Prospect Info: Colby Barlow LW(18th overall)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Our lineup in 3 years.

Connor-Vilardi-Lambert
Perfetti-Scheif (don't want to hear it)-Lucius
Barlow-McGoalty-Nino
Barron-Lowry-Chib

JMo Lundmark
Samberg Solomonsson
Heinola DD

Who the hell knows for goaltenders?

Seems like it wouldn't be that high of a salary cap not counting goalies? 60ish?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I wonder if he dropped this low because some scouts saw him as just physically more mature than others at that age and the rest will catch up to him. Like a 16 year old playing with 14 year olds.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I wonder if he dropped this low because some scouts saw him as just physically more mature than others at that age and the rest will catch up to him. Like a 16 year old playing with 14 year olds.

Certainly possible. It’s always something I like to keep an eye on. Although it seems he’s been a late riser which is also a good sign.

Reactions: kylbaz

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You aren't totally alone. I was paying attention to C and RHD only. Also wanted Moore.
But with what I am hearing about Barlow I have come around. Smart, high compete, hard to play against guys who might actually be happy in Wpg will be worth more than their positions imply.
Seems like the Jets should interview families and girlfriends before the draft too

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Thanks for posting that video!

I hope Colby Barlow and Rutger McGroarty develop into top 6 players and stay here LONG-TERM. I imagine that players with CHARACTER off the charts are not the type to explore free agency and develop lasting relationships. Maybe that is just me grasping straws.
Entitlement is something every employer(including myself) is dealing with in the work place with new hires… I don’t think the NHL is exempt.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not sure I'dlet Ehlers walk for nothing...
I wouldn't but who am I going to pencil in for him?
Will that player(s) be in the NHL?
I'd re-sign him for 5 years if he would stay and that would make that lineup even better.
5 x 7.5m if he is still performing?

Reactions: WolfHouse

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Colby is a Left shot and is listed as LW on the Owen Sound roster. However, when viewing his highlight reel, a lot of action is coming off the Right side. Does anyone know if he's spent much time on RW?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
First I felt a bit dissepointed when we skipped Gabe P and Moore, but then I thought, both gives me vibe they wanna play in US and bolt as quick as possible (I have no inside knowledge, it just feels like that) so on the end I like it. We need Canadiens..

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I could be totally wrong as I only know about him from this thread, but perhaps it isn’t as much of an issue as he has already shown a proclivity for gritty, physical play, so he’ll continue to try and match up against NHL players. If he were purely finesse, and just relied on deking everyone out, then maybe it’s more of a concern?

pezdawg

Jun 26, 2023
I am not going to claim to understand anything about the physical or mental makeup of a guy that I had heard of maybe … twice (?) before today.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that the mentality in our front office seems to have shifted. Skill is great, but the focus seems to be on guys who are a nuisance to play against, guys who will work hard, guys who will backcheck and guys who will lead the locker room.

Barlow, Vilardi, Iafallo, MacGrimace or whatever his name is … I like the style of player we seemed to have zoned in on.

Reactions: kellhunter

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Between him and McGroarty, at least the future of the locker room cohesiveness is looking bright!

My thoughts about this as well... I really don't think it's a coincidence that they took Rutger and now Barlow regarding the ongoing leadership and lockerroom issues. They want to make sure that their next generation isn't going down that path as well.

Really happy witht he pick. Watched a couple of recap and highlight videos and oh my is the kid skilled in shooting the puck. Wow. He must be the best shot we drafted since Laine. Especially his toedrag and wristshot velocity together with the quickness he releases it is nuts. But he apparently also has an accurate and hard onetimer as well.

Most other aspects of his game don't look that far developed but there is also nothing looking like it is below average and needs serious work either. IQ, mental, character and compete level should be very high up there according to everyone that knows him a bit better so yeah... Not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this guy.

I also liked his interview with WST, really sounded like he was genuinely happy to be drafted by the Jets. I know they all say it but I'm working in Marketing and PR for many years now and I think I have a very, very good sense about those things wether someone just gives the plain "obvious answer" or someone genuinely means and lives their spoken words.

*edit*

colbybarlow-6-22-23-8.jpg

found this picture from 2019. Left is Kiefer Barlow (brother) and right is Colby Barlow. Maybe his family or at least some parts of his family actually are quite thrilled he got drafted by the Jets?

Source: 'A boy with a dream': Colby Barlow's journey to the NHL draft (scroll through the photo gallery)

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
My thoughts about this as well... I really don't think it's a coincidence that they took Rutger and now Barlow regarding the ongoing leadership and lockerroom issues. They want to make sure that their next generation isn't going down that path as well.

Really happy witht he pick. Watched a couple of recap and highlight videos and oh my is the kid skilled in shooting the puck. Wow. He must be the best shot we drafted since Laine. Especially his toedrag and wristshot velocity together with the quickness he releases it is nuts. But he apparently also has an accurate and hard onetimer as well.

Most other aspects of his game don't look that far developed but there is also nothing looking like it is below average and needs serious work either. IQ, mental, character and compete level should be very high up there according to everyone that knows him a bit better so yeah... Not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this guy.

I also liked his interview with WST, really sounded like he was genuinely happy to be drafted by the Jets. I know they all say it but I'm working in Marketing and PR for many years now and I think I have a very, very good sense about those things wether someone just gives the plain "obvious answer" or someone genuinely means and lives their spoken words.

*edit*

View attachment 723334

found this picture from 2019. Left is Kiefer Barlow (brother) and right is Colby Barlow. Maybe his family or at least some parts of his family actually are quite thrilled he got drafted by the Jets?

Source: 'A boy with a dream': Colby Barlow's journey to the NHL draft (scroll through the photo gallery)

Honestly I did not get the impression his family was morbid he was drafted by the Jets

Just like you I also got the impression they were overflowing w emotion and it was a reflection of the sacrifice that paid off in that moment of his name being called to join the big league. Those were some genuine hugs and the guy could barely hold his excitement when he was talking to hustler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad