Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am genuinely curious now as to what becomes of marner if he half asses near the boards; berube would lose his shit :laugh:
Consistent effort seems more like a Nylander issue. Berube will be more demanding for sure.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The fact the Dubists are hating it makes me even more comfortable with it. That cluelessness never fails.

I don't think I'm a Dubist but I've got some reservations

When Berube left the Blues the younger guys seemed to have a problem with him, I don't like that when guys like Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin are close to pushing for places

Our experienced guys may need some tough love but he needs to develop those kids if we want success in the future

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

When Berube left the Blues the younger guys seemed to have a problem with him, I don't like that when guys like Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin are close to pushing for places

Our experienced guys may need some tough love but he needs to develop those kids if we want success in the future
The players who have a problem with Berube are also the types who have problems playing a winning playoff style of hockey. If they don't like it, they can f*** off

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Consistent effort seems more like a Nylander issue. Berube will be more demanding for sure.

In some distant past sure I agree but last year Willy's effort wasn't questionable IMO (except at the end of the season where seedings were pretty much guaranteed). Willy had more consecutive games with points than any Leafs. He was more consistent in that regards. Some Leafs would get them in bunches Willy was more consistent game to game

Marner's poke check and not standing up near the wall afraid of getting hit or taking a hit to make a play is not going to sit well with Berube thats for sure

Remember when Babcock had Marner on the 4th line because he was ass and Paul lost his shit :laugh: I remember

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

That's fair.

Reactions: Kiwi

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The biggest difference I want to see, if you’re going to lose game 7 anyway, punch someone in the face in your way out.

Reactions: Smif and JKG33

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I'll repost this because it made me happy to read:

"Berube's suffocating system took a stranglehold on the rest of the league. The Blues became a heavy hockey team that made opponents fight for every inch of the ice and did not allow for easy passage through the neutral zone. Not only did the Blues find their scoring touch, but their forechecking became a widely superior strength over anyone else in the NHL, increasing their offensive-zone time and not allowing teams to rush up the ice."
giphy (15).gif

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This team has needed a new voice behind the bench since at least the Florida loss, if not immediately after the 2021 disaster. Keefe's deficiencies more than anything contributed to this teams repeated playoff failures as the same problems always plagued them; inability to score, poor special teams, and a refusal to adapt or change things.

Berube has a winning pedigree, a reputation as a motivator, and preaches hard nosed, no passengers hockey. We need that in this market more than ever.
*since at least the Montreal, if not Columbus series. But yea

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Berube was the consensus best candidate available and has the coaching pedigree to instill the culture change that is required. Now it's up to Treliving to continue adding players to the roster that will align with that philosophy.
Honestly a year ago when it looked like Dubas was gunna get extended, if you told me this team would have Tre at GM and Berube as HC I'd be thrilled

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is very encouraging to hear from a current coach given how much I've heard and read about how Berube is more of a motivator than a tactics guy. You don't win the Cup without being a capable xs and os guy.
Great point, and the fact it's coming from somebody who also was told hes more of a motivator coach, when he has so much more to give, it's great considering they are completely from the same mold.
I have no doubt in my mind this is going to work for toronto, he is not going to take shit, he is going to keep players accountable.
Also expect a lot of turnover here soon, Berube loves big strong players, especially on the backend.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Meh

Another flavor.....if he fails ....then what?

I dont see much of a upgrade other than the growl he has. TO makes people like that heros's here and they never won anything.

I hope he has better assistants

Tre record hiring coaches isnt great......should we be worrie
cough...stanley cup....cough and also...holy debbie downer dude...guy has been here 5 min and your already stripping him down?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What is the difference betwee Mike Babcock and Craig Berube as a coach?

Is Berube a good systems coach?

I know he is a hard ass like Babcock was.

Babcock had an absurd ego and was power hungry though and a manipilator. Hopefully Berube can be a hard nose coach with strong systems that help the team next year while maintaining a sense of normalcy in a coach - player relation
Berube is a leader of men type, players who play winning hockey will love him. Losers will hate him.

Babcock was more of the tactician and had an ego from his success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad