Player Discussion Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Putting up points doesn't always equal having an equally positive effect on the game. He's still arguably a top 6 forward when it comes to offensive skill, but not overall. And if we're just using points to evaluate, the other guys we have hanging in the 40-50 point range right now -- Silfverberg, Kase, and Henrique -- are all better than Perry at this point on both sides of the puck, and Perry is making more this year than all three of them combined. Perry's vision is his saving grace, but he's too slow to do much with it, he's no longer strong enough on the puck to make up for that deficiency, and he's poor defensively to boot, especially with his diminishing skating ability.

To hell with his point totals. They're empty.

You're still letting his contract cloud your view of what you are talking about. I don't know why you brought up Silfverberg, Kase, and Henrique..I never claimed Perry to be better than any of them.

In no way are the points "empty". His goals and assists count the same on the scoreboard as Rakell's and Getzlaf's do. It might be his only skill but it's a skill that at least 5 forwards on this team don't have (Ritchie, Wagner, Vermette, Brown, Cogs)

Also I still see Perry going to the net as much as anyone on the team, something some of the forwards on this team are allergic to.

I agree his defensive play is a joke I've never said differently

The contract is a sunk cost, there's nothing Perry or the team can do about it, short of a buyout or retirement, which isn't even worth talking about given what he's meant to the franchise

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
You're still letting his contract cloud your view of what you are talking about. I don't know why you brought up Silfverberg, Kase, and Henrique..I never claimed Perry to be better than any of them.
Just because I mention his contract doesn't mean that it's clouding my judgement. I figured it was relevant considering that a large part of the flack Perry receives is due to what we expect out of him, and what we expect out of his contract. It has nothing to do with his skill level in a vacuum but it's hardly a non sequitur.

Silfverberg, Kase, and Henrique are relevant as they illustrate how stupid evaluating on pure points is. Out of the 3 players I listed, only Kase is on a higher point pace than Perry. Henrique is on pace for 46 points over an 82 game season. Silfverberg is on pace for 43. Perry being a "50 point" forward means nothing.

In no way are the points "empty". His goals and assists count the same on the scoreboard as Rakell's and Getzlaf's do. It might be his only skill but it's a skill that at least 5 forwards on this team don't have (Ritchie, Wagner, Vermette, Brown, Cogs)
5 forwards is hardly an insulator between Perry and the bottom 6. He's behind at least 5 forwards (Getzlaf, Rakell, Silfverberg, Kase, and Henrique) in terms of offensive talent, and Kesler has a very solid case for being #6 on that list when he's healthy. That makes Perry our seventh best forward, even when you eliminate the defensive side of the game (in which Cogliano begins to make a case himself) and we're talking about a team that doesn't have a true star up front, save for Getzlaf. He's 3rd on the RW depth chart. Once again, this isn't an offensively stacked team -- a guy like Kase who is arguably our best RW would be 2nd on almost all the teams in the league and even 3rd on a few. Perry just doesn't stack up.

Also I still see Perry going to the net as much as anyone on the team, something some of the forwards on this team are allergic to.
Points for effort aren't good enough. He doesn't create havoc around there nearly as well as he used to. His deflections are decaying and his hands around the net -- historically one of his best assets -- are pretty mediocre now.

I agree his defensive play is a joke I've never said differently
Once again, I'm talking about the worthlessness of points in evaluating a player. Take into account defensive ability and Perry is a 3rd liner on a team with little star power.

The contract is a sunk cost, there's nothing Perry or the team can do about it, short of a buyout or retirement, which isn't even worth talking about given what he's meant to the franchise
I'm not suggesting that. Perry should retire here, and on his own terms. Him and Getzlaf have both been huge parts of our franchise for over a decade and it would be despicable to cast them aside when they've really begun hitting a serious decline.

All I'm saying is that Perry is overall not a top 6 forward at this point, and shouldn't be discussed as such just because he's on the vaunted "50-point pace".

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Perry has been light years better on the Getzlaf Rakell line which let's us keep Kase on the Rico line. The only other line I have seen him play well on is Henrique and Kase I believe it was. Other than that he has been horrible. Hope he can keep this up.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Perry’s hands just aren’t there. He had that point blank all alone situation in front of the net tonight and got stopped. He misses the net a lot. He has looked very motivated the last few games but his body is giving up on him. I’ll be surprised if he plays past next season (with us). He’s having a Heatley-like drop off.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Perry’s hands just aren’t there. He had that point blank all alone situation in front of the net tonight and got stopped. He misses the net a lot. He has looked very motivated the last few games but his body is giving up on him. I’ll be surprised if he plays past next season (with us). He’s having a Heatley-like drop off.

He still thinks the game at a very high level. There's no way the team is going to eat that contract when he's still putting up the numbers he's putting up. He'd have to decline to a 15 point 4th liner to even consider that. Heatley put up 28 points in his last 82 NHL games. Perry would be on track for about 55 this year if he didn't get injured. He put up 53 last season so I'm pretty confident concluding that this is the player he is now

He has shown this year he can be an effective facilitator, when put in the right situation.

The best we can hope is that he performs like he has this year for the rest of his contract and then he can retire or go somewhere else

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Glad to see perry starting to find a bit of hisold self the last few games... he was arguably our best player on this road trip. Hopefully he can keep it up, that rakell/getzlaf/perry line had some really pretty passing/cycle plays. On paper that line should be 1 of the more dominant lines in hockey if perry can stay hot.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
He clearly lost a step from his most recent injury and now looks to have that step back. His skating looks much better the last few games.

I also disagree with the Heatley comment. Heatley was never a player you'd describe as creative with the puck, so once he lost what little speed he had, he could no longer get in position to be dangerous. On the flip side, Corey Perry is very creative with the puck, so he's still a good playmaker, he just doesn't have the same puck skills/finish he once had.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Perry is what he is and Ducks are signed up to that. Kesler is definitely on the back end of his career and if he ends up 3C with his contract dollars for the duration, that's a big problem. Cogs contract as I stated when he signed it is another problem. Not so much stand alone, although I think they overpaid for him, but also in the big picture of the age of this team. I believe Wagner could fill that Cogs spot for literally a fraction of Cogs contract for the next 3 years. Cogs is a 3rd line max guy now with no offensive upside.

When you look at the Cogs and Kesler existing contracts AND with what Henrique and Silf will be looking for after next year, the money will not be there to sign both of them. You also know in a contract year Silf is going to have a huge year, Henrique will command at the very least 5 million (could get Kesler type money from another team) a year as a UFA the way he's been playing. The whole thing looks like a mess.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Cogs deal was surprising for sure. It was a decent deal but I don't think it was one we should have made in our current situation and upcoming problems.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'll eat my hat if Henrique comes anywhere close to earning Kesler money whether with us or with another team. He's good, but he's not THAT good.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Perry is what he is and Ducks are signed up to that. Kesler is definitely on the back end of his career and if he ends up 3C with his contract dollars for the duration, that's a big problem. Cogs contract as I stated when he signed it is another problem. Not so much stand alone, although I think they overpaid for him, but also in the big picture of the age of this team. I believe Wagner could fill that Cogs spot for literally a fraction of Cogs contract for the next 3 years. Cogs is a 3rd line max guy now with no offensive upside.

When you look at the Cogs and Kesler existing contracts AND with what Henrique and Silf will be looking for after next year, the money will not be there to sign both of them. You also know in a contract year Silf is going to have a huge year, Henrique will command at the very least 5 million (could get Kesler type money from another team) a year as a UFA the way he's been playing. The whole thing looks like a mess.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about the cap. IF... Silf, Rico and Gibby all sign for 5M then Montour, Ritchie and Kase all sign for 3M our cap would be below what it's projected to go up to next year. It was projected to go to 78 - 82. Those raises put us under 78. Let alone two years from now. Also, 4 of those contracts would be RFA so those numbers are very unlikely. We have more than enough cap space. Realistically we will be able to sign all of them and still be at least 5M under the cap at that point. So the "our owners are cheap" angle shouldn't even apply. I think we'll be fine.

Eaves is the only wrinkle in the whole thing. The above numbers assume he's on LTIR. But still, 3M should still fit on our cap. With how good we have been at signing RFA contracts, I don't think there's much to worry about.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
IF... Silf, Rico and Gibby all sign for 5M then Montour, Ritchie and Kase all sign for 3M our cap would be below what it's projected to go up to next year.
Ugh, I really, really hope we'd never sign Ritchie for 3M...1.5M / 2 year show me contract if anything. He's projecting at 6 goals and 25 points on the season...sure, that's low, but even the year he was doing better he was only at 28 points on the season.

3M for Kase, cool. 3M for Montour...I'd also say a slightly cheaper contract...2M, maybe 2.5 annually for 3 years.

Those are what I'd be closer in line to expect...if so, then we'd have even more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad