Value of: Connor McDavid (thought experiment involving NHL players, not picks or prospects)

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
I have a thought experiment for you. Taking age, contract and term into consideration what NHL player (or players) approximates the value of McDavid? You can ignore trade clauses because this is a simple thought experiment. Please do not include prospects or draft picks in the discussion of McDavid's value.

For example, if McDavid is valued at AAa- what player or players as a package is also rated as AAa-?

Bonus points for the fairest deal.

Last edited:

Anchor Town*

When was the last time the best team in the league traded their best player they've ever had after the best season in their franchise history? In any sport?

Please read and understand the OP before posting

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
Nobody will trade #1 Overall unless Crosby+ is involved. He is supposed to be the best player of the 21st century (so far). Don't see why a team would take a chance on trading that.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Let's say for argument's sake Edmonton wins the lottery/McDavid.

Their needs: center + defenseman (relatively young for both would help).

Team with those pieces//possible offers:

SJ: Couture + Vlasic/Burns + something

Florida: Ekblad + Huberdeau/Barkov + something

Toronto: Rielly + Nylander + something

Buffalo: Zadarov/Risto + Reinhart/Girgensons + something

**Note; Florida, Toronto, Buffalo wouldn't be adding their 1st as the "something" because OP said "no draft picks"

Sidenote: hard to gauge value on someone who isn't drafted yet/knowing what teams would give up. This was kind of hard :help:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think you'd basically have to furnish a youngish core for what McDavid supposedly brings to the table. A potential/bonafide 1C, potential/bonafide 1D (if C is bonafide this can be potential and vice versa), and another good top-6 forward of any kind.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the no draft picks part. Probably a decent prospect as the 4th piece.

From Tampa, though I wouldn't want to see them do it: Tyler Johnson, Slater Koekkoek, Valterri Filppula, and maybe Brayden Point. That's still probably less than I think my original suggestion was a week or two ago the last time this thread came up (I believe it was Johnson+Hedman+player+pick).

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Nobody will trade #1 Overall unless Crosby+ is involved. He is supposed to be the best player of the 21st century (so far). Don't see why a team would take a chance on trading that.

This thread is about relative value. For example, does the total quantity of McDavid's present and future value approach that of Malkin's?

Last edited:

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Also for the sake of the thought experiment you are welcome to bundle players from different teams. For example Kesler + Seth Jones

Although, I'd prefer if you used players from the same team as it makes for more interesting discussion.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I think you'd basically have to furnish a youngish core for what McDavid supposedly brings to the table. A potential/bonafide 1C, potential/bonafide 1D (if C is bonafide this can be potential and vice versa), and another good top-6 forward of any kind.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the no draft picks part. Probably a decent prospect as the 4th piece.

From Tampa, though I wouldn't want to see them do it: Tyler Johnson, Slater Koekkoek, Valterri Filppula, and maybe Brayden Point. That's still probably less than I think my original suggestion was a week or two ago the last time this thread came up (I believe it was Johnson+Hedman+player+pick).

That's no where close.
Try, Hedman, Vasilevskiv, Drouin, and Killorn for McDavid.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Let's say for argument's sake Edmonton wins the lottery/McDavid.

Their needs: center + defenseman (relatively young for both would help).

Team with those pieces//possible offers:

SJ: Couture + Vlasic/Burns + something

Florida: Ekblad + Huberdeau/Barkov + something

Toronto: Rielly + Nylander + something

Buffalo: Zadarov/Risto + Reinhart/Girgensons + something

**Note; Florida, Toronto, Buffalo wouldn't be adding their 1st as the "something" because OP said "no draft picks"

Sidenote: hard to gauge value on someone who isn't drafted yet/knowing what teams would give up. This was kind of hard :help:

Only the Florida deal would interest me.

chimp82x

Jul 3, 2012
Whitby, ON
I value McDavid more than any player in the league. Depending on what team he lands on, McDavid could very well lead the NHL in scoring next year. I think he's more valuable that post-concussed Crosby.

Of course, it's all potential right now. But I believe that, in his prime, he will be better than every player on the planet right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad