Common Sense Line-up for 2014-2015

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Taking into account player skill levels, Salary, and certain factors I think we can say this is going to happen for 2014-2015 start. Feel free to critique my realistic expectations for our team:

(P.S. these are rough line ups, do not over-analyze WHO is on which line, but rather the INCLUSION of the player in top9/top12 vs 13th 14th forwards vs waived etc)

Zetterberg--Datsyuk--Alfredsson
Nyquist--Weiss--Franzen
Tatar--Sheahan--Abdelkader
Miller--Helm--Cleary

Andersson
Glendening

Kronwall--Ericsson
Quincey--Dekeyser
Smith--Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustovsson

Mantha (GR)
Jurco (GR)
Ferraro (Waived)
Callahan (Waived)

Here are common sense reasons for these decisions:

Weiss - high salary, this season is a decision maker for the red wings (Good signing, or crap signing) he will be given a chance to earn 2nd line minutes

Franzen, Nyquist, Alfie - All produced well last season, if its determined Alfie CAN skate, he will make our top 6. Franzen and Nyquist based on production belong up here as well.

Quincey- Based on Minutes played last season, His Salary, and basic play to end last season, he is clearly in our top 4. Hate him all you like, but thats where he is starting this year.

Cleary- This is a tough one, but based on Salary, as well as the fact that he was even signed, I would expect this is his "last chance to be in the NHL" AND "free pay day by the wings". He will have a tough time EARNING his spot on the opening day roster. I really wonder if he is going to be ripped and in shape for this season. From what we hear he is working hard. But this is more about the knee than anything. And if it doesn't go well. He won't be around long. Either way he starts in the top 12 to start the season.

This means unless Mantha or Jurco play so well to make the top 9. They are going to GR. This is infact a GOOD decision for these 2 players. BUT if Alfie isn't resigned and or cleary does not perform well. Then 1 or 2 of these guys could make the team.

Ferraro and Callahan. Honestly these guys are may or may not get claimed… but odds are it doesn't matter much. Ferraro's job on this team is basically trumped by Helm. And Callahan who knows if he even has NHL level talent. They will remain in GR.

Remember the point of this thread is:

WHAT IS LIKELY TO HAPPEN: NOT - what we want to happen :) ;)

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I don't want to get into this any further, but Babcock will not sit both Glendening and Andersson so that Cleary could play. This would knock both of the team's top PK centers from last year out of the lineup. Not happening.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That's pretty much the exact same lineup that I would have, But knowing Babcock I'm pretty sure that will have Abdelkafer with Pav and Z and put Alfie on the 3rd line with Tatar if Alfredsson resigns.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not what I want to see, but what I think we'll see.

If Alfredsson retires

Z-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Cleary
Miller-Helm-Glendening

If Alfredsson comes back

Z-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't want to get into this any further, but Babcock will not sit both Glendening and Andersson so that Cleary could play. This would knock both of the team's top PK centers from last year out of the lineup. Not happening.

I think with that bonus, they're going try to find a way to get Cleary in the lineup for the first 10 games. I think they would put him in before Andersson.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Zetterberg--Datsyuk--Abdelkader
Franzen--Weiss--Cleary
Tatar--Sheahan--Nyquist
Miller--Helm--Glendening
Andersson

if Alfredsson's back:

Zetterberg--Datsyuk--Abdelkader
Franzen--Weiss--Cleary
Tatar--Sheahan--Nyquist
Alfredsson--Helm--Glendening
Miller Andersson

Kronwall--Ericsson
Quincey--Smith
Dekeyser--Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
With Alfredsson:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
Miller - Helm - Glendening
Cleary/Andersson

Without Alfredsson:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Andersson/Cleary

Dream lineup (most depth):

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mantha
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening
Miller/Callahan

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Common sense, lol. Come on.

* Cleary-Andersson-Bertuzzi (slowest line ever) as your opening night 3rd line when Tatar is sitting in the press box. Note that I said 3rd line. Tatar couldn't even beat out Samuelsson or Miller on the 4th line.

* Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader as an actual line. Enough said.

* Breaking up the Kid line, putting Tatar and Nyquist together, playing Legwand at 4th line wing, and for some reason putting Abdelkader and Franzen back with a hobbled Datsyuk as we're about to enter the playoffs.

* Giving a player who you have since admitted "brought nothing" the biggest role on the team in terms of PP and PK for way too long.

* And if we want to back further, playing Holmstrom on the top line well after he was past the point of effectiveness.

Common sense has gone out the window. I simply hope for the best and anticipate less.

I'm hoping for the line combinations that FrkIt posted and I believe those make the most sense.

But I'm almost now expecting Babs to put Nyquist and Tatar together which effectively makes us less quick from top to bottom and trying Alfie and Franzen with Weiss which would again be a disaster.

Show me otherwise Babs.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
With Alfredsson:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
Cleary/Andersson

Without Alfredsson:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Andersson/Cleary

Dream lineup (most depth):

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mantha
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening
Miller/Callahan

You think Mantha would be more effective and/or is a better player than Alfie?

Replace Mantha with Alfie and I love your dream lineup though. And what we should all be disgusted about is that it's right there at the organization's fingertips, yet they refuse to make it happen.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You think Mantha would be more effective and/or is a better player than Alfie?

Replace Mantha with Alfie and I love your dream lineup though. And what we should all be disgusted about is that it's right there at the organization's fingertips, yet they refuse to make it happen.

I can't think of any reason why Mantha shouldn't be on the team to at least start the season. His confidence is sky high, and if he can't hack it early, then send him down with the right message to learn what to work on to get better. I don't think we're losing a thing with giving quite possibly the best pure sniper in our organization a shot.

KoopaTrouba

Nov 15, 2013
So nobody sees Jurco cracking the opening day roster? I feel right now he's a 40-50 point player (based of his recent production). Just doesn't make sense?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So nobody sees Jurco cracking the opening day roster? I feel right now he's a 40-50 point player (based of his recent production). Just doesn't make sense?

Nyquist was a 40-50 pt player last year, and started the year in GR, and they cited his ability to be sent down without passing through waivers as the reason. As stupid as that was.

Now Holland has been saying for months that Jurco "isn't going back", and making it sound like he's only a Red Wing moving forward... But I don't think that will be the case.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Honestly, I don't know if common sense and what is likely to happen should be in the lead in here.

I mean the fact Cleary is likely to play and Smith is likely to have a reduced role in terms of what he brings are far from common sense.

What is likely to happen and what we should prepare for doesn't fit that wording. I agree with most of the lineups posted in terms of what we will see and it is disappointing in terms of what I believe should be happening.

At the same time we are not Calgary and we should be a playoff team and who really knows in the East we could do damage.

Will say Glendening is playing in any common sense or Babcock lineup and I totally agree with it.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Think these lineups are pretty realistic... but I hope that Smith paired with Kronwall on the top line and getting some PP time is now "common sense" and no longer just "something we want"

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At the same time we are not Calgary and we should be a playoff team and who really knows in the East we could do damage.

So much depends on the performance of the younglings. Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan all playing like solid top 6 forwards would be substantial. Add DeKeyser and Smith making another step and you've got yourself a hockey club.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I appreciate your guys optimism. I'm really not ok with not trying to ice the best possible lineup for all 82 games though. And I certainly don't think that is what will happen.

We will probably have a crap lineup for the first month of the season, and have to watch Cleary kill whatever line he's on. Though I'm sure it will sort itself out, and get fixed eventually. I think that kinda sucks for us as fans, but oh well. I'll probably watch more of GR, until they bench Cleary. Not really trying to watch that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So much depends on the performance of the younglings. Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan all playing like solid top 6 forwards would be substantial. Add DeKeyser and Smith making another step and you've got yourself a hockey club.

I really don't believe we are that far off, I think it is coming two years from now though, next year will be another learning year and some of the organizational direction is upsetting. But this is far from the sky is falling, I just wanted a little more at the same time we didn't do anything that makes me totally unhappy for the future at least yet and like you said some big steps by the youth in our pretty paltry conference and who knows.

My expectations on next year are not huge. We will be a playoff team and in my opinion we will be better and probably a lot better depending on some health come April on than we are in October which is important. But in my belief the true nature of this rebuild on the fly is two years down the road and not next year. We will see though as in my opinion we are breaking in a rookie coach that year, one I have a ton of confidence in but that would be the concern in the following year. But I think this rebuild on the fly is going well, I believe in a lot of what has happened even if some of this off-season was a tough pill to swallow it has been by no means fatal long-term.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How so? He's only played 36 NHL games and was scoring at a 30-35 point pace. If he makes the team he'll be in a 3rd line role and right around 30 points would be a realistic target for his first full NHL season. He's got potential for more but you can't count on that happening.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
common sense

zetts-dats-jurco
nyquist-weiss-franzen
tatar-sheahan-alffie
abby-helm-glendening

what i expect for opening night and first half dozen games or so

zetss-dats-abby
nyquist-weiss-franzen
tatar-helm-alffie
miller-glendening-cleary

kronwall-ericsson
quincey-dekeyser
smith-kindl
lashoff

i fully expect abby to be starting on the first line as babs loves having a big bodied "heavy" net front guy with those two

i fully expect the 2nd line to be as i have suggessted

i fully expect alffie to play one more year and to slide onto the 3rd line

i fully expect glendening to play on the fourth line, no chance whatsoever that he isnt in the lineup

i fully expect cleary to be on the opening night roster and to play the first half dozen games. you do not sign a veteran player to a 2.5 million contract without showing that veteran some nhl game loyalty as well and giving him a chance. Its not how holland works. Cleary will get his chance to make his bonus and if after 10 games he cant hack it, then and only then will he be benched

we benched tatar and demoted nyquist at the start of last year and i fully expect the same treatement to sheahan and jurco to start this season. dosent mean it will last beyond 10 games just that it will be that way on game 1.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I'm not very excited for this season. Cleary playing more than 9 games in the NHL is inexcusable. Q shouldn't be on the team either. I'm just going to accept a line-up of something like:
Z-Dats-Alfie
Goose-Weiss-Franzen
Tats-Helm-Abdelkader
Cleary:rant::cry:-Glendenning-Miller

Better line-up:
Z-Dats-Alfie
Goose-Helm-Franzen
Tats-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glendenning-Abdelkader

Imagine if between now and next season Holland embraces the youth and this is our line-up:
Z-Dats-Mantha
Goose-Sheahan-Tats (who else thinks Tats' nickname should be Maverick?)
AA-Helm-Jurco
Franzen-Nosek-Pulk
Miller-Glendenning=depth
Buyout:Weiss

Kronner-#1 RH D we trade for
DK-Sproul
Smith-Marchenko
Lashoff-Kindl-Q=Depth

Mrazek
Gustavsson

Trade: we trade Howard, Ericsson and Abdelkader for that #1 RH D, and a couple of prospects to refill our system.
While off topic a bit, sorry, if somehow this is the lineup we're posting in this thread next year, I'll be ecstatic. :yo::D

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I think with that bonus, they're going try to find a way to get Cleary in the lineup for the first 10 games. I think they would put him in before Andersson.

I'm puzzled at your belief that they want to blow that extra $1m in cap space for next season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think OP pretty much nailed it, except I think Glendening is higher than 14th forward from Babcock's POV. Only change I'd make. Insert him for Cleary *80s sitcom gasp sound bite*.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad