Confirmed with Link: Colin White claimed off waivers from the Penguins

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is how bad Montreal is now that White looked like a better player than most. lol
I didn't see much of last night's game.

But in the parts I saw, he didn't look slow. I've heard he's slowed down a lot. If that's slowed down, he must have been elite fast before.

I mean he's a former 40 point player and is only 27. It wouldn't surprise me if he could be a good 4c. Maybe he just didn't fit in Pittsburgh. Granlund didn't. But has scored at a 60 points pace in Minnesota, Nashville, and San Jose.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi

But in the parts I saw, he didn't look slow. I've heard he's slowed down a lot. If that's slowed down, he must have been elite fast before.

I mean he's a former 40 point player and is only 27. It wouldn't surprise me if he could be a good 4c. Maybe he just didn't fit in Pittsburgh. Granlund didn't. But has scored at a 60 points pace in Minnesota, Nashville, and San Jose.
I just went through it before quickly. Knew the name but not his game and based on stat looking for a former 1st round pick,disappointing totals. Expected to see a dog like Gallagher or something but was surprised out how good he looked. He looked like he can skate more than decently and handle the puck but maybe he just can't shoot or finish,don't know.

Reactions: 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I just went through it before quickly. Knew the name but not his game and based on stat looking for a former 1st round pick,disappointing totals. Expected to see a dog like Gallagher or something but was surprised out how good he looked. He looked like he can skate more than decently and handle the puck but maybe he just can't shoot or finish,don't know.
Finish doesn't really matter for a 4th line center. You want someone who will win faceoffs, play well on the pk and more importantly will tire the opponent when he's on the ice. Someone who will be in their face all night long.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jul 6, 2016
ok, but these additions aren't going to come overnight.

So far, in just over two years, we've added:
Dach
Slaf
Newhook

Reinbacher
Hutson
Matheson
Engstrom

Fowler

plus:

Beck
Mesar
Heineman

Barron
Bogdan
Kovacevic

And we've got 2 extra 1sts and many other picks stock piled. And we're not a bubble team so we'll be picking high this year again.

What more were you expecting after two years?
Better coaching and a system. Better overall effort. Less errors. That is what I was expecting.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Finish doesn't really matter for a 4th line center. You want someone who will win faceoffs, play well on the pk and more importantly will tire the opponent when he's on the ice. Someone who will be in their face all night long.
Not what I was getting at. He looked good considering his stats do not but was a first rounder so was curious why he does not produce points expected from a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Better coaching and a system. Better overall effort. Less errors. That is what I was expecting.

It's largely young players and a bunch of deadweight contracts from the previous regime.

There will be mistakes, there will be slowed down and/or lazy vets. gettin Armia and Dvo off the books after next season will be nice. then we'll be left with only gallagher and Anderson, who are usefull if only as 4th liners. And the kids will hopefully have taken another step.

But yes, for me, it's a very slow and boring process, aside from dreaming and plotting for the future.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013

He was solid last season on Florida’s 4th line Rw and C. Not a bad scoop

Reactions: 26Mats

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Something else to explain this other than nepotism?
Nepotism is when you hire someone for reasons outside of their talent, to favor relatives or associates. None of this apply here.

Hughes wanted a cheap center to complete the season. He can chose someone he knows can do the job, or he can chose someone he's less sure can do the job, because he know that player less. So of course he's going to pick the guy he knows. That's not nepotism, that's normal behavior.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

In a rebuild you have to live with young player's errors, it will only help them in the future. We just spent decades watching young players getting benched for any errors they make, so this is a welcomed addition.

Hardly any coach would have success implementing a system with this roster. There has been a ton of turnover the last two years, there are plenty of young guys and then our veterans are either lazy, washed up or low-IQ players.

Reactions: Hansman and Andy

Jul 6, 2016
In a rebuild you have to live with young player's errors, it will only help them in the future. We just spent decades watching young players getting benched for any errors they make, so this is a welcomed addition.

Hardly any coach would have success implementing a system with this roster. There has been a ton of turnover the last two years, there are plenty of young guys and then our veterans are either lazy, washed up or low-IQ players.
How can a coach like Tortorella have so much better results with a cast of players no better than the Habs have ?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
ok, but these additions aren't going to come overnight.

So far, in just over two years, we've added:
Dach
Slaf
Newhook

Reinbacher
Hutson
Matheson
Engstrom

Fowler

plus:

Beck
Mesar
Heineman

Barron
Bogdan
Kovacevic

And we've got 2 extra 1sts and many other picks stock piled. And we're not a bubble team so we'll be picking high this year again.

What more were you expecting after two years?

Honestly I like the state of the rebuild rn. I just dont know if we're 2-3 years away, or another 5-10years.

I also love that we see concrete and tangible improvements in Suzuki, Slaf namely. Crossing fingers that Dach is done with injuries. Guhle is awesome.

After that Im just waiting to see what happens.

Reactions: Oryxo and 26Mats

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
How can a coach like Tortorella have so much better results with a cast of players no better than the Habs have ?

Flyers have quite a bit more depth up front. Between Konecny, Farabee, Tippett Brink, Frost, Foerster, Couturier, Atkinson, Laughton, Cates - no game breaking star, but all solid.

We have... one line.count Newhook if you want, but guys like Anderson, Gallagher, Arnia, Evans dont compare.

And obviously Torts is one of the best coaches in the league while St Louis looks like a development coach/cheerleader rn.

Nothing wrong with that, theyve been at it longer than we did

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Tortorella has way more to work with than MSL, it isn't comparable. The Habs just picked up a guy with zero points this year to centre their 4th line while Tortorella has Laughton centering his 4th line.. Laughton has 10 more points than our current 4th highest scoring forward.

Tortorella has one of the best 2-way centres in the league in Couturier, younger guys like Farabee, Konency, Tippett, Frost, Foerster and Brink to chip in offensively and then they have useful vets like Laughton, Hathaway and Cates who are a big reason they have one of the best penalty killing units in the league.

On D Philly has a good mix of steady veterans like Sanheim/Walker/Seeler then their D is filled out with recent first rounders in York/Drysdale, while MSL is working with 5 of his 7 D being 1st or 2nd year players.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This might shock you.. but 4th line players are genuinely not very good, especially on rebuilding teams..

People get upset when we win games because it could worsen our draft position. Then people get upset when we don't get better players than Colin White/Tierney who are basically just warm bodies to put in the lineup and won't help us win games.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I mean. Let's say both Newhook and Roy aren't top 6. There is a good chance we draft a really good top 6 player st the draft this year (Celebrini, Eiserman, Lindstrom, Iginla, Helenius, Demidov, Conolly, Greentree). So we'd just be missing one more top 6 winger. Those can be acquired in free agency or trade.

Then on D. You don't like:
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson/Engstrom - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux/Struble/Barron
Harris/Kovacevic/Trudeau
I love the promise on D, but yeah Newhook, Roy and future draftee are no sure bets to move the needle… So much speculation still. I like the direction, but it still needs a few game breakers to lose the “mid” feeling. I do agree a full line up of good players are needed to eventually surround whatever elite players they hopefully land somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad