Prospect Info: Colby Barlow LW(18th overall)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
In the consolidated rankings, Moore was 9, Barlow 12. Both way better than 18. Moore has the advantage of being a C. Barlow seems to have intangibles that may be worth more.

Yeah, IDK about the intangibles but was interested in Moore as a scoring natural centre with great tools.

I get that a team needs McGroartys but it also needs centres -- and as we know, it ain't easy to get a 1C via trade.

Maybe just as Vegas invented the 4-way mediocre goalie platoon, the Jets can play with a top 6 made up entirely of wingers.

I wonder if he dropped this low because some scouts saw him as just physically more mature than others at that age and the rest will catch up to him. Like a 16 year old playing with 14 year olds.

I can't work out if his physical maturity lies solely in the area of beardliness.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
^^^

Too many great posts to quote and like properly, but wanted to give a group shout-out to all those contributing their knowledge and research finds to the draft threads -- great reading for those of us too lazy, cheap or draft-inexperienced to mine that deep ourselves.

Cody BarDown looks like a terrific pick -- as always I'll be rooting hard for him and looking forward to seeing him play.

If nothing else, we will be the 2023 Seattle Kraken of 2025-26!

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
^^^

Too many great posts to quote and like properly, but wanted to give a group shout-out to all those contributing their knowledge and research finds to the draft threads -- great reading for those of us too lazy, cheap or draft-inexperienced to mine that deep ourselves.

Cody BarDown looks like a terrific pick -- as always I'll be rooting hard for him and looking forward to seeing him play.

If nothing else, we will be the 2023 Seattle Kraken of 2025-26!

What a nickname.

Reactions: Been around

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't questioned Chevy's drafting acumen in a very long time, but... just kidding. Barlow looks pretty good.

Joins Scheifele, Morrissey and Perfetti as the 4th time the Jets have used their first pick on a Canadian (2nd time in 4 drafts).

It's a BPA strategy, so I don't think they're colouring in a map or anything, but here's the national tally of their first pick (first pick in the draft, not total 1st round picks - and Gus (SWE) was 2nd round):

Canada: 4, USA: 4, Finland: 3, Denmark: 1, Sweden: 1

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the Jets are getting a nice blend of "hard" skill and setting and scoring. Players like Lambert and Chibrikov are very good in transition. Perfetti and Lambert are willing passers that create space. McGroarty, Barlow, Lucius and Rashevsky live to find space and get to hard areas with top-grade scoring.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the Jets are getting a nice blend of "hard" skill and setting and scoring. Players like Lambert and Chibrikov are very good in transition. Perfetti and Lambert are willing passers that create space. McGroarty, Barlow, Lucius and Rashevsky live to find space and get to hard areas with top-grade scoring.

Yeah I like the diversity in player styles and skills we have been drafting lately

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Link has been posted above, but these batch of quotes from scouts offers a condensed mulitpinion of his perceived strengths & weaknesses / floor & ceiling, IMO:

"Barlow has a ton of value because of his projected versatility. It's rare to find solid goal scorers who don't need to have their responsibilities sheltered. I remember saying the same thing about Jack Quinn, in his draft year, and it's why I had him ranked highly too. Barlow could end up developing into the type of guy you want on the ice whether you're up a goal or down a goal late in the game. He is a smart kid, probably wears a letter in the NHL, and has the kind of straight forward game that projects to play well in the NHL playoffs. People seem to focus on the things that he needs to improve on for him to develop into a top six forward (overall mobility, small area skill), but they should be focusing on all the things he does well already that make him one of the most pro ready players available this year." - Brock Otten

"I came away so impressed with the live viewing I had of Colby Barlow. He's someone who has an NHL ready body, and an NHL ready shot. Plus, he shows as a mature player beyond his years, given the captaincy he was given this year for Owen Sound. Like a lot of players, I would have loved to have seen more playoff action ,to see how he would perform when the games got real because with his size, and strength, he's tailor made for a physical game. Skating fluidity was the only downside I saw, but overall he's well earned his Top 15 ranking. 76 goals in 118 games is true sniper material, and he's added 8 more in 11 playoff games." - Steve Clark

"To me Barlow has all the makings of an elite power forward in the NHL. With his combination of shooting ability, size, and tenacity on the puck, he is a nightmare to defend against. He has drastically improved his off the puck play throughout the year and has a knack for getting himself open in the scoring area. When fully engaged he is unstoppable; very few in this class have his combination of natural scoring ability and size. I think he is easily the best 2023 NHL Draft prospect in this OHL class, and it is not particularly close in my opinion." - Austin Broad

"Obviously a ton to like about his game on this ice, but I don't think you can really understate just how impressive his work in the classroom was this season. Barlow had a stretch from January 20th to 28th where he played 6 games in 9 days (including CHL Top Prospects) and managed to write his mid-term grade 12 exams in that timeframe as well. Barlow never let his on-ice commitments take away from his work in the classroom, and became the first ever Owen Sound Attack player to win the CHL Scholastic Player of the Year award. For a bona-fide NHL prospect to have that kind of commitment in his draft year to excelling in school speaks volumes about the type of person he is." - Victor Findlay

"Barlow is an interesting prospect in that he plays a fairly simple north-south game, driving to the net and overpowering his opponents with his strength. The Owen Sound captain is physically mature which allows him to bully junior-aged players already in front of the net and around the boards. His shot is very good but he has a tendency to take shots from above the faceoff circles and then follow it up and attempt to bang in the rebound. His shot metrics look great because he does follow his initial shot up so frequently. Barlow is a decent play connector and has a nose for the net with the hands to score on those chances in tight. His acceleration and agility are going to need work as they limit his mobility at this stage. He is a safe player if you’re looking for an NHLer but his lack of dynamism and mobility issues could limit just how high in an NHL lineup he could play. " - Tony Ferrari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah I like the diversity in player styles and skills we have been drafting lately
Barlow (and McGroarty) bring a bit of Jake DeBrusk and Tyler Bertuzzi with their games.

I think McGroarty is actually a very good facilitator and passer. Barlow is more of a scorer. Scoring is such an important attribute. Good to add them, along with play drivers like Lambert.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
This is my favorite part of having a team I think. I love watching these kids and parents fulfill a dream and now watching them grow.

Here's hoping for the best as we all know there just kids so one never knows how it will turn out.

On the hockey side are the Jets actually starting to create a culture and style I think would work great here ?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Link has been posted above, but these batch of quotes from scouts offers a condensed mulitpinion of his perceived strengths & weaknesses / floor & ceiling, IMO:

"Barlow has a ton of value because of his projected versatility. It's rare to find solid goal scorers who don't need to have their responsibilities sheltered. I remember saying the same thing about Jack Quinn, in his draft year, and it's why I had him ranked highly too. Barlow could end up developing into the type of guy you want on the ice whether you're up a goal or down a goal late in the game. He is a smart kid, probably wears a letter in the NHL, and has the kind of straight forward game that projects to play well in the NHL playoffs. People seem to focus on the things that he needs to improve on for him to develop into a top six forward (overall mobility, small area skill), but they should be focusing on all the things he does well already that make him one of the most pro ready players available this year." - Brock Otten

"I came away so impressed with the live viewing I had of Colby Barlow. He's someone who has an NHL ready body, and an NHL ready shot. Plus, he shows as a mature player beyond his years, given the captaincy he was given this year for Owen Sound. Like a lot of players, I would have loved to have seen more playoff action ,to see how he would perform when the games got real because with his size, and strength, he's tailor made for a physical game. Skating fluidity was the only downside I saw, but overall he's well earned his Top 15 ranking. 76 goals in 118 games is true sniper material, and he's added 8 more in 11 playoff games." - Steve Clark

"To me Barlow has all the makings of an elite power forward in the NHL. With his combination of shooting ability, size, and tenacity on the puck, he is a nightmare to defend against. He has drastically improved his off the puck play throughout the year and has a knack for getting himself open in the scoring area. When fully engaged he is unstoppable; very few in this class have his combination of natural scoring ability and size. I think he is easily the best 2023 NHL Draft prospect in this OHL class, and it is not particularly close in my opinion." - Austin Broad

"Obviously a ton to like about his game on this ice, but I don't think you can really understate just how impressive his work in the classroom was this season. Barlow had a stretch from January 20th to 28th where he played 6 games in 9 days (including CHL Top Prospects) and managed to write his mid-term grade 12 exams in that timeframe as well. Barlow never let his on-ice commitments take away from his work in the classroom, and became the first ever Owen Sound Attack player to win the CHL Scholastic Player of the Year award. For a bona-fide NHL prospect to have that kind of commitment in his draft year to excelling in school speaks volumes about the type of person he is." - Victor Findlay

"Barlow is an interesting prospect in that he plays a fairly simple north-south game, driving to the net and overpowering his opponents with his strength. The Owen Sound captain is physically mature which allows him to bully junior-aged players already in front of the net and around the boards. His shot is very good but he has a tendency to take shots from above the faceoff circles and then follow it up and attempt to bang in the rebound. His shot metrics look great because he does follow his initial shot up so frequently. Barlow is a decent play connector and has a nose for the net with the hands to score on those chances in tight. His acceleration and agility are going to need work as they limit his mobility at this stage. He is a safe player if you’re looking for an NHLer but his lack of dynamism and mobility issues could limit just how high in an NHL lineup he could play. " - Tony Ferrari
Makes you wonder if he maybe could get a look out of camp. Being a guy who is already a man playing against boys in the OHL doesn't seem like an ideal situation for him next year. Sounds like a lot of his game is "pro-ready".

It's too bad that a guy like this with his physical maturity can't play for the Moose.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My only negative of him and this is from watching him at the u18s is his speed in small areas was lacking but it was also on the big ice so that might come into play there. He was also in more of checking role on that team and was solid in that part

Reactions: hn777

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just like I said in a previous post, when I see this picture I sorta think "did we just draft broken Matt Hardy" hahaha

1688050303754.png
1688050303754.png
1688050303754.png

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah, IDK about the intangibles but was interested in Moore as a scoring natural centre with great tools.

I get that a team needs McGroartys but it also needs centres -- and as we know, it ain't easy to get a 1C via trade.

Maybe just as Vegas invented the 4-way mediocre goalie platoon, the Jets can play with a top 6 made up entirely of wingers.

I can't work out if his physical maturity lies solely in the area of beardliness.
There are reports that just everything about him is mature.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

Thanks for this. Such a great contribution.

My superficial thoughts based on stat-watching: he scored at a ridiculous pace for a 17 year old, led his team in points by a wide-margin, and captained them to a playoff appearance. How many players have had that type of profile heading into their draft year? And how many of them don't end up as top 5 picks? I can't imagine there are too many. The Scholastic thing adds a whole other, impressive dimension to his maturity as well.

My one concern is that the physically mature players always look disproportionately better than their less mature peers. Once he makes it to the NHL, you hope that the closure of the gap in physical strength doesn't close all the other advantages he has too. It makes me think of guys like Zach Bogosian who just bullied kids in their draft years but had lower ceilings because they weren't going to grow much more.

We shall see but I really like this pick. Plenty of comments about him being nearly pro-ready.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure if this has already been posted, but here's the beardy on BarDown from The Athletic's 1st-round review:

18. Winnipeg Jets: Colby Barlow, LW, OWEN SOUND (OHL)

February 14, 2005 | 6′ 0″ | 195 pounds

Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Player comparable: Jason Zucker

Background: Barlow was one of the top-scoring and shot-generating forwards in the OHL this season. He scored 30 goals in 59 games as a 16-year-old in the OHL. He was a member of Canada’s Hlinka Gretzky team, where he played a big role and scored five points in five games despite no power-play time. He was the eighth pick in his OHL Draft.

Analysis: Barlow is a well-rounded winger. He is a strong skater who can transport pucks through the neutral zone. He’s a hard-working forward who has some physicality, can kill penalties, and is quite physically advanced for his age. Offensively he has excellent stick skills and a great shot. He’s a threat to score off the rush and from a standstill with his one-timer. Barlow’s playmaking isn’t his selling point, but it’s good enough, especially with how skilled he is at creating scoring opportunities for himself. He projects as a top six wing who can play on both special teams in the NHL.

Thoughts on the pick: Barlow is a very good all-around winger who plays hard, has good pace and is a premium goal scorer. He may not be the most dynamic player ever, but the Jets have drafted dynamic lately and Barlow can be a top six wing in the NHL. They needed someone like him. That he’s Canadian doesn’t hurt either for an organization that has seen a lot of talent leave Winnipeg lately.

Reactions: John Agar and hn777

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
My only negative of him and this is from watching him at the u18s is his speed in small areas was lacking but it was also on the big ice so that might come into play there. He was also in more of checking role on that team and was solid in that part

I heard last night that he was dealing with a hip flexor injury during the U18s and basically was gutting it out at that tourney for Canada.

That being said, I think you are onto something with the small area bursts, but I was impressed in the bits of video I watched with his top end speed and when he gets going he plays very downhill.

Love this pick. Makes so much sense for the current state of our collection of prospects.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad