Friedman: Coyotes prepared to give Domi a fresh start, expect him to be traded by draft

varano

Jun 27, 2013
There's no chance any team gives Raanta anything close to that. His term will be 4 years or less and so will be his AAV.
You think his AAV will less than 4?? You're insane. Look at what Darling got.

Freddy andersen is on a 5X5

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Youll be in for a shock
He's going to stay in Arizona where he's guaranteed a starting job. It's going to be a longer term contract because he doesn't want to continue moving his new bride and new baby all over the continent.

Arizona understands it's extremely stupid to pay goalies a lot of money and they're going to settle on giving him 4m per with is 10-20% more than they feel comfortable burning on a goalie.

He'll enjoy the comparably low tax rate and the fact that he can winter in Phoenix and summer in Finland.

Also, he's not leaving anything on the table because no team is going to offer more than that for a guy with exactly one season as a starter under his belt. One where he's been injured half the time and has been piling up losses for the worst team in the league.

There isn't any appetite whatsoever in the league to give a guy this unproven 20 million dollars in guaranteed money. You are way off the reservation.

Reactions: North Man

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's going to stay in Arizona where he's guaranteed a starting job. It's going to be a longer term contract because he doesn't want to continue moving his new bride and new baby all over the continent.

Arizona understands it's extremely stupid to pay goalies a lot of money and they're going to settle on giving him 4m per with is 10-20% more than they feel comfortable burning on a goalie.

He'll enjoy the comparably low tax rate and the fact that he can winter in Phoenix and summer in Finland.

Also, he's not leaving anything on the table because no team is going to offer more than that for a guy with exactly one season as a starter under his belt. One where he's been injured half the time and has been piling up losses for the worst team in the league.

There isn't any appetite whatsoever in the league to give a guy this unproven 20 million dollars in guaranteed money. You are way off the reservation.
I look at a guy thats posting a 920 save percentage on a horrible team who had several 25+ Game seasons prior to this with a high save percentage as well.

But lets see what happens

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You think his AAV will less than 4?? You're insane. Look at what Darling got.

Freddy andersen is on a 5X5
I think teams will be hesitant to throw both term and cash after Darling's failures as a number 1 in a new organization.

I think 4x $4-$4.5 will likely be where Raanta ends up. Isles will have some budget issues given they already have Greiss signed at over$3M and they need to re-sign Tavares ($10-$12M), Bailey, while improving their D and keeping salary/cap flexibility when Barzal is signed to the Draisaitl extension.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really dont want Arizona to trade Domi. That said, I dont see a good fit with Vancouver as they want to keep their talented youth as well.
I'd say it would have to be Juolevi but I'd really only be interested if we were going to move on from OEL. Which is too convoluted to even discuss.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
To think that Vancouver could have the Domi-Horvat + Dahlen-Pettersson combo for the next decade on the LW + C. Oof.

I wouldn't care doing Hutton + Baertschi + Goldobin for Domi + a late pick. But again, I'm not sure if the Canucks have the pieces to make it happen beyond letting go of picks and one of their top-tier prospects.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Domi for Burakovsky straight up. Both talented first round picks having terrible years and in need of a change of scenery. One month apart in age.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Rookie season: 0.64ppg
Sophomore season: 0.64ppg
Junior season: 0.45ppg

He's been playing center (for some insane reason)for a brand new coaching staff (who's been terrible) of the worst team in the NHL (by about a mile), with Zac Rinaldo and Toby Rieder as his wingers. Of course his production dropped 19%.

He’s spent more 4x as much time playing on a line with Stepan and Keller.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
He might be a bit too old or not have quite enough term on his deal, but it would be cool to see something around Nugent-Hopkins. Domi and McDavid have good chemistry, and Draisaitl can go back to center.

Domi replaces Maroon @ LW, Draisaitl replaces Hopkins @ C, and Oilers now need a RW instead of LW after Maroon leaves.

Arizona probably trades Strome now, with Stepan Hopkins Dvorak down the middle. Trading Strome was a big possibility before anyways.

There’s zero talent around him to maximize his skills. He’s got speed, talent and a good head for hockey. He needs a solid and talented team around him to maximize his skill set.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd take a shot at Domi if I were the Leafs, the kid had a 52 point season at 20 years old and he's only 22 now so there is talent there but he is dying in Arizona.

You bring him to Toronto you can roll

Hyman Matthews Nylander

Domi Kadri Marner

Marleau ? Brown

you fill that 3rd line C spot in free agency and you are good that could be an even better top 9 than we have now if Marner and Domi can recapture the chemistry they had in London

Toronto needs another centre to compete. And one d-man. Domi would fit in seamless. Give him Marner and Marleau for wingers.

I think with Strome, Merkley and Crouse on the way, somebody has to make way, and it's a team that needs a leader now, without Doan. Stepan knocked Domi down the lineup in Arizona. A change of scenery will get him going. I think he will get some attention from a lot of GMs at the deadline.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Trade him to Philly. He will fit right in with Travis Konecny.
What Yotes are looking in return. Do not say Provorov or Gost or some other nonsense. :)

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Must pay a steep price for an underachieving player? Im starting to suspect Elliot makes trade proposals here.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Domi sounds like he really wants to stay in AZ long term.

I like that Craig pointed out that Domi's bargaining power for the next contract will be a little weaker. I hope Chayka sees this as an opportunity and gives Domi term in exchange for $.

After this recent team surge, he's currently on pace for 37 points. I think I had him penciled for about 45 at the beginning of the year, so he's on the uptick.

Oddly, the last portion of the season is going to be important for the Coyotes to assess their core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad