Confirmed with Link: Colin White claimed off waivers from the Penguins

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A lot of us were wondering why Hughes didn’t claim Adam Ruzicka back on Jan. 25th.

Looking at his stats, he’s played only 3 games since being claimed by Calgary. His TOI was sub-10 mins per game and has no points.

I wonder why they’re not playing him and who knows what might have been if the Habs had claimed him.

Colin White is 3 years older than Ruzicka and in both cases, their current stints also serve as wake-up calls. Maybe White raises his game for a chance at making the team next season?

Reactions: Chili

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Blais was a UFA this preseason and was never signed. Not sure the context of the team has changed that much to warrant having interest in him and he seems to like STL.
Year to year it depends how much room we have. But I think only after Armia and Dvo are off the books would we have room for blais on the 4th line.

Whose spot would he take next year?

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evan's - Ylonen
Pez, Armia
+ Heineman (next year is his last year of waiver exepmtion)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anthony Marcotte has the merit of not backing away from taking a stance. He is not a pro scout and doesn’t have access to the Habs’ scouting intel and means but in his assessment, Colin White looks to be at the end of his rope.

Marcotte saying that White slowed down considerably and had negligible impact even while he was in the AHL.

Believes White was mainly added to enable Gignac to join Laval.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Year to year it depends how much room we have. But I think only after Armia and Dvo are off the books would we have room for blais on the 4th line.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Pez, Armia
It is so incredibly sad that this is still the line up next year. My dead cat can take the spot of anyone not on that 1st line + Dach as far as I care. Wow what a sad bunch :(

I thought this new guy played ok fwiw. He and Pearson seemed to find each other.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's sad we have to discuss so many pages of below-average nhl players. I look at Anderson, Gallagher, Dvorak, Kovasevic, Harris, White and others and I see nothing. A black hole, none of these deserve such media attention. On the ice they are a big bunch of a disfonctionnal hockey team. This hockey franchise have an history of excelllence thru the decades, a century and now it's a big mess with very little hope in maybe 2 or 3 years. We basicly claim players on waivers to continue tanking, this is the more pertinent comment we should make. The best comments I've read are the short and sarcastic ones on this thread.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It is so incredibly sad that this is still the line up next year. My dead cat can take the spot of anyone not on that 1st line + Dach as far as I care. Wow what a sad bunch :(

I thought this new guy played ok fwiw. He and Pearson seemed to find each other.

- we're just starting the rebuild
- Roy and Newhook are good future top 9 players. If they don't end up 2nd liners, they'll be good 3rd liners. So we're only missing two top 9 wingers plus a 3c. Maybe that 3c is Beck. Maybe we re-sign Monahan.
- maybe we draft a top 6 forward with our 2024 1st and/or trade for one with Winnipeg's 1st.
-dcore in Laval next year will have a top 5 of Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Mailloux, and Trudeau, if they're not in Montreal.

A lot of great pieces for the rebuild. And some good assets to add the missing pieces.

Reactions: CaptainKirk

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Anthony Marcotte has the merit of not backing away from taking a stance. He is not a pro scout and doesn’t have access to the Habs’ scouting intel and means but in his assessment, Colin White looks to be at the end of his rope.

Marcotte saying that White slowed down considerably and had negligible impact even while he was in the AHL.

Believes White was mainly added to enable Gignac to join Laval.

Great so they'll give him an extension for next season right? :sarcasm:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
- Roy and Newhook are good future top 9 players. If they don't end up 2nd liners, they'll be good 3rd liners. So we're only missing two top 9 wingers plus a 3c. Maybe that 3c is Beck. Maybe we re-sign Monahan.
- maybe we draft a top 6 forward with our 2024 1st and/or trade for one with Winnipeg's 1st.
-dcore in Laval next year will have a top 5 of Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Mailloux, and Trudeau, if they're not in Montreal.

A lot of great pieces for the rebuild. And some good assets to add the missing pieces.
I like the optimism. I don’t see much in talent coming that would be top tier NHL at whatever position (and spot in the line up) they’ll play. Filling jerseys and riding the goalie has pretty much been the only strategy I can remember at this point… Hughes gotta go for it this summer and the next I only see jersey fillers and some sparse wishful thinking on D so far coming up.

“Good future top 9” sounds like tofu, I hope that’s not criteria for said rebuild.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like the optimism. I don’t see much in talent coming that would be top tier NHL at whatever position they’ll play. Filling jerseys and riding the goalie has pretty much been the only strategy I can remember at this point… Hughes gotta go for it this summer and the next I only see jersey fillers and some sparse wishful thinking on D so far coming up.

“Good future top 9” sounds like tofu, I hope that’s not criteria for said rebuild.

I mean. Let's say both Newhook and Roy aren't top 6. There is a good chance we draft a really good top 6 player st the draft this year (Celebrini, Eiserman, Lindstrom, Iginla, Helenius, Demidov, Conolly, Greentree). So we'd just be missing one more top 6 winger. Those can be acquired in free agency or trade.

Then on D. You don't like:
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson/Engstrom - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux/Struble/Barron
Harris/Kovacevic/Trudeau

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Edit nvm I see you already addressed

If Roy and Newhook aren't second liners, we're missing two second liners, thats pretty important. This also counts on Dach coming back to form AND not getting injured again. Hes still a bit of a project until he can play a full season in a top 6 position..

This also assumes that Suzuki - Caufield - Slaf is a 1st line that can hang with the bests out there. I think they can do it if our 2nd line was extremely good, but as said above it might end up 3rd line level

The D looks promising, and I hope we have a homerun in at least one guy. And a few other good pieces. Could make for a decent piece ti trade for a top 6 player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Edit nvm I see you already addressed

If Roy and Newhook aren't second liners, we're missing two second liners, thats pretty important. This also counts on Dach coming back to form AND not getting injured again. Hes still a bit of a project until he can play a full season in a top 6 position..

This also assumes that Suzuki - Caufield - Slaf is a 1st line that can hang with the bests out there. I think they can do it if our 2nd line was extremely good, but as said above it might end up 3rd line level

The D looks promising, and I hope we have a homerun in at least one guy. And a few other good pieces. Could make for a decent piece ti trade for a top 6 player.

Yes Dach isn't a sure thing. But we just completed year 2 of the rebuild (HuGo on the job) and are at the beginning of year 3. So I'm happy with what we have. But I fully expect Hughes to keep adding prospects. And some of them will be at positions we already have depth. Hughes likes to flood the organization at each position. I think Hughes will at least try to get more top centers over the next couple of drafts, especially since Dach can play wing if we land a big fish, and has had injury troubles.

Rebuild usually takes 5 years. We're not even half way there. To expect us to be is to be impatient, unrealistic, and a bit spoiled by the franchise's success in the past when we had certain competitive advantages that we no longer have. It's a different league now. We're not going to build a contender overnight and by bandaid solutions.

Reactions: abo9

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
A lot of us were wondering why Hughes didn’t claim Adam Ruzicka back on Jan. 25th.

Looking at his stats, he’s played only 3 games since being claimed by Calgary. His TOI was sub-10 mins per game and has no points.

I wonder why they’re not playing him and who knows what might have been if the Habs had claimed him.

Colin White is 3 years older than Ruzicka and in both cases, their current stints also serve as wake-up calls. Maybe White raises his game for a chance at making the team next season?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes Dach isn't a sure thing. But we just completed year 2 of the rebuild (HuGo on the job) and are at the beginning of year 3. So I'm happy with what we have. But I fully expect Hughes to keep adding prospects. And some of them will be at positions we already have depth. Hughes likes to flood the organization at each position. I think Hughes will at least try to get more top centers over the next couple of drafts, especially since Dach can play wing if we land a big fish, and has had injury troubles.

Rebuild usually takes 5 years. We're not even half way there. To expect us to be is to be impatient, unrealistic, and a bit spoiled by the franchise's success in the past when we had certain competitive advantages that we no longer have. It's a different league now. We're not going to build a contender overnight and by bandaid solutions.

Agreed with your first half, but hard disagree with the second.

No offense, but only the oldest fans have been "spoiled" by the franchise success of the past. I grew up on post 2000 Habs, and while we had some fun years, Montreal has never been a serious contender during my lifetime.

Its not impatience, in fact it might be the opposite. I say, lets continue to grab talent wherever we can so if only one guy out of Roy, Newhook, Dach has success in the top 6, then we dont miss a beat.

And as much as I like Suzuki - Caufield, we so badly need either a transcendental takent, or another Suzuki to be a real threat. No mkre half assing, and I hope youre right that they continue bringing in centers. Cannot have enough Centers

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed with your first half, but hard disagree with the second.

No offense, but only the oldest fans have been "spoiled" by the franchise success of the past. I grew up on post 2000 Habs, and while we had some fun years, Montreal has never been a serious contender during my lifetime.

Its not impatience, in fact it might be the opposite. I say, lets continue to grab talent wherever we can so if only one guy out of Roy, Newhook, Dach has success in the top 6, then we dont miss a beat.

And as much as I like Suzuki - Caufield, we so badly need either a transcendental takent, or another Suzuki to be a real threat. No mkre half assing, and I hope youre right that they continue bringing in centers. Cannot have enough Centers
ok, but these additions aren't going to come overnight.

So far, in just over two years, we've added:
Dach
Slaf
Newhook

Reinbacher
Hutson
Matheson
Engstrom

Fowler

plus:

Beck
Mesar
Heineman

Barron
Bogdan
Kovacevic

And we've got 2 extra 1sts and many other picks stock piled. And we're not a bubble team so we'll be picking high this year again.

What more were you expecting after two years?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
RHP - Dvo - Anderson
Pez, Armia
I bet they send Pez to the Canucks. They are in dire need of some grit and toughness, he would fit in perfectly there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What a f***ing idiot.

Like, you have such a small window to make money with you're an athlete. Competition is fierce. I would be focused as f*** to be the best I could be during that small window of productivity. These folks just throw away their careers for some fun.
We'd be surprised how many professional athletes put their careers in jeopardy like this all the time.

But at least, the large majority of them aren't dumb enough to post it on social media.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad