Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
No one said Colton has more potential. Absolutely no one… what Avs fans are saying and have been saying is that Newhook may not reach his potential. Colton in his current form is superior to what Newhook is in his current form. Newhook hasn’t shown any flashes of living up to his draft position.
This is a fair post. Colton is a fan favorite because he gets to the corners and makes it tough on the opposing team. He is relentless. He will be missed

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
It's not nearly as big of a failure as drafting and then losing out on a 3rd overall pick like Kotkaniemi, but absolutely it would have been better if Newhook turned into a stud 2C for us on a ELC.
Don't get me started on KK! Habs have been terrible at drafting and dev, which is why Newhook for a few pics we would blow, and to be fair most players in those slots don't account to much, is a good deal.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Colton pretty much does it all, just feels like there's another level he can get to offensively. Nice trade for Colorado.
I don’t think he necessarily has another level in him offensively, but I do think he has the potential to be effective as a complementary player in the top six, which would in turn lead to a sizable increase in production due to a combination of increased minutes and better linemates. I don’t see him ever developing into the kind of player who can drive the offense on his line, for instance, but he could certainly benefit from playing with better players than the likes of Maroon, Bellemare, and Jeannot.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
wow Hughes looks like a idiot now.
From a MTL perspective, this trade is a nothingburger. If you feel that the Avs stole Colton, that is an indictment on JBB. Has nothing to do with Hughes, Colton is as bad a fit for MTL as he is a good fit for COL.

The Newhook for pics trade will be judged on how well Newhook develops, and there doesn't have to be a loser, this isn't zero sum. If Newhook ends up being a productive top 9 player, that is a win for MTL. If the picks gained are traded for players that help the Avs win a Cup, that's a win for the Avs.

Are you following how this works? I can build out other scenarios for you if you are struggling with the logic on a trade like this.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
From a MTL perspective, this trade is a nothingburger. If you feel that the Avs stole Colton, that is an indictment on JBB. Has nothing to do with Hughes, Colton is as bad a fit for MTL as he is a good fit for COL.

The Newhook for pics trade will be judged on how well Newhook develops, and there doesn't have to be a loser, this isn't zero sum. If Newhook ends up being a productive top 9 player, that is a win for MTL. If the picks gained are traded for players that help the Avs win a Cup, that's a win for the Avs.

Are you following how this works? I can build out other scenarios for you if you are struggling with the logic on a trade like this.
Just pissed he traded thoses picks for a 3rd liner.
But i do understand your logic.

In a deep draft like this one, dosen't make sense to me.
Last year we got Beck #33+ Hutson #42
Would you trade These 2 for Newhook ?
Some great players could have fall in the draft like Cristall or But or Honzek or Sale.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Just pissed he traded thoses picks for a 3rd liner.
But i do understand your logic.

In a deep draft like this one, dosen't make sense to me.
Last year we got Beck #33+ Hutson #42
Would you trade These 2 for Newhook ?
Some great players could have fall in the draft like Cristall or But or Honzek or Sale.
He's 22, and will play top 6 in MTL, of course he was a third liner in COL, that team is stacked.

And yes I'd trade Beck for Newhook in an instant. Hutson I love, but he hasn't played a game and the likelihood of finding a gem like that is maybe once a decade, when was the last 30+pick that played out well for us? Subban, Max? Most of these prospects we are high on, fail, look back at second rounders, or even late firsts, there is like a 10% chance we draft a guy as good as where Newhook is today.

Reactions: Lockin17

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
TB will regret this.

tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Excellent deal.

Newhook brought 2 picks + prospect. Traded the lower pick to replace Compher as the 3C and flexible to play LW. He's currently better than Newhook (more upside) and adds size and toughness. Overall better fit the team.

Newhook

for

2023 - 1st (31st)
Colton
Fairbrother

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Eeesh, trade all your draft picks for Jeannot and then only get a 2nd rounder back for Colton? Manager/Genius Brisebois taking it on the chin with that exchange.
Even before that he already had a long history of poor choices with regard to free agent signings. BriseBois has made a few great moves but he’s also made some absolute stinkers, and at this point I think it’s fair to say he’s lost more than he’s won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad