OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not many hockey movies out there but I enjoyed it enough. The one glaring part that I could do without was Jay Burachals character but I believe he wrote and directed the movie :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Goon was good enough to get a sequel? I thought it was ok at best.

Couldn't quite suspend my disbelief that a novice skater could get good enough to play even just a couple regular shifts at a pro level. I enjoyed the movie. Wouldn't classify it as a classic, but there were some decent one liners.

And a random anecdote: The Asian doctor/player in the movie is Larry Woo. His son Jett is probably a 1st rounder in the 2018 Draft.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
If anyone is looking for a new show to watch...

"The Good Place" on netflix had me in stitches, so funny.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bakemonogatari was pretty good. Sometimes it's nice when a series like that ends happily. It probably would have benefited from being a 20+ episode series instead of 15 eps., but they did a pretty good job developing the characters in a short period of time IMO.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There is a ton more Monogatari besides Bake. And it tires me out how much people eat it all up..

Is it all part of a single manga or light novel series? Or just a collection of separate stories under the same name?

Honestly, I watched the series because I liked Animenz rendition of the ending theme. Probably an odd reason to watch a series, but that being the case, I knew literally nothing about it going into it.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Couldn't quite suspend my disbelief that a novice skater could get good enough to play even just a couple regular shifts at a pro level. I enjoyed the movie. Wouldn't classify it as a classic, but there were some decent one liners.

I just thought it was part of the overall joke that his skating was still abysmal and yet they iced him because they sucked so bad.

The only person in the film I'm not a fan of is douchebro best friend played by that guy...

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not many hockey movies out there but I enjoyed it enough. The one glaring part that I could do without was Jay Burachals character but I believe he wrote and directed the movie :laugh:

I just thought it was part of the overall joke that his skating was still abysmal and yet they iced him because they sucked so bad.

The only person in the film I'm not a fan of is douchebro best friend played by that guy...

Yes sir!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
FYI just because I had no idea. But for our out of town fans, nhl.tv is amazing when compared to CenterIce. I would never do CenterIce again.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
thanks to the sched makers the team is off for a week. lets take this time to post your favourite songs. rate the one above you and keep it going.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually love a lot of the California Punk bands from that era, but not really NOFX. I think I just don't like Fat Mike's voice.

I'm not even sure how to embed video's on the new format of the forum. It was easier with the youtube tag on the old forum. I'm gonna have to figure this out.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
I actually love a lot of the California Punk bands from that era, but not really NOFX. I think I just don't like Fat Mike's voice.

I'm not even sure how to embed video's on the new format of the forum. It was easier with the youtube tag on the old forum. I'm gonna have to figure this out.

fat mike is pretty annoying ill be the first to admit it lol. when you make a post just click the media tab and copy the url. the media tab is the one that looks like two disks or two film negatives.... two to the right of the happy face.

so i guess you are down with bad religion?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
fat mike is pretty annoying ill be the first to admit it lol. when you make a post just click the media tab and copy the url. the media tab is the one that looks like two disks or two film negatives.... two to the right of the happy face.
Thanks dude! I think I got it now!

Not exactly my favorite song, as I don't really have one, but definitely something I like from the early Epitaph days! I used to get stuff from Epitaph in the mail, back when I was like 15-19 and we didn't have the internet yet haha. I like a majority of those Epitaph bands, but usually passed on NOFX, just due to the vocals. Pennywise was pretty cool back then, but I haven't listened to any of their newer stuff. The Offspring was pretty cool back then, before becoming a Pop band in the late 90's. Rancid is pretty good, but I liked Operation Ivy better. Operation Ivy is still one of the my favorite bands.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
remember compilation CD's??? those were the days haha. great choices thanks for giving me some stuff to listen to tonight.
anyone else? i see weve set a punk precedent but ill listen to anything!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mostly like a lot of of the 80's Hardcore Punk. Black Flag (Ron Reyes was my favorite Black Flag vocalist, but every singer other than Rollins had a very limited catalog, due to how short their tenure's were). I really like Social Distortion, before they turned into a Country-ish band in the late 80's and early 90's. Don't get me wrong, Prison Bound and the self titled albums had some cool songs, but they totally lost me with that album they did after that. The two radio singles were actually the best songs on that album. They redeemed themselves in the late 90's and early 00's, with a couple decent albums, with less Country influence. I loved some of the stuff from the UK. Some of it's like the coolest stuff ever when you're 15 or 16, then some of it is also ridiculous when you get to be 17. I love the first few Clash albums, but they completely lost me with Sandinista. There's a couple good songs on it, but just a couple.

Operation Ivy was a cool band, but they broke up after just an album and an EP. Half of the band ended up forming Rancid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
remember compilation CD's??? those were the days haha. great choices thanks for giving me some stuff to listen to tonight.
anyone else? i see weve set a punk precedent but ill listen to anything!
I used to get quite a few from Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords, back in the day. I would often make my own mix tapes (dating myself here) back when you had to be a rich kid to have a CD player! Revelation Records In-Flight Program was a god one. It had a few clunkers from some of the meh Revelation bands, but also a lot of good stuff. It had a everything from Youth Of Today, Judge and Gorilla Biscuits, to some of the early 90's rock stuff like Texas Is The Reason, Quicksand, Into Another. Those are actually some of my favorite bands. Non-Hardcore bands, with musicians that were originally in Hardcore bands and came from that scene. Quicksand has a new record out next month, first record since 95. I'm pretty excited for that one. Already heard two tracks from it. One is pretty good, the other is good, but not great.

A majority of what I listen to is Hardcore and Punk, and Post-Hardcore stuff. I'm not a huge Iron Maiden fan, but there's a handful of songs that I can never stop listening to, and this is probably the one of the best songs I've ever heard. If you were to ask me my favorite Punk song, I couldn't list just one. If you were to ask me my favorite Metal song, it's this and that's undisputed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad