Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I think the best realistic deal from any team would be from Florida:

Ekblad + Barkov + Huberdeau + 2015 1st

Florida still has a line up of:

Jokinen - Bjugstad - Jagr
Pirri - McDavid - Hayes
Grimaldi - Bolland - Boyes
Upshall - Trocheck - Kopecky
Mckenzie - Thornton

Kulikov - Gudbranson
Campbell - Petrovic
McCoshen - Mitchell
Matheson

Goalies:
Luongo
Montoya/Ellis

While say, Edmonton, gets

Hall - Barkov - Eberle
Huberdeau - RNH - Yakupov
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Purcell
Gazdic - Gordon - Pakirinen
Pitlick - Fraser

Nikitin - Fayne
Nurse - Ekblad
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference

Fasth
Scrivens

Realistic??:laugh: Tallon wont gut the core for McDavid. Everyone knows Oilers wont trade that pick. But Ekblad + 1st is more than fair. Ekblad is already a defenseman at 19 years old. Barkov and Huberdeau with him is laughable.

You dont trade a future #1 center #1 defenseman and #1 winger + a 1st in a great draft for McDavid:facepalm:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Florida's offer is easily the best.

I'll throw my :canes hat in the ring.

McDavid for Justin Faulk (1D), Jordan Staal (1 or 2C), and Elias Lindholm (potential top line 70 point forward). Then I'd pray to all that is holy that Hanifin falls to #5 overall or else we as a franchise are screwed defensively.

Basically, I'd match the TML idea of "take any 3 players from our roster.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Monster packages for one player do not make sense. It guts the team giving up the package too much to compete, as one player does not a team make.

That said, as an Oiler fan, the only package I have seen that really interests me is that crazy Florida one.

McDavid is like nothing Ive ever seen out of a prospect. I would much rather the Oilers hold onto him and see what he can become than give him up. Even if the return is insane. He's too good to trade, full stop.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
How about NYR trade McDonagh, McIlrath, Talbot and #2 this year for #1 overall. Is that in the ballpark?

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I think the best realistic deal from any team would be from Florida:

Ekblad + Barkov + Huberdeau + 2015 1st

Florida still has a line up of:

Jokinen - Bjugstad - Jagr
Pirri - McDavid - Hayes
Grimaldi - Bolland - Boyes
Upshall - Trocheck - Kopecky
Mckenzie - Thornton

Kulikov - Gudbranson
Campbell - Petrovic
McCoshen - Mitchell
Matheson

Goalies:
Luongo
Montoya/Ellis

While say, Edmonton, gets

Hall - Barkov - Eberle
Huberdeau - RNH - Yakupov
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Purcell
Gazdic - Gordon - Pakirinen
Pitlick - Fraser

Nikitin - Fayne
Nurse - Ekblad
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference

Fasth
Scrivens
Yeah, Florida would never do that. I would definitely consider McDavid for Ekblad and Barkov though. I'm actually pretty sure i would do it without thinking.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This thread is complete nonsense. Florida fan offering all that for mcdavid. Oilers fans merely calling it intriguing. I like McDavid and think that he will be generational. But even prime Crosby isn't worth what that florida offer was giving up. This is pure insanity.

As to the original Op. Hypothetical value of MCDavid at this point that would make the most sense to Edmonton would be something like....Subban/karlsson/doughty/weber/mcdonagh. Maybe a teeny tiny sweetener thrown in. That's it. Anything else cause more holes in a team than they can plug and simply doesn't make sense.

THAT is the value of Mcdavid. But that does. Mean oilers would or should trade him for something like that.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Could not possibly be anymore hypothetical however OP said we could cross between teams. So would the following group of players hold enough value for one of the top two picks:

E. Kane (50%) salary
C. Pickard
J. Gaudreu
D. Pastrnak
B. Dumoulin

I am way off in dreamland with this one I know

eyyyyy hands off my Pasta!

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
This thread is complete nonsense. Florida fan offering all that for mcdavid. Oilers fans merely calling it intriguing. I like McDavid and think that he will be generational. But even prime Crosby isn't worth what that florida offer was giving up. This is pure insanity.

As to the original Op. Hypothetical value of MCDavid at this point that would make the most sense to Edmonton would be something like....Subban/karlsson/doughty/weber/mcdonagh. Maybe a teeny tiny sweetener thrown in. That's it. Anything else cause more holes in a team than they can plug and simply doesn't make sense.

THAT is the value of Mcdavid. But that does. Mean oilers would or should trade him for something like that.

No, they really shouldnt.
You're pointing out some of the best Dmen in the league right now. Nothing to scoff at.
But you're talking about the most valuable piece in the league, and possibly the best player to enter the NHL in 30 years. No guarantee, but I would say that it is all but guaranteed he will be more impactful to a team than any of those Dmen you mentioned.

Sure, getting one of those guys would instantly make Edmonton a respectable team, but with some shrewd moves it's possible Edmonton can become a contender within McD's ELC anyways.

Where is the incentive to move him?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The only real comparable we have to the value of the McDavid pick and circumstances is when Lindros was traded at the draft.
That trade looked like this:
The Flyers trade had the Nordiques receiving Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, the rights to Peter Forsberg, the Flyers first-round pick in 1992 (7th overall) and 1993, and $15 million.

4 solid players at the time, a good young prospect, 7th overall and next years 1st plus what ever cash is worth now a days (cap relief?)

Malreg

May 12, 2011
In today's NHL and salary-cap world, I don't think there is a single 2 player package that would make me consider trading McDavid.

When you take everything into account (salary cap, marketing, sales, etc.), McDavid brings too much to a franchise.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Maybe take a dump? Scuderi? Too long to be retaining IMO.

Not sure if Kessel is the right guy, i mean they can definitely use his goal scoring but the problem with Phil is if he isn't scoring goals hes useless, and when you're trading away one of the top 5 best players in the league you're gonna want something, a sure thing, coming back. Malkin's hard, there's not really anything you can get back for him unless its a huge over pay which most clubs won't do. Send him to the caps for Backstrom or something, or at least enquire, shame he signed a 10 year contract though :laugh:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This is kind of silly. Crosby in his prime is the best player in the world. All it takes is for Ekblad to have any kind of sophomore slump and the deal doesn't look that great anymore.

Huberdeau and Barkov are fine young players but Edmonton has lots of those.

I don't see much reason the Oilers wouldn't turn that down.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
IMO, the drop off between Ekblad and McDavid is not much. Ekblad is an elite generational defender, who has shown unparalleled maturity and development at the NHL level, whereas McDavid is a generational center who has not shown anything at the NHL level.

Florida is better off without making that deal as they have two solid, big centers with Barkov and Bjustad. Current Panthers in a few years will be better contenders than the team listed above.

Ill start by saying im a big Ekblad fan, have been since his draft season, however....

Tyler Myers had a better rookie season and you cant really call him a generational defenseman. He faced tougher competition(Ekblad was sheltered) and he put up more points(48 vs 39). Temper your expectation, young dmen with a good rookie season arent exactly a sure thing.

As for the offer one of the few trades id do is Ekblad+Barkov+1st, whether or not Florida would ia another story, thats what it would take.

rajinikanthfan1

rajinikanthfan1
Jun 25, 2006
North Delta
in my view i think connor mcdavid is good but who knows about NHL Futures??

Remember these guys who were considered the next one

Alexander Daigle
Angelo Espiteso
Patrick Stefann

The Jesus*

Bo Horvat, Chris Tanev, 1st, depth player (hansen/higgins). That would be my best offer, and Edmonton would be stupid to take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad