Dreger: Connor Brown to Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Last I checked the games aren't decided by averaging an individuals totals. If he isn't in the line up for 10-15 games that will be in the equation.
Connor Brown played over 2 minutes a game on the PP last year(he won't get that in Edmonton)

Well it's cuz of all the shortened seasons. 2/3 weren't full seasons. So I wanted to paint a clearer picture as we have a better understanding using 82 game samples then half seasons.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ok so Ottawa has 20 million in cap space including 7 forwards and has to sign :

Norris ~7-8?
Formenton ~2-3
Joseph ~2-3

So that would give them 10 forwards and 7.5 mil in cap space. If Giroux is one of them, he's coming in at 6M. So we have 1.5 mil to bring in 2 forward. Likely two league mins so that puts us at the cap.

We then also only have 5D and need to resign brannstrom and bring up Sanderson. That puts us at a couple millions OVER the cap. We then get rid of Murray and hopefully zaitsev...but will have to retain, and we want to bring in a top 4 which would almost put us right back at the cap.

11M on Norris & Formenton?... Even 3M on Joseph seems really high after a small sample size at the end of the season

I don't see those RFAs getting that much on their 2nd contract. Giroux and any other UFA yes. I'd be very surprised if the Senators spent 80+M in acual salary for next season out of the blue.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Last I checked the games aren't decided by averaging an individuals totals. If he isn't in the line up for 10-15 games that will be in the equation.
Connor Brown played over 2 minutes a game on the PP last year(he won't get that in Edmonton)
Are you suggesting he’s been missing games because of injury? The poster is pro rating because of Covid.

Brown played every game in 19-20, every game in 20-21.

In the 21-22 season he missed 4 games because of COVID protocol, 10 games because a puck bounced off the crossbar and broke his jaw, and the last 4 games because of a sore wrist when the Sens were eliminated.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that’s not a recurring injury situation.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
11M on Norris & Formenton?... Even 3M on Joseph seems really high after a small sample size at the end of the season

I don't see those RFAs getting that much on their 2nd contract. Giroux and any other UFA yes. I'd be very surprised if the Senators spent 80+M in acual salary for next season out of the blue.

Depends on the length

I was thinking they get 3x2 or 3x3.

What do you think Norris signs for? Look at his goals to start his career and look at comparables.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
No thanks on Pulju. We have enough talent young talent in our top 6. We need a top 4 defenseman, or a top 6 veteran.

loooooooooooooooool. Not happening. We'd rather buyout at that point.
Also Matt Murray cannot be bought out until he is cleared of his injury, which won't happen before the buyout window which closes tomorrow.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lose Kane, don’t sign Giroux… here take Brown as a consolation prize!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brown to Edmonton makes sense if Giroux ends up in Ottawa. In fact, that might be the reason Edmonton is now looking at Brown.

Reactions: Macheteops

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It better not be for Yamamoto or Puljujarvi as the main piece back. Dorion has done well this offseason so far but I'm still quite anxious based on his trade history.

It has to be futures that we would use in another trade, nothing from Edmonton makes any kind of sense (among players that could be available)

Are you suggesting he’s been missing games because of injury? The poster is pro rating because of Covid.

Brown played every game in 19-20, every game in 20-21.

In the 21-22 season he missed 4 games because of COVID protocol, 10 games because a puck bounced off the crossbar and broke his jaw, and the last 4 games because of a sore wrist when the Sens were eliminated.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that’s not a recurring injury situation.

Yep. And last season was actually the first time Brown missed a NHL game in his career...

But hey, whaddaya know

I'd leave some facts to help out :

- most used Sens forward in each of the last 3 seasons
- 2nd most used forward on the PK in the whole league over the last 3 seasons
- voted 17th for the Selke in 2020-21
- 2nd in TkA in 2020-21 (2nd because Mark Stone is basically 1st every year)
- has produced 0.61+ PPG in each season with the Sens, which is easily 2nd line production. He does that despite being deployed in a lot of matchup/defensive missions. IIRC, his production overall has been 87% on PK+ES
- great veteran, good example in terms of work ethic and relentless style of play

Foegele for Brown is hopefully what's being discussed..

Difference between the 2 is significant. Brown is actually quite similar to Zach Hyman, just didn't have the chance to play with the same kind of linemates. Yet, their average productions are not too far off.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Klefbom may never play again and is likely LTIR for this coming season.

Also LD which is not a position of need for Ottawa

Pulji for Brown one for one.

Dorion is doing very well so far this off-season. This would be a bad way to put an end to his streak. Not the time to downgrade the roster. If he moves Brown, it has to be to make an upgrade somewhere else.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Also LD which is not a position of need for Ottawa

Dorion is doing very well so far this off-season. This would be a bad way to put an end to his streak. Not the time to downgrade the roster. If he moves Brown, it has to be to make an upgrade somewhere else.

Pretty sure Klefbom has played RD and I would be happy to run a stacked left side a la Tampa if the only cost to doing so was Brown... but Klefbom likely isn't playing much on his current contract.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Will be strictly for picks and prospects.

Brown is like Ottawa’s co-captain, only reason he is getting traded is because we need more offensive guidance in our top6 and we cannot afford to give Brown contract he wants relatives to need he fills.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty sure Klefbom has played RD and I would be happy to run a stacked left side a la Tampa if the only cost to doing so was Brown... but Klefbom likely isn't playing much on his current contract.

Well considering that Brown has been the most used Sens forward in each of the last 3 seasons and one of the very few (particularly now that Nick Paul is gone) that the coaching staff can use on defensive/matchup missions, in all situations (PK, late protection, end of periods, etc), it would be a pretty big cost IMO. They also already have Nick Holden, Erik Brannstrom and Michael Del Zotto for 3rd pairing LD... seems crowded already

Also, 2-way wingers like Brown usually have 1st + 2nd type value from contenders at the deadline so not the best investment for a 3rd pairing LD IMO

But moot point due to Klefbom health status. IF he was 100% healthy and good on RD, then yeah I'd look for it.

Will be strictly for picks and prospects.

Brown is like Ottawa’s co-captain, only reason he is getting traded is because we need more offensive guidance in our top6 and we cannot afford to give Brown contract he wants relatives to need he fills.

At the same time, I am worried we are going all-in on offense (like some other teams did, Toronto?) but won't be able to shut down the opposition when it's time to (like the Lightning has done)

Stutzle, Norris, DeBrincat, Batherson, Tkachuk... that's already 5 highly prolific offensive players

Then there's guys like Formenton, Pinto, Greig, Joseph, etc who are/will provide good scoring support.

Brown has produced at at 50 pts pace in each of his 3 seasons with Ottawa without relying on PP production much. That's highly valuable considering he's your best defensive winger. Problem is we already traded Nick Paul who is also a great defensive forward. If Brown is your 6th most productive forward at 50 pts per 82 games, it's far from a disaster.

I would instead would give the 6th Top-6 spot to guys like Formenton and Greig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad