OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If I want to rekindle my youth and play an NHL video game, which gaming system & game is the best?

Ideally, I'd like something with "Season mode", where you can play the actual season schedule, and the game keeps track of injuries, suspensions, trades, etc... so you dont have to do that crap yourself.

It would be great if there was an ex post facto setting so even if you started playing the full season in February, it would know who was & wasnt on the team from October's opening night through whatever date you started playing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Walking Dead is really about to take an even larger freefall in the ratings department, even though it kind of already has over the last couple seasons. It's a shame, because it's been a good half season, but last year really pissed off a lot of people.

Not confirmed yet, but lots of rumblings that Carl is being offed next week in the mid-season finale. The actor wants to go to college and hasn't been on set since late August, which would be the time they filmed the mid-season finale, as they were still filming the remainder of season 8 up until about 10 days ago. This is really gonna kill a lot of potential comic storyline's and someone is at least going to have to replace Carl's comic book storyline's. This is going to kill ratings even more, even if you don't like the actor or the character. And you can't keep Negan alive like you do in the comics, if he kills Carl, even though he may not be the one to actually kill him. You can't keep him prisoner like in the comics, after killing both Glen and having Carl killed. Not sure how that would make sense for either Maggie or Rick. Or even Michonne, who has taken on the motherly role for Carl. I think Talking Dead confirmed it tonight, without confirming it, as did the preview for next week. It was like ''Don't miss the mid-season finale to see the shocking ending'' or something. Which Talking Dead then continued to expand on. I don't see how this show goes on for 15-20 years, like the writers have been so adamant about. I'd be shocked if it was still on 5 years from now.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The Walking Dead is really about to take an even larger freefall in the ratings department, even though it kind of already has over the last couple seasons. It's a shame, because it's been a good half season, but last year really pissed off a lot of people.

Not confirmed yet, but lots of rumblings that Carl is being offed next week in the mid-season finale. The actor wants to go to college and hasn't been on set since late August, which would be the time they filmed the mid-season finale, as they were still filming the remainder of season 8 up until about 10 days ago. This is really gonna kill a lot of potential comic storyline's and someone is at least going to have to replace Carl's comic book storyline's. This is going to kill ratings even more, even if you don't like the actor or the character. And you can't keep Negan alive like you do in the comics, if he kills Carl, even though he may not be the one to actually kill him. You can't keep him prisoner like in the comics, after killing both Glen and having Carl killed. Not sure how that would make sense for either Maggie or Rick. Or even Michonne, who has taken on the motherly role for Carl. I think Talking Dead confirmed it tonight, without confirming it, as did the preview for next week. It was like ''Don't miss the mid-season finale to see the shocking ending'' or something. Which Talking Dead then continued to expand on. I don't see how this show goes on for 15-20 years, like the writers have been so adamant about. I'd be shocked if it was still on 5 years from now.

I used to really be into TWD but it's just awful now. I forget for weeks at a time that's it's even on and then catch up when I can. This year has been pretty meh, the same dumb we're going to war crap over and over, those battle scenes over the first four episodes were so piss poor. A budget college film with some after effects could produce the same. However I did like the one with Father Gabe and Negan trapped in that trailer, that was really good, got some good insight on both their backgrounds. Last weeks was pretty good with Eugene too. They just spent way too much time with those silly little battles for half the season.

It's just so stale now, it's just the same pep talk speeches over and over or one character consoling another with another feel good it's going to be ok be strong speech lol. There's a reason why it's never won any writing or acting awards and why the ratings are down, it's just sub par production, writing and acting. After all these years that's why I'm still pissed that Frank Darabont is gone and all the good actors that played Shane, Andrea and Dale are gone as well (they pretty much bailed when he got fired). The last good one was Scott Wilson (Herschel). That being said I still kinda want to see what happens as long as it's on, I'm kinda just over it though.

Regarding you're spoiler, I did hear something like that.

I can see it happening cause of Carls age and Chandler Riggs just outgrew him during filming, it's tough now to do a lot of the comic stuff. If true the thing that sucks is The Walking Dead is first and foremost a story about Rick and Carl. Not sure what's going to happen with Negan yet but who knows if he takes out Carl. They are definitely setting it up for a big character to be knocked off.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I used to really be into TWD but it's just awful now. I forget for weeks at a time that's it's even on and then catch up when I can. This year has been pretty meh, the same dumb we're going to war crap over and over, those battle scenes over the first four episodes were so piss poor. A budget college film with some after effects could produce the same. However I did like the one with Father Gabe and Negan trapped in that trailer, that was really good, got some good insight on both their backgrounds. Last weeks was pretty good with Eugene too. They just spent way too much time with those silly little battles for half the season.

It's just so stale now, it's just the same pep talk speeches over and over or one character consoling another with another feel good it's going to be ok be strong speech lol. There's a reason why it's never won any writing or acting awards and why the ratings are down, it's just sub par production, writing and acting. After all these years that's why I'm still pissed that Frank Darabont is gone and all the good actors that played Shane, Andrea and Dale are gone as well (they pretty much bailed when he got fired). The last good one was Scott Wilson (Herschel). That being said I still kinda want to see what happens as long as it's on, I'm kinda just over it though.

Regarding you're spoiler, I did hear something like that.

I can see it happening cause of Carls age and Chandler Riggs just outgrew him during filming, it's tough now to do a lot of the comic stuff. If true the thing that sucks is The Walking Dead is first and foremost a story about Rick and Carl. Not sure what's going to happen with Negan yet but who knows if he takes out Carl. They are definitely setting it up for a big character to be knocked off.
I actually have liked this season, but last season was soooooo bad. I think I liked about 4 of the episodes at all? I liked Fear The Walking Dead's last season MUCH better than season 7 of the original Walking Dead. I liked all of the seasons of Fear better than last season of the original. They also make Negan out to be such a nice guy here. He almost has to do something to make him more hateable in the mid-season finale. He's kind of ruthless sometimes, but he's not as bad as the governor and he's really not as bad as some of his lieutenants. I think we all but have confirmation that Simon was the one who killed all the boys and men, ages 10 and up at the all women community that we've seen a couple times. Negan has never been for a mass killing, and Simon already proposed going to the hilltop and taking out everyone to send a message. Dwight is supposed to be a good guy/double agent now, yet he threw that doctor under the bus (more like in the oven) for no reason, and that's if he was even redeemable after the Denise kill. And then after Morgan comes back from hippie pacifist Morgan, Jesus takes on that role. A couple of them seem like they're okay people, but you gotta watch out for that long haired, Seattle grunge looking guy. By the way, the Morales return was corny as hell. They brought him back for literally 5 minutes of air time, over 2 episodes? Pssshhh.

There's speculation that the character whose death is in question, will have their comic role replaced with that kid from the Kingdom who was following Carol around in last week's episode. He's the younger brother of the kid that Seattle grunge looking savior killed last season, when they were having one of their collection meetings in that parking lot they used to meet in. I do think it's happening, and I don't pay attention for spoilers or go looking for them, but this one was hard to ignore. Last spoiler that I came across was Glen's death, which turned to not be his death, as it was during the filming of season 5 and the only long term character to die in the first half of that season was Beth in the mid-season finale. Supposedly the crew was all sad about it when they filmed Glen's death, but there was no way it could have been his. Maybe it was Beth they were sad about and it was misinformation? Another weird thing is they have Carl befriend this new character they brought in, and they're kill him now? Whatever happens, it seems like he's really gonna bite the bullet here. Especially with the end of the episode, with the coming attractions saying ''Don't miss the shocking ending that everyone will be talking about when the episode ends!'' or something like that, which Talking Dead later also mentioned and hyped. I was thinking it was gonna be a cliffhanger, where they didn't reveal Carl dying until they come back in February, but that they would show something happening. And he has gotten a lot older since season 1. Supposedly, I don't even think it's been 2 years in the show storyline, since the series premiered. Carl looked like he was about 10 or 11 years old in the first season, now he appears to be in his later teens. Just with this season so far. I think the first 7 episodes have taken place over TWO DAYS! Like 24 hours!

Reactions: JK3

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I tapped out of TWD a long time ago, and it doesn't sound like I've missed much. It started to feel like a show that's just been on too long. I've always felt that drama series tend to get stale after the 5 season mark. Even GOT, which is still my favorite show currently running, fell off a bit the last couple seasons (although much of it is necessary to get to the endgame). With TWD there just seems to be no endgame in sight, and it's likely just going to get worse.

Reactions: Darkauron

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Anyone watch Mindhunter on Netflix? Started the other day and got through one episode and wanted to binge but kids kinda hamper binging Netflix these days. It’s got really great reviews and two friends who were able to watch it in its entirety say it was terrific. I can’t wait to watch more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I tapped out of TWD a long time ago, and it doesn't sound like I've missed much. It started to feel like a show that's just been on too long. I've always felt that drama series tend to get stale after the 5 season mark. Even GOT, which is still my favorite show currently running, fell off a bit the last couple seasons (although much of it is necessary to get to the endgame). With TWD there just seems to be no endgame in sight, and it's likely just going to get worse.
Originally, they were supposed to end the series when they reached the Alexandria safe zone. Which was around the 3/4th's mark of season 5, but if they had ended it there, they probably would have stretched the cannibals storyline out a few more episodes and ended it with them getting to Alexandria in the season 5 finale.

With how successful the series became, they decided to keep going, I guess. The creators have claimed they could do it for 15-20 years, but I'd be completely shocked if it were still on in 5 years from now or more than 5 years from now. 5 years from the end of this season will be April of 2023, that will be 13 seasons, barring a Sopranos-like stretch with a lot of backstage strife and money holdouts, causing the season's to not start on time or at the same time every year, which I don't happening. So, April of 2023 is probably the series finale at the LATEST!

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Regarding TWD

You know what, now that I thought about it for while it might be Eugene that gets taken out. He just had a whole episode pretty much dedicated to him plus Father Gabe gave him the benefit of the the doubt with his little speech. Pretty much every single character that's been knocked off has an episode focused on them right before they die, usually you can see it a mile away, in this case it was the previous episode.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Originally, they were supposed to end the series when they reached the Alexandria safe zone. Which was around the 3/4th's mark of season 5, but if they had ended it there, they probably would have stretched the cannibals storyline out a few more episodes and ended it with them getting to Alexandria in the season 5 finale.

With how successful the series became, they decided to keep going, I guess. The creators have claimed they could do it for 15-20 years, but I'd be completely shocked if it were still on in 5 years from now or more than 5 years from now. 5 years from the end of this season will be April of 2023, that will be 13 seasons, barring a Sopranos-like stretch with a lot of backstage strife and money holdouts, causing the season's to not start on time or at the same time every year, which I don't happening. So, April of 2023 is probably the series finale at the LATEST!

They will drag this show out for as long as it’s making them butt loads of money from all the fans that are still watching it. While I scream at the lack of good writing in almost each episode, I’m happy with still watching it as crap shows like Real Housewives and the Kardashians continue to make those morons multi millions with each season. Quite happy to say I’ve never seen a second of those shows besides the commercials.

Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They will drag this show out for as long as it’s making them butt loads of money from all the fans that are still watching it. While I scream at the lack of good writing in almost each episode, I’m happy with still watching it as crap shows like Real Housewives and the Kardashians continue to make those morons multi millions with each season. Quite happy to say I’ve never seen a second of those shows besides the commercials.

There's pretty much nothing on the networks these days that's worth still having cable. Pretty much everything I watch is either on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There's pretty much nothing on the networks these days that's worth still having cable. Pretty much everything I watch is either on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

I’m still very confused by all of these pay sites since Netflix came out. I signed up for Netflix towards the beginning but I refuse to pay $10 here and there for a bunch of different copy cats with their own original programming. Hearing that Marvel and Disney will be pulling their programming and creating their own site will just create another new site I won’t use.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I’m still very confused by all of these pay sites since Netflix came out. I signed up for Netflix towards the beginning but I refuse to pay $10 here and there for a bunch of different copy cats with their own original programming. Hearing that Marvel and Disney will be pulling their programming and creating their own site will just create another new site I won’t use.

It does start to add up if you use the various services. I'm sure I'll pay for Disney's new service when it comes out, especially now that they're buying 20th Century Fox, and will have all the Star Wars content.

Speaking of streaming servives, for some reason my PS4 streams like shit. Trying to watch a game through the NHL app is impossible as the quality drops constantly. Netflix works relatively well. Amazon streams like garbage, and Hulu is hit or miss. Yet they all stream perfectly fine on my phone for some reason.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It does start to add up if you use the various services. I'm sure I'll pay for Disney's new service when it comes out, especially now that they're buying 20th Century Fox, and will have all the Star Wars content.

Speaking of streaming servives, for some reason my PS4 streams like ****. Trying to watch a game through the NHL app is impossible as the quality drops constantly. Netflix works relatively well. Amazon streams like garbage, and Hulu is hit or miss. Yet they all stream perfectly fine on my phone for some reason.

I found the same thing. I tend to just stream the nhl on my phone or tablet for this reason, plus it leaves the tv open for the rest of the family.

I’ve been hearing the Disney/Marvel aquiring Fox rumors for months (heated up this past week), but have you seen anything set in stone?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I found the same thing. I tend to just stream the nhl on my phone or tablet for this reason, plus it leaves the tv open for the rest of the family.

I’ve been hearing the Disney/Marvel aquiring Fox rumors for months (heated up this past week), but have you seen anything set in stone?

Nothing is set in stone, but apparently both sides have teams of bankers working on the fine print, so it sounds like barring something unforeseen it's going to happen. I don't think Disney's streaming platform is going to be up until 2019 though, so we've still got a while before that hits. Hopefully it's something similar to what Netflix costs.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Nothing is set in stone, but apparently both sides have teams of bankers working on the fine print, so it sounds like barring something unforeseen it's going to happen. I don't think Disney's streaming platform is going to be up until 2019 though, so we've still got a while before that hits. Hopefully it's something similar to what Netflix costs.

Grew up with Marvel comics. The thought of Marvel/Disney getting to Add in X-men and friends and give the X-men the Avengers treatment is very exciting for me.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Grew up with Marvel comics. The thought of Marvel/Disney getting to Add in X-men and friends and give the X-men the Avengers treatment is very exciting for me.

It's almost perfect timing for them to bring X-Men into the MCU if they want to (especially if some characters get killed off in the next two Avengers movies).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's almost perfect timing for them to bring X-Men into the MCU if they want to (especially if some characters get killed off in the next two Avengers movies).

I hope they recast the X-men and start it all over. Either way, they will definitely have to rewrite the next phase.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Since you SOBs ignored my last entertainment question, I'll try a different once.

What are your favorite websites for checking a potpourri of live sports scores (NHL, NFL, MLB, PGA, etc...)?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If I want to rekindle my youth and play an NHL video game, which gaming system & game is the best?

Ideally, I'd like something with "Season mode", where you can play the actual season schedule, and the game keeps track of injuries, suspensions, trades, etc... so you dont have to do that crap yourself.

It would be great if there was an ex post facto setting so even if you started playing the full season in February, it would know who was & wasnt on the team from October's opening night through whatever date you started playing.

Your last msg gave me a chuckle so I had to look back.

It’s either Xbox or PlayStation. I prefer Xbox due to the amount of other titles available but nhl is on both systems. Nhl does roster updates every once in a while and you can choose to download them or not if you want.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Since you SOBs ignored my last entertainment question, I'll try a different once.

What are your favorite websites for checking a potpourri of live sports scores (NHL, NFL, MLB, PGA, etc...)?

Honestly very interested to see any replies to this because the espn app is the one thing I support espn with (haven’t watched the channel in years) and I really want to stop using it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For me, it's a show that when you watch it from the beginning, you gotta watch it to the end.

I thought The Sopranos started to lack in quality in the last few seasons, though not as much as this show. No shame here, I liked Fear The Walking Dead last season, more than what the original series gave me last year. It's cool to hate on Fear, but it's not bad.

I'm surprised in last episode, they let Rick beat up on all the filthy garbage people. He always seems to get outworked by some character that you would expect him to be tougher than. I hate when they do that. I know he's not a big guy, but they even made him look weak when they made it look like that Pete guy (a doctor, who was at least the same age as him, if not older) got the best of him in season 5. That random big savior guy almost killed him a few episodes back, the governor almost choked him to death before Michonne came to the rescue. I almost think Dwight or frickin giant beanpole Simon are gonna beat him up in this next episode.

Morgan on FTWD could be cool, but hoping he isn't killed off the original series. He really doesn't have to be, in order to appear on FTWD, as FTWD is still close to 2 years behind the TWD universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->