Dreger: Connor Brown to Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Brown is 2nd in even strength points, 2nd in time on ice, 1st in time on ice per game, 2nd in ES toi per game, 1st in SH toi by almost double the guy in second, for Ottawa over the last 3 years. Most of those stats are about the same for every individual year. He is making $3.6m.

Why would he be relatively cheap?
Because I don't want to overpay like we did in basically every trade that Holland has executed?

They have had a tonne of roster turnover in three years and he has been a constant and is also a more vet player than most of their high end forwards. Makes sense that he will be getting that kind of ice time. No different than if we were in their position and had Nuge then a bunch of a kids. He won't be anywhere near the top of those lists on our team (sans maybe SH time), so that should be factored in on the price we are going to pay. Hell, if stays in OTT I expect he won't be at the top of those lists next season either.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Let me play devils advocate here:

Take a look at his previous year stats when he wasn’t playing injured/post Covid.

Puljujarvi didn't deal with injuries or covid? Last years stats aren't anything special. 35 points. His career high is 43 points.

Brown's motor, playmaking, IQ, middle-of-the-ice play, ability to play big tough minutes, are all things that are far above that of Puljuarvi.

I have been a big Puljuarvi fan for a long time, but there are teams who simply wouldnt want him. Wouldn't have a spot for him. Same can't be said about Brown. He is a far more complete player who can create his own offence regardless of line mates and match-up against anyone.

And despite all those things JP still put up the same stat line. Imagine what JP would look like if he actually puts things together.

Brown plays on a shutdown line with little skill, he has no effective PP time (comes on when they penalty is about to end). Had 19 goals the year before. JP hasn't been able to produce with The big guys, Brown hasn't even had that opportunity. He'd be closer to Hyman given the opportunity.

So Brown isn't good enough to play in Ottawas top 6? Why isn't he getting the opportunity if he would be closer to Hyman?

I would still trade Puljujarvi for Brown because I think it would be a good fit for both teams. However, I don't see how Brown is easily worth a 1st round pick when the guy who is 4 years younger on a cost controlled contract putting up similar numbers is apparently worth a mid round pick. I think they are a lot closer in value then fans think.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I keep seeing this and I don't get it. He had 10 goals this year and is a UFA.

Meanwhile JP had 14 goals and is an RFA and everything seems to think hes worth less.

Not sure HF is great at evaluating what players are worth.

Brown isn't a goal scorer. Why on earth would you value him based on his goal totals?

You're the one not great at this whole evaluation thing.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Let me play devils advocate here:

And despite all those things JP still put up the same stat line. Imagine what JP would look like if he actually puts things together.
Yeah, he also completely blew it in the playoffs and had a total of 9 points that McDavid and/or Draistaitl didn't factor in on. And... points aren't the only metric by which players are measured. But, even if they were, Puljuarvi's performance in the playoffs would put a serious damper on his value.

Also, I dont think Puljuarvi is only worth a mid rounder. Probably a 2nd or so.

I would think the Devil would employ a more effective advocate...

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No, Edmonton will trade for Matt Murray and sign Giroux with their cap space and they'll like it.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Because I don't want to overpay like we did in basically every trade that Holland has executed?

They have had a tonne of roster turnover in three years and he has been a constant and is also a more vet player than most of their high end forwards. Makes sense that he will be getting that kind of ice time. No different than if we were in their position and had Nuge then a bunch of a kids. He won't be anywhere near the top of those lists on our team (sans maybe SH time), so that should be factored in on the price we are going to pay. Hell, if stays in OTT I expect he won't be at the top of those lists next season either.
I promise you, he will.

Heard the exact same things about Nick Paul and, waddaya know, he played as much at ES + SH as anyone besides Cirelli.

He is the type of player who coaches love. He can play every situation and play it well. He brings energy & skill at all times and in all situations. He is an extremely easy guy to tap on the back and send over the boards.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’m not sure what this means. The focus should be on what improves the team. Getting Brown doesn’t mean everything else goes out the window.
It means they should be focusing on defense and goaltending, their two Achilles Heels, before focusing on adding Connor Brown, IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like Brown for Puljujarvi as a base makes a lot of sense for both sides. That's an obvious upgrade on McDavid's RW, one that can help alleviate the loss of Kane a bit, and the Senators get a solid young NHLer who might have higher potential.

If Puljujarvi develops well, I think he'd be a fantastic complementary option for the talent the Senators have in their top-6 too.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brown is 2nd in even strength points, 2nd in time on ice, 1st in time on ice per game, 2nd in ES toi per game, 1st in SH toi by almost double the guy in second, for Ottawa over the last 3 years. Most of those stats are about the same for every individual year. He is making $3.6m.

Why would he be relatively cheap?
Led the Sens in goals 2 seasons ago too.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I feel like Brown for Puljujarvi as a base makes a lot of sense for both sides. That's an obvious upgrade on McDavid's RW, one that can help alleviate the loss of Kane a bit, and the Senators get a solid young NHLer who might have higher potential.

If Puljujarvi develops well, I think he'd be a fantastic complementary option for the talent the Senators have in their top-6 too.
No thanks on Pulju. We have enough talent young talent in our top 6. We need a top 4 defenseman, or a top 6 veteran.

If OTT is retaining potentially 50% + adding a premium asset like the 2023 1st, I think there would be interest, ya.
loooooooooooooooool. Not happening. We'd rather buyout at that point.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
No thanks on Pulju. We have enough talent young talent in our top 6. We need a top 4 defenseman, or a top 6 veteran.

loooooooooooooooool. Not happening. We'd rather buyout at that point.
Would still cost them real $. It's equally hilarious that OTT fans think that there is a bidding war for Murray when you look at what they were giving BUF to dump him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad