Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Sakic is a magician, it's kind of crazy how good of a GM he is. Gets two high picks for Newhook and then uses one of them to get Colton who is probably better than Newhook.
People seem to forget that Sakic isn't the GM anymore, although he might be heavily involved still with the trades.

Come on guys, don't compare Newhook and Colton. Newhook is a 22 years old player with much more offensive potential than Colton lol.
Potential simply means: "Ain't happened yet, might never happen".

Reactions: Wats

landstuhltaylor

Feb 2, 2009
Certainly possible that Newhook breaks out, but I'd say the odds are better that he does not. Either way, good move for the Avs. These moves fit their current needs better than Newhook would have.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Kind of but they also doing what we did . They are mortgaging their future going all in to win. They werent good enough to repeat and blamed injuries. Ironically we were much more injured when they stopped us from a 3peat. They basically swapped Newhook for Colton. It is pretty much an even swap on that one. Newhook has more potential and Colton is a proven 3rd liner with top 6 flashes. I think they wanted guys like Colton to win now over Newhook.
They basically moved Newhook for Colton Fairbrother and a 1st... They killed it

Reactions: Wats

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
They basically moved Newhook for Colton Fairbrother and a 1st... They killed it
I agree . I do not follow the AVS but is nuke coming back? If not there is the money to sign colton long term.

People seem to forget that Sakic isn't the GM anymore, although he might be heavily involved still with the trades.

Potential simply means: "Ain't happened yet, might never happen".
Colton is kind of in the same boat except is four years older. He is a good bottom 6 player that shows some flashes of top 6. He has top 6 shot, top 6 speed, but his game is more suited for the bottom 6. He will work hard and give you his all. You guys will enjoy him but I hope you don't win the cup next year because TB is going for another. JBB has some big move up his sleeve. Sakic if he is still your gm, has had a hell of an offseason so far.

Reactions: T REX

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Newhook has more upside but Colton is a much, much better fit than Newhook for the Avs. The Avs can't afford to wait for Newy to reach his potential. They are in a win-now mode. That's why this swap is so great for the Avs. Newy now has time to develop on the Habs. Although I think the Habs overpaid it is still a good trade for both teams.

With that said I don't think anybody could argue that turning Newy into a 1st round pick, Colton and a prospect wasn't a great move by CMac.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The Avs are an embarrassment of riches. It'd be incredible to be a fan of a model organization like that. Congrats Avs fans.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
It’s funny to me that some posters dont understand how good Colorado‘s pro scouts have been. Take a look at their trades in the last three years. NY fans told us there’s NO WAY Devon Toews is a first pairing defenseman when Avs posters were penciling him next to Makar. Dallas fans lol’d at the Avs picking up Nuke. Toronto fans were singing the praises of Barrie while saying Kerfoot was a defensive stud and Kadri was nothing but a third liner behind JT. Some Washington fans told the Avs fans Bura had a slow release and don’t expect much. Habs fans told us Lehk was a glorified 3rd liner.

While each one of those players aren’t perfect - they excelled or broke out in the Avs system. The pro scouts have been possibly the best the NHL. They deserve every bit of grace

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
CMAC making all the logical moves.
It’s funny to me that some posters dont understand how good Colorado‘s pro scouts have been. Take a look at their trades in the last three years. NY fans told us there’s NO WAY Devon Toews is a first pairing defenseman when Avs posters were penciling him next to Makar. Dallas fans lol’d at the Avs picking up Nuke. Toronto fans were singing the praises of Barrie while saying Kerfoot was a defensive stud and Kadri was nothing but a third liner behind JT. Some Washington fans told the Avs fans Bura had a slow release and don’t expect much. Habs fans told us Lehk was a glorified 3rd liner.

While each one of those players aren’t perfect - they excelled or broke out in the Avs system. The pro scouts have been possibly the best the NHL. They deserve every bit of grace

And Lars Eller to a lessor extent. Cap fans mostly said he was done but he had some left in the tank.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Surprised Tampa didn’t ask for more. Colorado doing smart things as usual. Colton and RyJo are definitely on my radar as late-round fantasy picks.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Because they would be lol. Newhook isn't even a decent bottom sixer at this point.

I didn't get to watch Newhook play at all this year but isn't a bit early to categorize a player after 2 seasons?

Sophomore slump is a a real thing on top of having a reduced summer after a cup win

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016

Attachments

• 4B8A9E4B-E658-4236-951F-6BC121692EC4.jpeg
    4B8A9E4B-E658-4236-951F-6BC121692EC4.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Got to wonder if Tampa is going to fill those bottom 6 vacancies with ELC or cheap standard 1 year contracts.

Players like Barre-Boulet, Goncalves, Balcers ~ RFA*, Koepke, Fortier, Finley and Groshev could get a look next season on the bottom 6.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, and? What did you not understand about my post about one being a 22 y old potential future top six and the other a 26 bottom 6?
And what do you not understand about how bad he’s been by most Avs fans who have watched him play for 2 years every game?

And he somehow got worse stats in Year 2 versus year 1. At best he stayed stagnant in year 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad