Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You wouldn't trade Seguin for McDavid? Is that what you're really saying?
Yes. In the cap world there is no player worth Connor Mcdavid. This kid looks unreal. He's having a better playoffs than Crosby his draft year. I wouldn't trade him straight across for Crosby, Stamkos nobody.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
in my view i think connor mcdavid is good but who knows about NHL Futures??

Remember these guys who were considered the next one

Alexander Daigle
Angelo Espiteso
Patrick Stefann

Those players were not in the same league as McDavid as far as potential goes.

EDM: Malkin + Reilly or Hanifin*(If Available)
TOR: McDavid
PIT: Kessel + 1st(2016-edm) or 1st(pits)

LOL so TML give up Kessel+Reilly or Hannafin and net McDavid... :laugh:

If I am Chia, I take the Florida deal. Done. I highly value McDavid but that offer would be too much for me to say no... and that ladies and gentlemen is what it would take to pry the #1 overall selection from the Edmonton Oilers, overpayment.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yes. In the cap world there is no player worth Connor Mcdavid. This kid looks unreal. He's having a better playoffs than Crosby his draft year. I wouldn't trade him straight across for Crosby, Stamkos nobody.

I was replying to a guy (Stars fan) who said he wouldn't trade Benn or Seguin for McDavid.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was replying to a guy (Stars fan) who said he wouldn't trade Benn or Seguin for McDavid.

I see that now my bad.

For comparison sake Seguin in his draft year played 63 games and had 106 points.

Mcdavid between regular season and playoffs right now has played 61 games and has 157 points.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
You wouldn't trade Seguin for McDavid? Is that what you're really saying?

That's what is being said.
With the chemistry Benn and Seguin have, it would be kinda idiotic to break that up in hopes of something working out. Besides McDavid is still unknown in the NHL. With both of the bros we know what we have. Benn is going to be scoring 85-90 point and Seguin is probably 100 point bound.
Surely McDavid could score more, also he could just end up as good as Seguin or who knows maybe worse. Anyway that would likely set Dallas back, as we are trying to get in to cup contention in the next year or two.

Last edited:

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
That's what is being said.
With the chemistry Benn and Seguin have, it would be kinda idiotic to break that up in hopes of something working out. Besides McDavid is still unknown in the NHL. With both of the bros we know what we have. Benn is going to be scoring 85-90 point and Seguin is probably 100 point bound.
Surely McDavid could be score more, also he could just end up as good as Seguin or who knows maybe worse. Anyway that would likely set Dallas back, as we are trying to get in to cup contention in the next year or two.

afadd97894e2f274adde37da391dac4d1e5f4e89daeaa24e498cc4fc5b0c260d.jpg

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I see that now my bad.

For comparison sake Seguin in his draft year played 63 games and had 106 points.

Mcdavid between regular season and playoffs right now has played 61 games and has 157 points.

Oh yeah that's like the best indicator...

Remember when the next Gretzky, Corey Locke, score 151 points in 66 games and added 38p in 23 playoff games. Damn is tearing up the league nowadays...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Remember when the next Gretzky, Corey Locke, score 151 points in 66 games and added 38p in 23 playoff games. Damn is tearing up the league nowadays...

If you ever thought Corey Locke was the next Gretzky, you either have serious talent evaluation problems, or more forgiveably, you're just remembering it wrong.

buttman*

Toronto would/should do a Lindros type deal.

Fix Edmonton:

4th overall (Hanifin)
Reilly
JVR
Bernier
Phaneuf

for

McDavid and a cap dump (Nikitin/Ferrence)

That's a goalie, JVR to round out their top 6 with Leon D. and 3 defencemen that will solidify their backend with Nurse and Klefbom.

If they want Komorov and Polak who are also great depth players -- they can have them as well. Would also substitue Kessel for JVR but for cap reasons that might not work.

If Edmonton wants to dump Scrivens or Schultz they could add them as well.

Hall RNH Eberle
JVR Dras Yak

Nurse Phaneuf
Reilly Hanifin
Schultz Klefbom

Bernier

Last edited by a moderator:

buttman*

Well you could also watch McDavid and see the talent yourself. Seguin is a great player but McDavid is a step above.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Well you could also watch McDavid and see the talent yourself. Seguin is a great player but McDavid is a step above.

You have to include the situation a team is in when evaluating a trade. There's zero reason for Dallas to trade Seguin for a guy that is considered a step above him. That still doesn't address Dallas's needs. There's very few teams that would be willing to give up what would be required for McDavid.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Never said that he wasn't. Just answering the guy who thought junior points was a solid way to tell the future of the players...

I have watched McDavid play countless times, yet have seen none of his NHL games :)sarcasm: I'll add that here because sarcasm meters seem to be broken around here...) so it's hard to say that he will be clearly a step above. Let's wait for him to play a season in the show, or at least a handful of games. Surely if he reaches his potential, yes. But it's not a given.

Also the point from my perspective was that the extra 5-10 points and marginally better overall play from McDavid, 3-4 years from now is not beneficial to the Stars...

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Lindros type of package.
2 - Top Young NHL players
1 - Starting goaltender or Top goalie prospect
2 - Top prospects
2- Top picks Flyers gave up 2 1sts in the deal for Lindros.

Okay, I'll play.

B. Schenn
Simmonds
Stolarz
Cousins
Hagg
2015 7th OA
2016 1st

THEN for some reason the Hab's leave Price in net getting shelled and he walks past the coach on the bench and tells the GM, that will be his last game in MTL, thus being traded to Edm.

Last edited:

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Nobody will trade #1 Overall unless Crosby+ is involved. He is supposed to be the best player of the 21st century (so far). Don't see why a team would take a chance on trading that.

The #1 overall pick is always - and I mean always - horrendously overvalued by other teams. A team with a vast pool of young players can end up gutting championship caliber talent for the sake of hope.

The easiest example of this is Lindros, even though the situations aren't perfectly analogous. You make that trade 10 times out of 10 from the Quebec perspective and you don't think twice.

For arguments sake - if Chicago calls up Edmonton and goes, "Right, we'll give you our next 2 #1s, Teravainen, TVR, Pokka and Saad", Edmonton would be absolutely bat**** crazy to not take it, and Chicago would think they've stolen two more cups.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
For arguments sake - if Chicago calls up Edmonton and goes, "Right, we'll give you our next 2 #1s, Teravainen, TVR, Pokka and Saad", Edmonton would be absolutely bat**** crazy to not take it, and Chicago would think they've stolen two more cups.

Ah yes, two late firsts, a potential 2C in TT, two second-pairing defenseman (at best), and a winger in Saad (which Edmonton doesn't need) for the most hyped prospect since Crosby.

Where do they sign? That package is laughable.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I have a thought experiment for you. Taking age, contract and term into consideration what NHL player (or players) approximates the value of McDavid? You can ignore trade clauses because this is a simple thought experiment. Please do not include prospects or draft picks in the discussion of McDavid's value.

For example, if McDavid is valued at AAa- what player or players as a package is also rated as AAa-?

Bonus points for the fairest deal.

He's priceless...

\thread.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I think it would be best for my mental health to stop perusing HFBoards for the next 9 months, because reading "McDavid's unproven at the NHL level" 10²⁴ times would ultimately be far, far more frustrating than any possible benefits could make up for.

Isn't this supposed to be 'Hockey's Future'? Where we (for fun) evaluate and project the future potential of hockey prospects? Aren't we supposed to be relatively knowledgeable about hockey prospects, with at least minimal abilities at judging skill levels, and probable NHL upsides?

Anybody who says Connor McDavid *could* bust, or not be (at the very least) a very elite player, is either new to the game, completely inept at talent evaluation, or (probably the case most often) using their (silly) team fandom (and its inherent pride considerations) to cloud their judgement.

I wish we could have a version of hfboards where only people unsullied by 'cheering for a team' would opine... unfortunately, that site would likely only be used by myself and Bob McKenzie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad