Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

HabsMtl

Jun 5, 2013
Quebec
I have a thought experiment for you. Taking age, contract and term into consideration what NHL player (or players) approximates the value of McDavid? You can ignore trade clauses because this is a simple thought experiment. Please do not include prospects or draft picks in the discussion of McDavid's value.

For example, if McDavid is valued at AAa- what player or players as a package is also rated as AAa-?

Bonus points for the fairest deal.

Galchenyuk + Tinordi + Tom Gilbert

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
OT: What is McDavid's HF rating? Couldn't find it...

Was surprised to see Eichel at 8B.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I've only seen highlights, other than World Juniors until this series with the Soo. He's unreal, his speed is insane. If he can bring that same game to the NHL, there is no way he won't be a top 5 player in the world in the matter of 3 to 5 years.

As for trading him, to me it would take a boatload, but as good as he looks, he is still a junior hockey player who is unproven as a PRO. If the right deal came along, such as...

MON - Subban and Price.

or

OTT - Karlsson, Lazar, and Turris.

or

NSH - Weber and Josi/Jones.

or

LA - Doughty, Toffoli, and Jones.

or

FLA - Barkov, Bjukstad, and Ekblad.

or

BUF - Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto.

or

WAS - Backstrom, Wilson, and Carlson.

or

STL - Tarensko, Pietrangelo, and Allan.

or

DAL - Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg.

or

COL - Mackinnon, Barrie, and E. Johnson.

or

ARZ - OEL, Hanifan, Domi, and Duclare.

These are the deals that would make me consider trading Connor, some seem like no brainers, some are still a little iffy. One thing is for sure, not many teams, if any, would be willing to pay the asking price to acquire him.

There are a lot of joke offers in this thread. These are great approximations of what it would take. Generational talents bring more than just their on-ice contributions to a team.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
When was the last time the best team in the league traded their best player they've ever had after the best season in their franchise history? In any sport?

Seth Jones ++ is as high as we'd go Imo.
Edmonton isn't the best team in the league, hell I'm not sure if they're a top 5 team :laugh:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Rangers: McDonagh + Kreider + Zibanejad + Shestyorkin + Chytil

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
The only trade I entertain is from Toronto

Matthews Nylander and Marner for

Mc David and 1st in 2018, 2019

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
The only trade I entertain is from Toronto

Matthews Nylander and Marner for

Mc David and 1st in 2018, 2019

It would still be just plain "No" from me. Zero chance we trade McDavid. Guys like him born once in 25 years or so.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oiler fan here.

McDavid to Florida for:

Aaron Ekblad with 1 million retained.

Alexander Barkov with 1 million retained.

Oilers get a potential #1 defenseman (with health issues) and a potential #1b center to along with Leon. The salary retained makes it worth it for the Oilers in terms of cap.

The hockey value of this deal is in favor of Edmonton if only slightly IMO. The market value of this trade obviously in favor of Florida.

Don't care if this is ridiculous from either perspective but after watching how amazing Conner is, and still most likely to improve, that's the kind of deal I would expect back in return for Conner. Honestly maybe even a pick or a prospect to Edmonton as well.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If the oilers said Mc d was available to the highest bidder teams would be backing the truck up. Any deal for Mcd would be lopsided in the Oilers favor

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00