Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
And what do you not understand about how bad he’s been by most Avs fans who have watched him play for 2 years every game?

And he somehow got worse stats in Year 2 versus year 1. At best he stayed stagnant in year 2.
Sophomore slump is a real thing.

Many players go through that and end up good players.

Saying Ross Colton has more potential than Newhook means that talent evaluation is problematic.

Many Avs fan also say that Newhook was not ready to hold 2nd line duties on a contender but also think he has top 6 potential still at 22, which makes sense.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If Avs believed in Newhook: his character and his potential, why did Avs trade him in the first place for nothing, but draft picks?
You think the Habs didn't not believe in Lekhonen when they traded him? Habs knew very well how much a positive he wa son the ice but they got an offer that was too good to say no. Same thing for the Avs who are in win now mode and don't have time to develop young players

Reactions: pth2

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Sophomore slump is a real thing.

Many players go through that and end up good players.

Saying Ross Colton has more potential than Newhook means that talent evaluation is problematic.

Many Avs fan also say that Newhook was not ready to hold 2nd line duties on a contender but also think he has top 6 potential still at 22, which makes sense.
No one said Colton has more potential. Absolutely no one… what Avs fans are saying and have been saying is that Newhook may not reach his potential. Colton in his current form is superior to what Newhook is in his current form. Newhook hasn’t shown any flashes of living up to his draft position.

Reactions: AvsCOL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You think the Habs didn't not believe in Lekhonen when they traded him? Habs knew very well how much a positive he wa son the ice but they got an offer that was too good to say no. Same thing for the Avs who are in win now mode and don't have time to develop young players
The Habs started a rebuild under Hughes and got great assets for Leky from a contender. Avs gave up on Newhook and tried to get any value from him. That is a significant difference here, again I really hope he works out for you lot because he's a good lad with some potential, but he as a player was decreasing. Personally speaking, I would never go after a player whose form and stock are decreasing over multiple seasons except at a bare minimum price tag (like Avs did with Nuke). Montreal paid a premium for the same type of player.

Reactions: josra33

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I came into this thread expecting to be surprised at the number of people overrating Ross Colton, and I leave flabbergasted at the number of people who don't know who the General Manager of the Colorado Avalanche is.
This.

When the Newhook trade happened the takes and "scouting reports" seemed awful, mostly buzz words and generalities. The fact some Avs fans don't even know who their GM is now makes sense.

I also get a kick out of fans being so enamored with trading a recent #16 for a 31 and 37. Logical fan would call this a failure of drafting or development, hardly a monumental success to have to move on so quick from a high draft pick.

Colton move is a great one, they are better today with Colton in and Newhook out for sure, which makes sense for a win now team. Doesn't mean the handling of Newhook is a win.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
They were rumors at the deadline that Tampa Bay was really interested in Edmundson but had no more assets to give.

Now watch Colton go for #31 and #37 and then Tampa Bay trading those picks for Edmundson at 50%.

Close the loop
Edmundson at 50% and #110 for #37 wouldn't be a bad idea for either team.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I also get a kick out of fans being so enamored with trading a recent #16 for a 31 and 37. Logical fan would call this a failure of drafting or development, hardly a monumental success to have to move on so quick from a high draft pick.
Part of the context on this is that the Avs have had a history of holding on to 1st rounders who weren't working out up until the point where they had no residual value (Jost, Kaut, Siemens, Hishon).

Avs fans would be the first to agree that the team's drafting and development has largely been ass outside of the consistent hits on top-10 selections, although the case of Newhook didn't seem particularly mishandled to me. Just not the best fit at this current time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This.

When the Newhook trade happened the takes and "scouting reports" seemed awful, mostly buzz words and generalities. The fact some Avs fans don't even know who their GM is now makes sense.

Colton move is a great one, they are better today with Colton in and Newhook out for sure, which makes sense for a win now team. Doesn't mean the handling of Newhook is a win.

It's not nearly as big of a failure as drafting and then losing out on a 3rd overall pick like Kotkaniemi, but absolutely it would have been better if Newhook turned into a stud 2C for us on a ELC.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
This.

Avs fans know we can’t draft outside of the top 10. Our track record speaks for itself.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'm guessing he wanted more than Tampa was ready to pay?
Colton is a decent option for the Avs, but similarily with Johansen, I doubt their fans will be satisfied come next season.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Not much of an upgrade.

On Newhook? Lol… you know there’s more than point totals right? Might want to check the book on Colton. His forechecking and hitting numbers are sky high, his shot creation and chance creation is off the charts too. This was great business and a clear upgrade on a contender, Newhook doesn’t have any cup winning goals under his belt either.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
On Newhook? Lol… you know there’s more than point totals right? Might want to check the book on Colton. His forechecking and hitting numbers are sky high, his shot creation and chance creation is off the charts too. This was great business and a clear upgrade on a contender, Newhook doesn’t have any cup winning goals under his belt either.

I don't think he's supposed to be an upgrade from Newhook but rather a replacement for Compher.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I understand the cap issues for the Lightning and Colton isn’t the kind of player the Bolts can afford to overpay, but contractual issues aside I’m neither happy to see him go nor happy with the return.

It’s hard to see how anybody could argue that this isn’t a great move for the Avs. He’s easily worth a 2nd at his current level of play and any upside he might reach in an expanded role is simply a bonus.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Not only Newhook, the entire forward group is still lacking.
Newhook is still young enough to become a legit top-6 option; Colton although very good for the reasons you outlined doesn't have top-6 upside.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Colton pretty much does it all, just feels like there's another level he can get to offensively. Nice trade for Colorado.

Reactions: shadow1

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Not only Newhook, the entire forward group is still lacking.
Newhook is still young enough to become a legit top-6 option; Colton although very good for the reasons you outlined doesn't have top-6 upside.
TBF we were told the same thing about Lehkonen who had a career high of 31 points prior to joining the avs. He got top 6 duty and put up 51 points in 64 games.

Avs love versatile players and with Landy out for the year I could see Colton getting a chance to be a lite version of that on Mack's LW at times, and getting career highs. He may not be a prototypical top 6 player but Bednar loves blending the lines, so he will get a chance once injuriy issues hit period 1, into game 1.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like this for both teams.

Colton is a very good player and a big loss for Tampa, but they have proven they know what they are doing with draft picks, I have full confidence they will draft a good player with that pick.

I wonder who they will turn to in order to fill out the holes in their roster.

Colton is gone, Killorn looks to be gone, so does Perry.

They are going to have a different look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad