Prospect Info: Colby Barlow LW(18th overall)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am obviously a fan of the pick. I want skilled players that compete harder, play a heavier game, and are tougher to play against in the mix. This kid is my type of player and like McGroatry the two of them will drive the team and lead by example when it’s their core’s time.

17 year old captain in the OHL which is really rare and his coach loves him.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Fantastic pick. Guy will score 40 in the NHL someday mark my words
He may be the first Jet captain to be handed the Stanley Cup one day (or am I getting ahead of myself)?

Regardless, quite pleased. Sportsnet had him at ninth.

If you put Perfetti and Barlow next to each other, you would never guess Perfetti is 3 years older..
He looks like Perfetti’s dad.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am liking the diversity in forward talent we are starting to build.

We have the cerebral two way playmaker in Cole
We have the gritty jack of all trades guy in McGroarty.
We have the speedy Lambert
We have the rugged smart shooter in Barlow
We have a cerbral finisher in Lucious

We are starting to collect players with more dimensions to their games.

Add in some young guys like Vilardi and Kupri, Barron, Ville and Snerg and I like the next wave provided Cole and Gabe and convert to C.

Probably need a couple more impact dmen though. Maybe we get some as part of the next few trades.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I guess I'm in the vast minority who wasn't exactly thrilled at this choice (I would have gone with Moore), but Barlow isn't a bad pick by any means.

Considering I had Harkins pegged for the draft pick spent on Roslovic just proves I don't know shit :laugh:

I guess we'll be icing a roster full of W and LD down the line? :laugh:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
At first, I was slightly disappointed we didn't get a centre. But honestly, even centres drafted at 18 invariably turn out to be wingers anyway. I'm definitely happy with the piçk. But I will definitely be following Oliver's trajectory. My layman feeling is he might of been the better pick if he's comparable in ability but in the C position. But I'm also sick and tired of players wanting to leave Winnipeg

At this point I would take a "pretty good" nhl player who truly wants to be a Jet in any position over a "great" player who will seek out greener pastures

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I guess I'm in the vast minority who wasn't exactly thrilled at this choice (I would have gone with Moore), but Barlow isn't a bad pick by any means.

Considering I had Harkins pegged for the draft pick spent on Roslovic just proves I don't know shit :laugh:

We got salomonnson and I think they like Lundmark but we Def could use some rhd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
This is a steal!!! The Black Book, the NHL Draft bible had him at 6 really!

One of these days I’m gonna purchase the Black Book! Great news to hear.

Absolutely awesome stuff to hear as I know nothing about this draft outside of Bedard.
Good pick. Has some real good finishing skill and he's another scholastic award winner to boot. Fits the profile.

Always love getting a scholastic player in the first round. Feel like it bodes well.
I am obviously a fan of the pick. I want skilled players that compete harder, play a heavier game, and are tougher to play against in the mix. This kid is my type of player and like McGroatry the two of them will drive the team and lead by example when it’s their core’s time.

17 year old captain in the OHL which is really rare and his coach loves him.

Awesome to hear!

Based on what you guys are saying, this is a phenomenal pick and I can’t be more thrilled. Future seems to be in good hands despite our current team and on ice product.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Nice post on reddit:

Darthlorddonkey
MTL - NHL

Was waiting for this pick. Absolutely love Barlow. Full disclosure, I was raised in Owen Sound so I have a soft spot for Attack players (shout out Suzuki). Barlow has an absolutely elite shot, and looks like a man (literally) amongst boys in the OHL.
His balance and ability to get powerful shots off from all angles and all areas on the ice is truly amongst the best in the CHL. I'm by no means a scout, but behind Bedard, nobody's shooting ability impressed me more in my limited (emphasis on limited) scouting of the top round guys.
On top of that, I know a lot of people in the community who have nothing but good things to say about him. Besides everything on the ice, he also won CHL Scholastic Player of Year, and was very well regarded by all teachers and bucks the trend of the dumb hockey player. He was also named captain of the Attack at 17, not even Suzuki did that.
Looking at just Attack players, since 2000, only Bobby Ryan and Nick Suzuki have made me as excited as Barlow during their time with the Attack as they transition to the pros. I think he can translate really well with the way he plays into the NHL, and can play a solid middle 6 role, and be a great PP weapon.
When the Panthers pick seemed like it would be around this area, I had hopes the Canadiens could somehow land him as our second 1st round pick. Obviously that didn't happen, so now I will have a soft spot for Winnipeg, and hope he kills it for y'all (or you can trade him to the Habs like Vegas did with Suzuki, that'd be dope).
I'm obviously biased and allow my Attack fandom to interfere with fair judgment, but I'm stoked to see him transition to the pros and think he can be a really good NHLer.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
At first, I was slightly disappointed we didn't get a centre. But honestly, even centres drafted at 18 invariably turn out to be wingers anyway. I'm definitely happy with the piçk. But I will definitely be following Oliver's trajectory. My layman feeling is he might of been the better pick if he's comparable in ability but in the C position. But I'm also sick and tired of players wanting to leave Winnipeg

At this point I would take a "pretty good" nhl player who truly wants to be a Jet in any position over a "great" player who will seek out greener pastures
My hope is that he ends up like Lambert where he evolves into a C... still this lineup looks nice (excluding trade returns for Scheif and Helle...)

Connor-Vilardi-Ehlers
Perfetti-Lambert-Chibrikov
Barron-Lowry-Kupari
Nino-McGro-Iafallo
Barlow-Apples

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am liking the diversity in forward talent we are starting to build.

We have the cerebral two way playmaker in Cole
We have the gritty jack of all trades guy in McGroarty.
We have the speedy Lambert
We have the rugged smart shooter in Barlow
We have a cerbral finisher in Lucious

We are starting to collect players with more dimensions to their games.

Add in some young guys like Vilardi and Kupri, Barron, Ville and Snerg and I like the next wave provided Cole and Gabe and convert to C.

Probably need a couple more impact dmen though. Maybe we get some as part of the next few trades.
We're gonna ice 4F and 1D lol

Love the pick. Was hoping ASP fell to us, but this will do

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2 high character guys with our 1st picks the last 2 years, leaders. I like the pick and dude sounds excited to be a Jet, nobody gonna sound as excited as rutger was, dude just Mr personality but Colby Barlow seemed excited in his video there.

Think you need dudes like Rutger and Colby in your room. And it helps when they have goal scoring ability too

I thought they would have taken Moore but wonder if this is BPA or BPA who has more intangibles that the Jets lack and Canadian vs American born

Barlow is Canadian

In the consolidated rankings, Moore was 9, Barlow 12. Both way better than 18. Moore has the advantage of being a C. Barlow seems to have intangibles that may be worth more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You aren't totally alone. I was paying attention to C and RHD only. Also wanted Moore.
But with what I am hearing about Barlow I have come around. Smart, high compete, hard to play against guys who might actually be happy in Wpg will be worth more than their positions imply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad