numbers people thought he would, you're revealing your hand.

It'll be interesting to see what they end up with in return. I'm guessing there's GMs out there who still really like him and will offer up a good player in return.

The only reasoning the team has given for the stupid center experiment is that playing C is so hard, that when they move him back to W, it'll seem so easy by comparison that he'll start scoring a lot again. Haha! What!?!?!? The Coyotes are not in the hands of wise hockey people. It's a mess here.

He doesn't need to go somewhere else for a fresh start. He can get one here. He's been excellent the last little bit (even at C and even with Rieder and Rinaldo as he wingers). This is the worst time to trade him. He's going to finish the season strong and have more value at the draft.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
The of running two pukes like Domi and Tkachuk has me drooling. Flames have a great relationship with the Yotes. Let's get something done!

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
The only reasoning the team has given for the stupid center experiment is that playing C is so hard, that when they move him back to W, it'll seem so easy by comparison that he'll start scoring a lot again. Haha! What!?!?!? The Coyotes are not in the hands of wise hockey people. It's a mess here.

He doesn't need to go somewhere else for a fresh start. He can get one here. He's been excellent the last little bit (even at C and even with Rieder and Rinaldo as he wingers). This is the worst time to trade him. He's going to finish the season strong and have more value at the draft.

People don't realize how easy wing is and how hard center is, early on as kids all the best players are put at center. Guys with physical talent but that maybe aren't the sharpest skates on the ice go to wing by default, it's not really a position of honor.

The exception being if someone shows they have a prodigious shot, they may be put at wing, as they will have the best chance of concentrating on using that skill.

But yeah, a guy who has played at wing since he was a kid, DO NOT expect that he can play center, he CAN'T or defense.

On the contrary, a defenseman or center can EASILY play wing on a moments notice.

That's why my draft philosophy is taking centers with your first pick, focus your high-end acquisitions on that position, then take defensemen in quantity, not quality as you move down in the rounds, you can put either D or C at wing, but not the reverse, so stock up where it counts

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Rangers send McD + for Domi

Reunite McD and Stepan and get a younger forward coming the other way. Considering how often the Yotes and NYR trade its not completely nutty
gonna go ahead and assume this was a joke post

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
1) you can predict the future? Domi had 52 points as a rookie...

2) $$ always plays a role and this would be huge cap relief for Edmonton. Nuge isn't really worth the 6 AAV when you have McD and Draisaitl as your top 2 centers already.

I agree Arizona would have to add a small piece like a 2nd or B prospect but nothing major like you are implying.

That's the problem though, EDM won't commit to Drai as a center, rumor has it that Connor WANTS him on the wing.

So from EDM's perspective, if that's the case, Nuge becomes the third most important guy on the team, if he's the only thing standing between them and Strome at 2nd line center, he can not be moved

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
That's the problem though, EDM won't commit to Drai as a center, rumor has it that Connor WANTS him on the wing.

So from EDM's perspective, if that's the case, Nuge becomes the third most important guy on the team, if he's the only thing standing between them and Strome at 2nd line center, he can not be moved

Doesn't surprise me. The entire team, outside of those 2, kills the play as soon as they get the puck. I haven't heard that rumor but I would not be surprised by it at all.

Jan 21, 2018

The Leafs are not moving their 1st for a winger. They will trade it in a deal for a top 4D or draft one with the pick (more likely scenario).

The only way you Leaf fans will see Domi wearing blue and white is if you're looking at his Dad's highlights.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
.......ahh no lol. Nice troll job.

Domi however would look good with McDavid. Counter Offer.

Benning, 2nd Round 18(30-35 range), Caggiulla

You think Domi for RNH is a troll job, but then offer a package including a bottom pairing defender, a 2nd round pick, and a bottom six forward?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You think Domi for RNH is a troll job, but then offer a package including a bottom pairing defender, a 2nd round pick, and a bottom six forward?
That's a valuable second, ok you want more...

Klefbom
2nd

For

Domi

OEL - Klefbom moving forward for Arizona...

Domi- McDavid for Edmonton...

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The Leafs are not moving their 1st for a winger. They will trade it in a deal for a top 4D or draft one with the pick (more likely scenario).

The only way you Leaf fans will see Domi wearing blue and white is if you're looking at his Dad's highlights.

Domi can be a long term Leaf and what's wrong with moving a late 1st for a winger? We pretty much did that with Schenn in an early first and look at how well it worked out for us.

Phoenix is a gongshow and Max wants out, it's not unreasonable to assume he goes to Toronto, specifically for that offer and the only top 4D we're getting for our 1st anyways is a rental, so long term it's not close to as valuable as Max could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad