OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I watched the series premiere of Preacher, because it looked like it was gonna be really good when I saw the preview commercial that they kept showing.

Then I watched it and couldn't even make it to the end of the first episode, and gave up on it after that.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Yeah I really like it (see my avy), surprised I haven't seen anyone on here talking about it. Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on cause it's so out there.
I'm actually starting to predict some things because i expect it to be so out there now. Like the Japanese soul sellers. Also needs more arseface

The way JK3 described it is why I didn't get past 15 minutes. Just didn't care for the vibe or feel of the show and I'm typically the type to guy through 3 episodes to give a new show a chance. Preachers feel reminded me very much of Legion in which I felt pretty much the same way.

Couldn't stand Legion. It felt artsy just to be artsy.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
After I checked out some of the comics (amazing artwork especially the covers) and looked up some of the characters on Wiki I finally figured out what the deal was. That first episode was pretty confusing, a bit weird to put it on the viewers to research the show but it definitely got me more into it.

Heard maybe read somewhere that the first season doesn't happen in the books. It was just to set up where the comics start. Any truth to that?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Finally started watching GoT and binged on the first season last night. Poor Ned. Looking forward to seeing Tyrion in King's Landing.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yep, let's take one of my all time favorite animes and place it in Seattle.

FFS this death note movie was terrible.
Two thumbs down.

GG hipsters!

Yeah I have zero interest.

I did see they are making/made a Gintama live action movie. I have no idea how that is going to work out. How do you capture, well, that in live action?

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Yeah I have zero interest.

I did see they are making/made a Gintama live action movie. I have no idea how that is going to work out. How do you capture, well, that in live action?

Had no idea about this, googled it, and see they released in Japan this past July.

Welcome to 47 Ronin meets Independence Day LOL.
Smh...

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Had no idea about this, googled it, and see they released in Japan this past July.

Welcome to 47 Ronin meets Independence Day LOL.
Smh...

I mean, it could be interesting, but I feel like Gintama is a quintessential example of a show that is only truly possible in an animated medium. How can you ever capture that wackiness in live action?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yep, let's take one of my all time favorite animes and place it in Seattle.

FFS this death note movie was terrible.
Two thumbs down.

GG hipsters!

Attempting to watch it now. Can you elaborate on why you didn't like it compared to the anime? I haven't seen the original material ever.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I mean, it could be interesting, but I feel like Gintama is a quintessential example of a show that is only truly possible in an animated medium. How can you ever capture that wackiness in live action?

Well with the right cast of characters and CGI, I believe anything is possible. The question really is if you can find a market to justify the payout to development in developers/time for the CGI. Unfortunately with how niche anime is, you won't see eight to nine-digit numbers being tossed around for development and box office sales. Hence why we see it being released in Japan first; which I'm sure is used as a barometer to gauge interest in other markets as well.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well with the right cast of characters and CGI, I believe anything is possible. The question really is if you can find a market to justify the payout to development in developers/time for the CGI. Unfortunately with how niche anime is, you won't see eight to nine-digit numbers being tossed around for development and box office sales. Hence why we see it being released in Japan first; which I'm sure is used as a barometer to gauge interest in other markets as well.

It would have to be one hell of a large budget.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Attempting to watch it now. Can you elaborate on why you didn't like it compared to the anime? I haven't seen the original material ever.

All spoilers are in white text!

Ok here goes, this will be a very long post so my apologies if it's TL;DR.

First things first, while yes, I understand that the director attempted to fast forward the plot of the anime to ensure that the "meat" could fit into an hour and fourty minutes... this simply cannot be done with an anime like Death Note. I'm sorry, this is nothing more than a circus movie thinly veiled to gauge American interest in one of the all-time great animes. This movie sold itself short by removing the purist American audience and attempting to appease the hipsters and emotional teenagers of the United States. Pathetic at best, and quite frankly, infuriating.

What made (IMO) the anime so good was the evolution of a character from a sincerely interested pro-social "savior" to a power hungry pseudo "God" whose own ego buries him. The plot of L vs. Light is so deeply vetted in genius and logic, all while made apparent to even the dumbest observer. Liken it to Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty. It isn't just two genuises pitting their intellects against each other. It's much more, it's personal. Such a plot requires time to play out, to allow for the twists and turns of the serve and return. It's through this process of intellectual combat that you endear yourself to the side of L or Light. Because after watching the anime you will quickly ask yourself: "What really is justice?".
The movie doesn't engage the audience even in the slightest regarding this fact. The very poor (near Twilight levels) of romance between "Mia" (who is Misa in the anime) and Light is nothing more than a distraction.

To this point:

In the anime, Light isn't coached through his decisions by Misa. If anything, it is the other way around.

Look no further than SPOILER:

How Light "coaches" (more like manipulation) Rem and Misa through L's suspicion of Light while both Misa and L are locked away under 24HR surveillance.

The love story is overdone, as in the anime SPOILER:

Light says himself that he will USE Misa's adoration for him as a means to further his own twisted identity of being a savior. There is very little love given from Light to Misa at any point during the Anime. It's all a manipulation.

On to what I think of L.
This absolutely pissed me off. ALOT is assumed of what he knows about Light. You are left thinking "ok, this guy is a genius... so I'll just believe what he says". The amount of time provided in the anime to simply experience L (and Light's) deductive reasoning skills is (IMO) very entertaining.
In the movie, you see see him make rather large sweeping assumptions, such as:

1) Light is in Seattle, based on the fact that a criminal was killed whose identity was only shown on Seattle TV networks? Very weak logic.
2) Light is Kira, simply because he didn't kill his Dad? Also very weak logic.

In the anime L uses many tests to confirm his supsicions of Light SPOILER:

Putting a criminal on TV to pose as L, to see if Kira can kill with only a face and name.
Observing the times of killings, which he deduces to after school hours (due to light being a student)
L releasing criminal identities in batches across the world to observe spikes in Kira killings leading to a possible regional location.
Placing cameras in Lights house to observe his behaviors after school - which reveals the infamous "potato chip" scene.

You'll just have to watch the anime to see how much better they could've done with L. And the whole ending with him supposedly writing Light's name into the Death Note page? GTFO with that BS.

Here's a HUGE SPOLIER:

LIGHT USES REM - MISA'S SHINIGAMI (DEATH GOD) - TO KILL L AND WATARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEP, MISA HAS HER OWN DEATH NOTE AND SHINIGAMI IN THE ANIME!

Ugh there is just so much more I hated.
And again, before anyone says "they cant fit this all into a movie", then my response will be DON'T MAKE THE MOVIE!

Near isn't even mentioned, Mia should've been able to see Ryuk after touching the death note, and the whole Light's Mom being dead sub plot completely distracted from the ego-maniacal motivation seen from Light in the anime.

I have to get to bed, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask ^.^!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I didn't get to finish the movie but wanted to say thank you for your detailed response. I've seen that they have made other live action movies previously. Have you seen any of those?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
All spoilers are in white text!

Long Quote

To this point, this is a big reason why movies can't properly capture the essence of a series. How can you possibly attempt to capture the complex evolution of both a plot and the development of character relationships (in addition to personal character growth and change) in 2 or 3 hours that originally took 2 or more seasons of 20+, 20 minute episodes to capture?

To this same point, this is a big reason why animes often fall short of the manga they were based on; or the game/light novel they were based on. Now apply this to a movie based on a series of books. You skip right over the television series and cut out virtually everything. This is why it's literally impossible for a movie to hold a candle to an original series of books. Even wildly successful movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the rings need a series of movies to attempt to do so and still can't.

Anyway, I'm now attempting to fill in the gaps in FSN that really bugged me by playing the game. I said I wouldn't, but there was too much I was wondering about. And honestly, just starting the game has already filled some gaps. For now, Fate Zero is on hold.

I also started Bakemonogatari on a whim. It's pretty interesting so far.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I didn't get to finish the movie but wanted to say thank you for your detailed response. I've seen that they have made other live action movies previously. Have you seen any of those?

I haven't, largely because I'm extremely leery of live action movies. Even in Japan, where a majority are released, such movies are considered for the most die hard of fans.

It's like this, live action movies are to anime what virtual reality is to gaming. It's that small voice that cries to see 'what it would be like if it were MORE real...'. In the end you get an unfisnished product that leaves you wanting more.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
To this point, this is a big reason why movies can't properly capture the essence of a series. How can you possibly attempt to capture the complex evolution of both a plot and the development of character relationships (in addition to personal character growth and change) in 2 or 3 hours that originally took 2 or more seasons of 20+, 20 minute episodes to capture?

To this same point, this is a big reason why animes often fall short of the manga they were based on; or the game/light novel they were based on. Now apply this to a movie based on a series of books. You skip right over the television series and cut out virtually everything. This is why it's literally impossible for a movie to hold a candle to an original series of books. Even wildly successful movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the rings need a series of movies to attempt to do so and still can't.

Anyway, I'm now attempting to fill in the gaps in FSN that really bugged me by playing the game. I said I wouldn't, but there was too much I was wondering about. And honestly, just starting the game has already filled some gaps. For now, Fate Zero is on hold.

I also started Bakemonogatari on a whim. It's pretty interesting so far.

100% agreed. You bring up an interesting point about light novels, because yes, that's where ALOT of material is drawn from for animes. Heck, even most people recommended you read the FSN light novel before ufotable did it 'right' with UBW.

Which by the way, I'm wondering if you should jump into F/0 as the plot is placed before the events which occur in FSN, thus perhaps filling in some of the blanks?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
100% agreed. You bring up an interesting point about light novels, because yes, that's where ALOT of material is drawn from for animes. Heck, even most people recommended you read the FSN light novel before ufotable did it 'right' with UBW.

Which by the way, I'm wondering if you should jump into F/0 as the plot is placed before the events which occur in FSN, thus perhaps filling in some of the blanks?

It does fill in a little bit of the blanks. And as I have said before, F/0 is the best of any of the fate animated works now and into the future.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Like I said, I started it, and do plan to finish it. I'm not entirely sure why it was recommended to me that I start with Stay Night. Seems it would have made more sense to start with F/0, then Stay Night and UBW last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad