Prospect Info: Colby Barlow LW(18th overall)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Looks like he is READY for the playoffs!!!!
1503582902-scaled-e1688002998259.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In the consolidated rankings, Moore was 9, Barlow 12. Both way better than 18. Moore has the advantage of being a C. Barlow seems to have intangibles that may be worth more.

My challenge with Moore and why I didn’t have him in my cluster of players I was hoping would fall to us #18 is I love parts of his game (speed, puck transportation, and Swiss army knife) but the red flag for me is hockey IQ from reading scouting reports. The Scouts I read were split on if he was going to be a centre or winger at the NHL level due to his tendency to not utilize his wingers like you would expect from a center.

I would love to draft more centers and RHD men but when you pick #18 it sucks because the franchise altering centers usually go in the top 10. Listening to Chevy it sounds like they were really surprised and happy Barlow fell to them. The bonus is we get a scoring winger but he actually competes in all 3 zones, is tough to play against, and is more of a playoff prototype which is a refreshing change.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just based on facial hair he ( Barlow ) looks like he could be Cole Perfetti's dad.

If Craig likes it, you know it's good....

TSN's Craig Button was almost as excited as the Jets that they were able to select the Ontario product.

"In every draft, I have a hockey player crush. Colby Barlow is my hockey player crush. I've watched him play for a number of years now and everything he does in a game is directed towards 'what do I have to do right here and now to help the team win?'" said Button.

"If you need a goal, he's going to try and get you a goal. You need a great penalty kill, he's going to have a great penalty kill. You need some grinding on the wall, he's going to do that. Play down low, screen in front of the net, there is nothing in the game that Colby isn't going to embrace fully."

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Good value pick. Very safe, low risk pick.

Hopefully McGroarty and/or Perfetti can be Cs so that we're not overloaded with LWs.

Hopefully we at least try Perfetti at C and hope he does well. I don't have a lot of confidence in most of our prospects for any of them turning into a C (McGroarty maybe?).

I do like what I am reading about Barlow, so I am warming up to the pick, but C and RHD is still dangerously low in our prospect pool.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My challenge with Moore and why I didn’t have him in my cluster of players I was hoping would fall to us #18 is I love parts of his game (speed, puck transportation, and Swiss army knife) but the red flag for me is hockey IQ from reading scouting reports. The Scouts I read were split on if he was going to be a centre or winger at the NHL level due to his tendency to not utilize his wingers like you would expect from a center.

I would love to draft more centers and RHD men but when you pick #18 it sucks because the franchise altering centers usually go in the top 10. Listening to Chevy it sounds like they were really surprised and happy Barlow fell to them. The bonus is we get a scoring winger but he actually competes in all 3 zones, is tough to play against, and is more of a playoff prototype which is a refreshing change.
I do not read reports on players or have the knowledge of them like PS does,(or others) but I think the Jets were looking for more of a power forward, something like Mathew Tkachuk. This Moore guy seems to be more of a white collar player, and fast smooth skater. We have guys like that in Ehlers, Morrisey,Lambert and Connor. From the little I've read this Barlow guy has grit, and is not scared to stand in front of the net and mix things up. ( like Tkachuk) With Dubois gone, Barlow will fill in at that spot well along with McGroarty. I think your team needs a combination of these skills. The only negative thing I heard on Barlow, is he's a bit of a sluggish skater, but he is a great goal scorer, and I trust the Jets pondered all this and made the right decision.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My thoughts about this as well... I really don't think it's a coincidence that they took Rutger and now Barlow regarding the ongoing leadership and lockerroom issues. They want to make sure that their next generation isn't going down that path as well.

Really happy witht he pick. Watched a couple of recap and highlight videos and oh my is the kid skilled in shooting the puck. Wow. He must be the best shot we drafted since Laine. Especially his toedrag and wristshot velocity together with the quickness he releases it is nuts. But he apparently also has an accurate and hard onetimer as well.

Most other aspects of his game don't look that far developed but there is also nothing looking like it is below average and needs serious work either. IQ, mental, character and compete level should be very high up there according to everyone that knows him a bit better so yeah... Not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this guy.

I also liked his interview with WST, really sounded like he was genuinely happy to be drafted by the Jets. I know they all say it but I'm working in Marketing and PR for many years now and I think I have a very, very good sense about those things wether someone just gives the plain "obvious answer" or someone genuinely means and lives their spoken words.

*edit*

View attachment 723334

found this picture from 2019. Left is Kiefer Barlow (brother) and right is Colby Barlow. Maybe his family or at least some parts of his family actually are quite thrilled he got drafted by the Jets?

Source: 'A boy with a dream': Colby Barlow's journey to the NHL draft (scroll through the photo gallery)

Thats quite the story...

:thumbu:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I think Moore was pretty good value at 18 but yeah he seemed like maybe he was more Newhook than Larkin the deeper I dove.

I was admittedly not going to be stoked about almost any winger we picked. My favourite I was hoping for was Simashev but I guess that was a pipe dream as it turned out haha. I was too afraid to bet the under on spot like 17.5 or something on him and he ends up going before Michkov lol

Reactions: ps241 and GNP
Nov 24, 2006
You aren't totally alone. I was paying attention to C and RHD only. Also wanted Moore.
But with what I am hearing about Barlow I have come around. Smart, high compete, hard to play against guys who might actually be happy in Wpg will be worth more than their positions imply.
Seems like the Jets should interview families and girlfriends before the draft too
”What’s your girlfriends favourite colour of Canada Goose parka?”

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg

That's what I like about Barlow, is he's a tough guy to play against and scores easily, yes playoff prototype player. The4 Blackbook has a incredible write up on him!! The Pro Scouts comments are incredible. This is the guy we wanted!!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
More info on Barlow for you:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I could be totally wrong as I only know about him from this thread, but perhaps it isn’t as much of an issue as he has already shown a proclivity for gritty, physical play, so he’ll continue to try and match up against NHL players. If he were purely finesse, and just relied on deking everyone out, then maybe it’s more of a concern?
Yeah I'm hoping and his shot sounds NHL ready. Just playing devil's advocate.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Seems like Chevy got another player rated well above his pick #.

I wanted a C, or at least a RHD. We have huge needs at those positions. But this guy sounds too good to pass up.
Chevy did seem ecstatic that they got him. With their penchant for liking players from the US NTDP I figured selecting Moore was a lock and maybe he would have been had Barlow not been available.

I was also hoping for a C or RHD (Dragicevic) but I honestly didn’t think there was much of a shot Barlow would be an option at #18. I thought he’d go in the 10-14 range.

Now if only Chevy could swing a deal for an early 2nd so we can add another really solid player:crossfing

This is my wish list

Dragicevic
Brindley
Halttunen
Whitelaw
Strbak
Mackinnon
Wahlberg
Molgaard
Augustine

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
That's what I like about Barlow, is he's a tough guy to play against and scores easily, yes playoff prototype player. The4 Blackbook has a incredible write up on him!! The Pro Scouts comments are incredible. This is the guy we wanted!!

Could we maybe get a scan of that going on here? @ps241 ? I know you're a black book connaisseur comme les Spanish would say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad