Congrats Avalanche on making the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Mckinnon is MVP but I gotta ask, Whats the reason for the turnaround? 49 points to playoffs is insane... I know they had a few prospects and rode the one line all year.. but they look set for awhile even if they regress out of the playoffs next year, wasnt Sakic a joke?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Mckinnon is MVP but I gotta ask, Whats the reason for the turnaround? 49 points to playoffs is insane... I know they had a few prospects and rode the one line all year.. but they look set for awhile even if they regress out of the playoffs next year, wasnt Sakic a joke?

A coach having an entire offseason of preparation -> 50% turnover -> Duchene trade -> MacKinnon = profit

Reactions: cgf

member 116861

So much more depth. I know their secondary scoring isn't the strongest but every single player belongs in the NHL and that isn't something we've been able to say for a while.

Reactions: cgf

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Still better than being a Red Wings fan.
Think so yeah?
Mac is fantastic..He has gone cold,he was your hope and who got you to the playoffs.
Tons of shame being a Wings fan.Shake your head Friend we had good times.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Addition by subtraction: Iginla, Beauchemin, Grigorenko, Rene Bourque, Tyutin, Wiercioch, Colborne, Mitchell, Martinsen, Goloubef, Gelinas, and McLeod. Some of which were never true NHL quality. Some used to be but are past their play-by dates. Some were apparently causing locker room division (and not the good kind...maths practice). Of all those players, only 3 played NHL games this year: FB 67, Highlander 23, and Biffkaka 9.

Also the Duchene trade. Another bit of addition by subtraction. Last year was the culmination of an early career of unfortunate outcomes for MD9. He was done in Colorado, and wanted out as soon as the wheels started coming off last year. His attitude was a part of the problem last year, but to his credit, he came to play this year, which made it easier to trade him, and probably boosted his value enough so that Sakic could get the price he wanted. Which allowed them to get the next piece.

Girard. Small dude, big part of the turn-around. Not so much his personal play, although that has been overall pretty good. But how getting him shows the commitment of the team to a direction moving forward, both in personnel and play style.

Bednar. Dude had a full offseason to work out a game plan, input on assistants and incoming players to fit that plan, and buy in from the players...even ones that seem to have been a huge part of the problem the year before.

Soderberg/Comeau. These two are the epitome of that last part of the prevous paragraph. Both were crap last year, and massive turn-arounds were what allowed other lines to play the way they did.

Goaltending. Going from .894 to .913 in Sv% is a huge leap. From 2nd last, to 8th best.

Shooting. 2016-17: 7.2%. 2017-18: 10.4% (dead last to 3rd best)

Combined, those two mean the PDO went from 97.4% to 101.2%....supremely unsustainably bad (dead last), to somewhat unsustainably good (5th highest).

Rookies. Not just Girard, but Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, and even Greer when he was up, and Lindholm before he fell of his cliff.

Rantanen. He did not do it alone, but jumping from 39 to 85 points is an almost unbelievable step forward.

And the biggest factor IMO, MacKinnon. An MVP season, whether he get s the Hart or not (he should).

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yeah, theres' like a dozen players from last year that aren't even in the NHL anymore. That's the biggest reason for the Avs turnaround this year, getting rid of washed up vets and replacing them with hard working youngsters.

But Bednar does deserve credit for Macks breakout year and Soderbergs bounce back season after their relationship last year. And taking a historically bad team into the playoffs ain't easy. Still though, it should be Gallant for coach of the year no doubt about it... I can see Bednar being a finalist tho
This is very true but what I liked the most about Bednar this season is how he guided and controlled the development of all the rookies and sophomores who played on the team. Also the handling of Zadorov. I'm really glad this is the guy who's coaching this team now.

Reactions: HockeyFan100

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I just want to say MULTIPLE Avs fans laughed at me when Ineaidnguve Bednar another year he's a great coach and #2 I know one guy named like stay home something and maybe a guy named like JoeAvs they kept telling me that if we traded for Duchene and I was saying swap 1sts with CBJ they kept talking about there is 0 chance their pick is out of the top 5 and their pick is closer to 1st then where the cb pick and just constantly mocking me for saying they might pick in the teens this season. In your face Avs fans.

Bednar is a great ****ing coach he just needed a season to get his system fully implemented.
Please explain how your autocorrect turned "I said I'd give" into "Ineaidnguve"

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bednar got crapped on a lot last summer as a bad coach and the first guy who’d get fired this season, but I felt people jumped the gun on writing him off, especially since he took over the team at the last minute his first year. Glad he was able to right the ship. The guy has a solid track record.

Bednar lost the room last year in less than a month. He's done a much better job last year and I give him a lot of props for that, but I've never seen a coach lose the vets that fast in any of the sports I follow.

Now maybe a lot of those guys needed to be lost and the only reason they weren't useless before was because Roy is the lazy-player-whisperer, but there was plenty of reason to criticize Bednar even within the context of replacing a beloved coach on short notice with no prep-time.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Congrats. In this day and age, it doesn't matter where your seeded. Get in and anything can happen.

Except all the last Stanley cup winners were top seeds. Minus maybe LA that one year where they had no business finishing 8th.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

From the season opener lineup in 2016/17, ten skaters were gone. Veterans not giving a crap and provided 'leadership' that suffocated the younger guys (Iginla, Beauchemin), younger players without any will to compete (Colborne, Grigorenko). Marginal NHLers without much to provide (Weircioch, Tyutin).

Duchene's trade request clearly bothered some players (EJ, Landeskog, MacKinnon) so the trade finally happening seems to have helped.

Coaches figuring out special teams, an area Avs have struggled with for a long time, also makes a big difference.

Adding hungry young players (Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, Girard) and solid waiver pickups (Bourque, Nemeth, Barbeiro, Nieto) have made the team faster and harder working.

Lastly, team chemistry seems to be very good. Several players have mentioned this is the best locker room they've ever been in. Credit to the leadership group in Landeskog, EJ, Comeau and MacKinnon for taking charge.

Avs are still very much a work in progress. Depth isn't amazing and the rookies still have a lot to learn.

Reactions: Hesher and cgf

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Pissed or not, as an NHL captain you can't act like that. And I guess he forgot how the big bad NHL screwed the Avs in a game with his Blues.

Yup. I said it on our board but if Landy made comments like that I would not be happy. Your captain of all people shouldn't be looking for excuses on why they lost, take some responsibility.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
And with that said Nathan MacKinnon odds for the Hart are better but we shall see what happens. Wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs to start the season.
Natty Mac
Hall
Giroux

are the current top three
Will Colorado descend back to the bottom of their division next year? Quite likely.

But this isn't the time to have sour grapes over the failures of your own team and negate someone else. Looking at you, Calgary fan.
lol nah Duchene is gone, and its Mac n Landy's team now. They've got too much going good for them to fall back; plus they aren't head cases like duchess Duchene. I can only imagine how much more positive the locker room is now.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
-Coaching was much improved

-MacKinnon went full beast mode and became the franchise player he was capable of being

-Rantanen exploded as well

-Got rid of all the veteran players that didn't want to be part of the team and quit on the team last season (Iginla, Beauchemin, Colborne, Duchene, Bourque, Tytuin). This is probably the sole biggest reason we improved. The guys I listed above were straight cancerous to the locker room last season, and made it tough on the guys that gave a shit. From all accounts the locker room was very divided last season.

-young guys stepped in and played well (Girard, Kerfoot, Jost, Compher)

-better goaltending between Varlamov and Bernier as compared to Pickard and AHL plug we had last season

probably a few more reasons but this would be a good starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->