Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
AND

Avs make playoffs after the deal below:

27yd5d.jpg

Sakic is a genius
And we were supposed to be the furthest away from playoff picture according to the return we got!

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Mcdavid is on a 4th worst team. Hes most valuable player to a tire fire.

Giroux, Hall, Mack, Kopitar all have a stronger case.

Obviously the hype train is on so i fully expect him to end up with another Hart.

The Avs have proven more than capable to return exactly to that same place after a year of over achieving.

That said.....good luck ;)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it's 50/50 either way. George McPhee should get a lot of credit for putting together a roster better than most people thought. The Avs weren't all that different from last year's roster... to do what Bednar did with it is pretty damn impressive. Granted MacKinnon had a lot to do with it too.

The avs changed more than 50% of the roster that started last season...

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
The avs changed more than 50% of the roster that started last season...

Yeah, theres' like a dozen players from last year that aren't even in the NHL anymore. That's the biggest reason for the Avs turnaround this year, getting rid of washed up vets and replacing them with hard working youngsters.

But Bednar does deserve credit for Macks breakout year and Soderbergs bounce back season after their relationship last year. And taking a historically bad team into the playoffs ain't easy. Still though, it should be Gallant for coach of the year no doubt about it... I can see Bednar being a finalist tho

Reactions: cgf

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
This marks the second straight year that the team that finished last place in the NHL made the playoffs the year after.

Brighter days are coming, Sabres fans ;)

Reactions: SotasicA

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Avs have proven more than capable to return exactly to that same place after a year of over achieving.

That said.....good luck ;)

And if that happens, MacKinnon won’t deserve the Hart.

The Avs or Devils without MacKinnon or Hall go from playoff teams to lottery teams. The oilers without McDavid go from a non-playoff team to a lottery team. It should be obvious which is more valuable in that particular year.

Reactions: Mrb1p

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs or Devils without MacKinnon or Hall go from playoff teams to lottery teams. The oilers without McDavid go from a non-playoff team to a lottery team. It should be obvious which is more valuable in that particular year.
It is a team game. Not even Lemieux got the Pens anywhere at first.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Duchene confirmed for biggest cancer in hockey history.

Girard being the one to get them in was cherry on top

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think it's 50/50 either way. George McPhee should get a lot of credit for putting together a roster better than most people thought. The Avs weren't all that different from last year's roster... to do what Bednar did with it is pretty damn impressive. Granted MacKinnon had a lot to do with it too.

Didn't seem like they changed much, but Sakic actually quietly did, which I think changed the team culture and brought some youth and speed in. Barberio, Nieto and Andrighetto were all picked up off waivers during the year, and brought a lot of speed and a mix of skill (Ghetto) and just hard work. Iginla was moved at the deadline and Beauchemin bought out, which cleared their toxicity from the team (apparently there was a divide in the room between the older guys and some of the younger guys).

On top of that Grigorenko, Rene Bourque, Weircioch, Martinsen, Colborne, Mitchell and Tyutin were let go of (all played at least 50 games for the team), and were replaced by Jost, Wilson, Nemeth, Kerfoot, Compher, Yakupov, Gabriel Bourque and Girard. None of the core guys were changed up (except Duchene), but it did really change the club and brought a fresh attitude, which was probably the most important thing of all.

Reactions: cgf

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The point jump between the two years is a little deceptive, as last year was an example of a team imploding under bad coaching. Avs certainly weren't a good team last season, but they weren't really 48 points bad. On paper they should have been good enough to at least clear 70 points.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In addition to getting Girard, trading Duchene made the Avs put all their eggs in one basket with the Bottle Kids Line and they've turned out to be more than the sum of their parts.

Zadorov also made a pretty big jump. Playing like the Destitute Man's Rob Blake rounded out a good top 4 on defense.

Fortunate the goaltenders alternated being injured.

I'm sure the mantras of "unsustainable" and "regression" are soon to follow, but consider the have 2 good defensive prospects in the pipeline with Makar and Timmy, forwards Jost, Compher and Kerfoot were rookies, Ottawa's 2019 1st and will have to spend to hit the cap floor next year.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In addition to getting Girard, trading Duchene made the Avs put all their eggs in one basket with the Bottle Kids Line and they've turned out to be more than the sum of their parts.

Zadorov also made a pretty big jump. Playing like the Destitute Man's Rob Blake rounded out a good top 4 on defense.

Fortunate the goaltenders alternated being injured.

I'm sure the mantras of "unsustainable" and "regression" are soon to follow, but consider the have 2 good defensive prospects in the pipeline with Makar and Timmy, forwards Jost, Compher and Kerfoot were rookies, Ottawa's 2019 1st and will have to spend to hit the cap floor next year.

When people talk about unsustainable or regression it's usually when you look at the exact same roster. But Colorado I do agree has a great future with their pieces and if they can make the playoffs with good metrics than they'll be considered a regular playoff team by many more people.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Credit where credit is due. Congratulations! I was actually hoping for the Blues, but they got there fair and square. They deserve it.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
congrats avs

alsoeach of the last two teams to finish last in the last 2 years made the playoffs the following year.
leafs were last in 16 made the playoffs in 17
avs were last in 17 and made the playoffs in 18
so buffalo you're up, last in 18 hopefully playoffs in 19.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
It's about damn time, Colorado. Way too much talent to be doing what they've been doing. I'd now like to see Buffalo or Arizona also get it together.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bednar got crapped on a lot last summer as a bad coach and the first guy who’d get fired this season, but I felt people jumped the gun on writing him off, especially since he took over the team at the last minute his first year. Glad he was able to right the ship. The guy has a solid track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille