Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Like the move for the AVS. Colton is better than Newhook on the role given. Avs sacrifices upside there but theres one year shy to not getting even a 1st round pick for Newhook and repeat errors from the past.

Where the file is mindblowing is in Montreal where the media has reported the Dvorak file hurt the club bad now and looks eben uglier... and they repeat the same move the day after this report.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Seems fair. Wonder what Byram and Colton will get as RFAs. Colorado will have around 8 mil in cap left (I'm guessing) after those 2 are signed, but they have to sign like 7 more players after that lol. A real roster turn around from a depth perspective. Also an issue with Landeskog, because if he comes back next year you want to sign guys, but not with term. What they do with their bottom 6 should be fascinating.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Colorado still has two 1st rounders. Gives them some nice options. I suspect they keep one of them (as they need to add prospects) and use the 2nd one as part of another trade or maybe move down to add more picks, stock up their bare shelves, etc.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Why does draft position matter after playing two years in the NHL? He’s not a prospect anymore. He’s shown he’s a tough fit in the NHL because he struggles at top six minutes and isn’t physical or defensively talented enough for bottom six minutes. He’s frustrating to watch. He often misses the net by a country mile. And even when he scores it’s because of someone else’s great play or a goalie mistake.

Newhook is not worth more than Colton.
Uhh. It’s not a positive a prospect is still playing in the AHL instead of getting a roster spot like Newhook…

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Uhh. It’s not a positive a prospect is still playing in the AHL instead of getting a roster spot like Newhook…
All my point was is that he shouldn't be afforded the blind optimism people put towards prospects after two years. He's still young, yes, but he's also not shown much either. Benefit of the doubt diminishes by the season.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Masterfully handled by MacFarland. Newhook sucked on the Avs no matter where he played. Upgrading to Colton and getting an extra 1st is wonderful.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Decent return for TB. Avs just got better. Good trade, really.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Added this for you. We added a #3C while trading a center/winger that have a hard time playing in the bottom 6. Newhook get tossed around along the boards way too easily which was a problem in the playoffs. As I said we need legit top 6 or bottom 6 player not someone that's still searching himself. Montreal is a good place for Newhook since they don't have the urgency to win a cup and could develop well in time.
Colton will go hard is more of a bottom 6 guy that shows flashes of top 6 potential. He is fast, plays solid north/south game, and has a good shot.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Avs always pull off unreal outta the blue trades
Kind of but they also doing what we did . They are mortgaging their future going all in to win. They werent good enough to repeat and blamed injuries. Ironically we were much more injured when they stopped us from a 3peat. They basically swapped Newhook for Colton. It is pretty much an even swap on that one. Newhook has more potential and Colton is a proven 3rd liner with top 6 flashes. I think they wanted guys like Colton to win now over Newhook.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
This is a great trade for Colorado, I was really hoping we could find a way to land Colton

Avs filling out their support pieces pretty well, I think they're on track to being the best team in the West once again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad