Prospect Info: Cole Perfetti, 10th Overall Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You didn't get to see Cole's edgework or speed at draft day ;).

Guy could be McDavid for all we know now :laugh:

Very true we can definitely hope for a growth spurt or some radical results from a half year of individual training in strength, conditioning, and skating.

Reactions: MardyBum

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Very true we can definitely hope for a growth spurt or some radical results from a half year of individual training in strength, conditioning, and skating.

I hope he's been busting his ass these last. . 7? months. I remember @Romang67 saying he was skating for 3 months up to draft day, hopefully comes in and blows us all away at TC.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope he's been busting his ass these last. . 7? months. I remember @Romang67 saying he was skating for 3 months up to draft day, hopefully comes in and blows us all away at TC.

Yea my guess is he will put in the work but I will want to be following that. The second piece is just the natural god given physical maturity cycle of turning into a man. He may still be fighting a bit of an uphill battle with timing of that aspect. A great training program and hard work can really help though so GO Cole GO.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yea my guess is he will put in the work but I will want to be following that. The second piece is just the natural god given physical maturity cycle of turning into a man. He may still be fighting a bit of an uphill battle with timing of that aspect. A great training program and hard work can really help though so GO Cole GO.
Looking at the roster we have, you would think that he would see an incredible opportunity to play with some absolute too notch wingers.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looking at the roster we have, you would think that he would see an incredible opportunity to play with some absolute too notch wingers.

One thing I am confident in with his brain is there is nothing he won't think about :laugh:.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The more I hear and read about Cole, the harder it gets to not actually totally overhype my expectations for him. I'm honestly at a point I stop reading infos about him because at this pace, I'm going to expect hin to make the team easily come pre season :confused:

But this is where I come for some positivity.
The rest of the threads are depressing. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think it's as important for him to get strong enough to cycle, since players like Marner can be very effective despite lacking strength. For Perfetti I think it's more about getting an extra step in speed and having more experience playing C that might constrain him from taking the step to the NHL this year.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think it's as important for him to get strong enough to cycle, since players like Marner can be very effective despite lacking strength. For Perfetti I think it's more about getting an extra step in speed and having more experience playing C that might constrain him from taking the step to the NHL this year.

100%

For me it’s that core strength, leg strength that supports the skating refinement and improvements.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I didn’t mean cycle the puck for sure that was a bad choice of words to describe the natural physical maturation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
100%

For me it’s that core strength, leg strength that supports the skating refinement and improvements.
Agree. My impression is that Perfetti has a fairly strong base and good balance. He also has good lateral mobility. What he lacks is explosive first steps and straight-line speed. I think the explosiveness is the most important, and will come with strength. His overall speed will come with some work with a skating coach.

I think the bigger question is about whether / when he might be able to play C at the NHL level, since that tends to require more experience, and more defensive responsibilities. He might need to start on LW, if he breaks in this season or next.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree. My impression is that Perfetti has a fairly strong base and good balance. He also has good lateral mobility. What he lacks is explosive first steps and straight-line speed. I think the explosiveness is the most important, and will come with strength. His overall speed will come with some work with a skating coach.

I think the bigger question is about whether / when he might be able to play C at the NHL level, since that tends to require more experience, and more defensive responsibilities. He might need to start on LW, if he breaks in this season or next.

Thats possible. That is what Scheifele did he just needed to get a feel for the pace and keep it simpler at first.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Perfetti is much ahead of Scheifele's development at the same stage.

For sure Scheif was a late bloomer. Mark was not nearly as good as Perfetti at the same age. Mark was 6’3” and had raw potential but he never dominated the OHL like Perfetti did this season.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

I read a quote somewhere from him that he has been working with the same strength and conditioning coach that Kris Draper used when he played as well as a power skating coach that works with the Red Wings.

I have no doubt that he will make progress where needed. The kid just has that inner drive. He won’t be content until he succeeds.

I really do want to see him blow the doors off at the WJHC and my guess is that the Jets will want to see him on that stage before plugging him into their roster.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Here's our next chance at seeing Perfetti play... if he makes it...

The 2021 Canadian World Junior...

Here is the roster for the selection camp...

2020 National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp

Here is something I missed on Oct 19th on TSN...

Lets hope he makes it... stays healthy... Canada wins this tournament in Edmonton...

And he comes back to play a bit for the Jets in the New Year...

:nod:

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I think Perfetti is much ahead of Scheifele's development at the same stage.

Does anyone know how many #1 centers at 5'10" have been in the NHL in the last 20 years?

I really hope Perfetti is successful but I think we need to temper expectations. All we need is a #2 C at the Jets are set. A center who is better than Scheifele is asking a lot and extremely unlikely.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Does anyone know how many #1 centers at 5'10" have been in the NHL in the last 20 years?

I really hope Perfetti is successful but I think we need to temper expectations. All we need is a #2 C at the Jets are set. A center who is better than Scheifele is asking a lot and extremely unlikely.

Tampa just one with 5"9 center Point as their top C.

Other centers in around the same height as Perfetti:

Franchise C's:
Giroux
Crosby
Pavelski
Daysuk

2Cs:

Granlund
Trocheck
Domi

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am going to quibble a bit and say 5’11” since I have seen that height listed most. Dale Hawerchuk was 5’11” and not a fast skater. I think Perfetti might just have the talent to pull it off if he improves his skating.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I I think people are dreaming if they think Perfetti plays with the Jets this year.

I don't think the Jets will play any real games this year ;)

That said while I would love to see some NHL matches for Perfetti this season, I don't think it's happening with Maurice and also since Stastny is acquired.

Furthermore, I am afraid Maurice is going to play Perfetti as a winger anyway.

Prove me wrong, Pomo!

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Lowry fits his role better than anyone on the team.
Is Copper a better all around player and more versatile? Probably but Lowry is excellent in his role and excels in the playoffs.

Yes.
Copp is a better all around player and more versatile.
You’re overvaluing 3 playoff games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I I think people are dreaming if they think Perfetti plays with the Jets this year.

I think ita more the fact that there is likely not to be an OHL season so if he is going to get any playing time outside of the WJC then it really can only happen at the NHL level.

Nov 24, 2006

Wasn't Yzerman around that height?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad