Common Sense Line-up for 2014-2015

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't say I'm a Cleary fan.. Haha.. I kinda just think he is getting alot of unfair criticism. When healthy, he is a very capable role player. If someone steps up at training camp or pre season and takes his spot. Then good for them and another wrap on the knuckles for Kenny.

But we can only make lines with what we have. And to me, line 2 Abs, Dats, Cleary makes the most sense if you want to avoid stacking line 1 with D and Z and using Weiss other then the 4th line.

I just really want to see line 3 as - Tats-Helm-Glendening - and to get that, that 2nd line is the only option

No. Just...no. It doesn't make sense. They have tried it, and Datsyuk needs to literally do everything by himself, or it doesn't work. You cannot reason for putting your best playmaker with a 3rd line grinder, and a washed up veteran who doesn't belong in the league anymore. Datsyuk with those 2 is absolutely useless.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose
With a logjam at centermen, #RedWings Mike Babcock said today that he plans to start Darren Helm at wing on Pavel Datsyuk's line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose
With a logjam at centermen, #RedWings Mike Babcock said today that he plans to start Darren Helm at wing on Pavel Datsyuk's line.

So Zetterberg will be having his own line..? Z-D-Helm would be very weird combination.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I think either way Sheahan would have been the 4th line center any way, I would think that Datsyuk would have been 1st line center and then Weiss 2nd line center Helm 3rd line center and then Sheahan 4th line center would have been my guess.

It almost seems a step back to have Sheahan as the 4th though. With Dats and Helm hurt though Shehan will probably be our #1 by December.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Babcock holding out hope Cleary can contribute this season.

First month or two of the season is going to be rocky folks, brace yourself.

Making it clear: Babcock said forward Daniel Cleary has trained very hard and believes he can be a factor this season.

“We believe, if he can get back to playing, he can help us,†Babcock said. “But if he can’t get back to playing, he can’t help us.â€

http://www.freep.com/article/20140903/SPORTS05/309030125/detroit-red-wings-daniel-alfredsson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does is really matter who is numbered to be a 4th line center? 4th line center like Mike Richards can play +15minutes (more than Sheahan at last season) and be important factor in the team. Kings must have hated him there when they won the Cup. ;)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Babcock holding out hope Cleary can contribute this season.

First month or two of the season is going to be rocky folks, brace yourself.

Making it clear: Babcock said forward Daniel Cleary has trained very hard and believes he can be a factor this season.

“We believe, if he can get back to playing, he can help us,†Babcock said. “But if he can’t get back to playing, he can’t help us.â€

[...]

Wise words, Babs...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, that's actually a pretty level-headed thing for a coach to say. I know we all want Cleary to be scratched every night, but he was signed so he's going to get a chance to crack the roster. At least Babcock is making sure to add he might be "wrong" and he may not help. That's pretty rough critique from Cleary's #1 fan, I'd say.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, that's actually a pretty level-headed thing for a coach to say. I know we all want Cleary to be scratched every night, but he was signed so he's going to get a chance to crack the roster. At least Babcock is making sure to add he might be "wrong" and he may not help. That's pretty rough critique from Cleary's #1 fan, I'd say.

Then why give the contract?

They're saying we might have done something very stupid, and we don't care. Essentially.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

They're saying we might have done something very stupid, and we don't care. Essentially.

We all know why he got the deal. It was their gentleman agreement from last year.

Which is silly, we all agree. But that's where we're at. Might as well see if he can play. I'm not counting him out entirely, simply because I'd like this to not be a total disaster signing. Maybe a small disaster, like some crops being flooded.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Well to be fair they've been saying that since day 1. Holland was talking about how more good than bad comes from his loyalty program the same day he signed Cleary.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I feel like the dynamic is kinda flipped a little bit on Cleary this time around

last year Babcock was the one really pushing for Cleary and Holland eventually just kinda shrugged and went along with it

this year I see it being kinda the opposite with Holland and his "I made a promise!"

not to say that I think Babcock is unhappy to have him back or anything,but I think Holland was probably the primary reason for it this time around

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
We all know why he got the deal. It was their gentleman agreement from last year.

Which is silly, we all agree. But that's where we're at. Might as well see if he can play. I'm not counting him out entirely, simply because I'd like this to not be a total disaster signing. Maybe a small disaster, like some crops being flooded.

At least they put some pressure on Cleary. If he fails to deliver it wont be beacuse of him not trying, I think Danny is going do everything he can to prove guys like myself wrong.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just fishing for any stat now to try to make a point. Abdelkader is not an effective top 6 forward, period. That's common sense.

Anyone except you would agree with that.

But please keep telling us how great Abby is.

He definitely is not effective...

...I can now surrender, you knew it better. ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He definitely is not effective...

...I can now surrender, you knew it better. ;)

Yeah.... Abdelkader going on a hot streak and looking like a top 6er for a small number of games, and then crashing down to earth and blowing grade A chances to get demoted back to the bottom 6 is DEFINITELY something we haven't seen before.

Oh wait... It only happens every year. Totally forgot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5 goals without major power-play -time. Also second most 22 shots after Zetterberg (28) on the team. You guys must hate to see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad