Prospect Info: Cole Perfetti, 10th Overall Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
In 2017 on draft night I dropped by the Canucks GDT and congratulated them on drafting Elias Pettersson and told them I thought they drafted the most talented kid in the draft. There board was having a bit of a melt down because I think allot of Nucks fans wanted Glass and also Pettersson was really skinny and not physically mature yet. He also needed to work a bit on his shot.

Honestly I like it when a kid is physically immature Like Perfetti (or Pettersson) and still dominates in a league like the OHL. I look at it as a a big opportunity not a problem.

Agree, and good on ya. I felt that way when we lucked out with Ehlers -- although I didn't have the heart to drop by the 'Nucks board that day.

This thread is my happy place. So much talent with this one.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Now that Rossi has signed and set the performance bonus structure for the #9 pick, I expect Chevy to get Perfetti under contract pretty soon.

He better, or there's going to be a lot of speculation that negotiations have broken down, and even the possibility that Perfetti doesn't want to play for an old school dump and chase coach like Maurice and is looking to go back into the draft in a couple of years.

Not that I'm saying that's what's happening. Yet. We'll go with, yeah he'll sign soon. :thumbu:

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
People who are comparing him to Petan are way off base.

We should be comparing him to Granlund :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The more I hear and read about Cole, the harder it gets to not actually totally overhype my expectations for him. I'm honestly at a point I stop reading infos about him because at this pace, I'm going to expect hin to make the team easily come pre season :confused:

I was probably the most over the top cheerleader on our draft GDT as this kid was tumbling towards us but I am going to need to see some physical maturing I think.

Now the fact he is going to get such an inordinately long off season I guess one never knows? However, unlike Rossi who is already a man Cole still had allot of boyish elements physically the last time he played in the OHL.

I think the key is getting the timing right and letting him have another season. I remember living in PA the year Mike Modano got drafted and he was unreal but he wasn’t physically mature enough and one more year in juniors did wonders. On the flip side Hopkins could have used 1 or 2 more seasons in juniors to develop. Pettersson in Vancouver taking an extra year to mature was the right call.

I will keep an open mind and wait and see but short of an amazing spurt I really think one more year could increase his odds of hitting his ceiling one day.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I know that he is still bit like a boy, but I don't think a sniff of NHL "air" would hurt his development.

Obviously as the Jets acquired Stastny there is no need to rush Cole, unless Stastny or Scheifele is injured.

Still I would love to see "Heinola-treatment" for Perfetti. Also I think Ehlers-Perfetti-Laine or Laine-Perfetti-Ehlers could be just XXX-rated material if everything clicked.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I was probably the most over the top cheerleader on our draft GDT as this kid was tumbling towards us but I am going to need to see some physical maturing I think.

Now the fact he is going to get such an inordinately long off season I guess one never knows? However, unlike Rossi who is already a man Cole still had allot of boyish elements physically the last time he played in the OHL.

I think the key is getting the timing right and letting him have another season. I remember living in PA the year Mike Modano got drafted and he was unreal but he wasn’t physically mature enough and one more year in juniors did wonders. On the flip side Hopkins could have used 1 or 2 more seasons in juniors to develop. Pettersson in Vancouver taking an extra year to mature was the right call.

I will keep an open mind and wait and see but short of an amazing spurt I really think one more year could increase his odds of hitting his ceiling one day.

I think he needs another year. No need to rush him in right now, and I think going to the WJC camp would be good for him too.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I still maintain that stylistically he's akin to Hawerchuk.

yea 100%

His game isn’t really all that similar to Petan’s. Perfetti is way more dynamic and capable of putting a team on his back. Dale was top tier but Perfetti is a team carrying star in the OHL who was ranked as high as #4 by some scouts.

Nic was a good top line player on a high powered run and gun Portland team. However he was drafted 43rd for a reason. He had no where near the pedigree of Perfetti on their respective draft days.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It'll be interesting to see if more prospects from early in the 2020 draft make the NHL right out of the gate because they've had so much more time available than normal to be in the gym.
Normally their junior season begins and it's a struggle to keep weight on while also playing. Access to facilities during closures and lockdown could potentially give prospects a larger than normal leap forward physically.

It's probably too early to predict how the lockdowns have affected development though, we'll likely need to wait and see when the prospects get into camps.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm expecting that he won't be NHL ready this season. Two basic reasons
-He looks thin and not done growing.
-He slows the pace of play. Prospects that play that way have a tougher adjustment to the NHL.

Ready or not, I think the Jets keep him up if the OHL can't play. If the OHL can play, he should probably be there.

Prove me wrong Cole.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The only player that I can think of recently that looked way too physically immature that did well in the NHL was Mitch Marner. That was after he took an extra season in the OHL. Mitch wasn’t a burner but he had more dynamic edge work than Cole who has good edge work too but not at Marner’s draft day level yet.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
"The kid has that it factor. Reminds me of a middle-ground of Marner and Jeff Skinner. Weaker skater than both of them, but everything else is unreal. Unreal IQ, hands, shot and passing. He should be in the discussion for 2 right now.
93LEAFS, Aug 9, 2019"

This is how you know he's legit. Leafs fans were drooling over this kid before. Since we drafted him he hasn't said a word about him being good, but can't go back on it now!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
"The kid has that it factor. Reminds me of a middle-ground of Marner and Jeff Skinner. Weaker skater than both of them, but everything else is unreal. Unreal IQ, hands, shot and passing. He should be in the discussion for 2 right now.
93LEAFS, Aug 9, 2019"

This is how you know he's legit. Leafs fans were drooling over this kid before. Since we drafted him he hasn't said a word about him being good, but can't go back on it now!
Agree with this --he has always struck me as a Marner-like in hockey IQ. I'd say he brings all of the above, plus Morrissey-level intellect off the ice and Schefele-level motivation to perfect his game. Potent combination.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
93LEAFS, Aug 9, 2019"

Too funny. :laugh:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The only player that I can think of recently that looked way too physically immature that did well in the NHL was Mitch Marner. That was after he took an extra season in the OHL. Mitch wasn’t a burner but he had more dynamic edge work than Cole who has good edge work too but not at Marner’s draft day level yet.

You didn't get to see Cole's edgework or speed at draft day ;).

Guy could be McDavid for all we know now :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad