Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As an Avs fan and Philly native, I feel pretty comfortable saying that most Avs fans are far more chill than you're experiencing. It's only been recently that I've found Flyers fans more welcoming of anyone that wasn't their own. There's a stigma that hasn't worn off there yet that I wouldn't be surprised if other fans still defensively recoiled over.

Very interested to see what Briere does with his plethora of draft assets. We might finally see Philly construct a team that can last for a little while under Danny versus the constant retooling of old.
Doesn't seem that different to what Hextall did to me. He accumulated a lot of picks and took on some cap dumps while also trying to make the playoffs.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Maybe his comments after the Nashville-Game (5-1 loss) was the last straw....

The AVS-locker has a certain culture: Winning a cup.

There is no room for players who just wants to collect their paychecks and call it a day....
What did he say?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Wow, Philly robbed.

Johanson back should've cost a 1st alone. How the hell did we add a 5th?
Philly's actual cost of buying him out this summer is 2,66 mill, iirc. That's not even close to 1st round value on cap-dumps (~6 mill). More like a late 2nd in a later year, probably.

Good trade by both teams, imo.
Briere got a shit-ton of value out of that Provorov three-way last summer, by being willing (and able) to eat bad contracts.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Philly's actual cost of buying him out this summer is 2,66 mill, iirc. That's not even close to 1st round value on cap-dumps (~6 mill). More like a late 2nd in a later year, probably.

Briere got a shit-ton of value out of that Provorov three-way last summer, by being willing (and able) to eat bad contracts.
But technically, they took on 5M, because you’re omitting the 1M they owe him this season still.
His cap dump value was probably somewhere in the top half of the 2nd round. Prob a 32-45 pick.

Evergreen

Buyout cap hit for Johansen is only $1.33m.

Reactions: Bender

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Buyout cap hit for Johansen is only $1.33m.
Yeah, but in these deals (and third-party retention at the deadline) it's the real dollars teams have in mind. If the buyout real dollars are 2,66 mill, then it'll be about 3,6 mill in actual cost, including the rest of this season, as @EdAVSfan pointed out above.

Evergreen

Yeah, but in these deals (and third-party retention at the deadline) it's the real dollars teams have in mind. If the buyout real dollars are 2,66 mill, then it'll be about 3,6 mill in actual cost, including the rest of this season, as @EdAVSfan pointed out above.
Why would the Flyers, a team with a virtually unlimited bank account, care about the real dollars when buying out Johansen?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why would the Flyers, a team with a virtually unlimited bank account, care about the real dollars when buying out Johansen?
Especially when they're moving out Walker's $3,350,000 salary for the rest of this season.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Rando question , (the spirit of it is my Kings fan friend is livid thinking the Flyers got a 1st for Walker)
What percentage of the return does everyone think is for Walker vs taking Johansen?

TYIA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Unusual situation developing with Johansen after being assigned to the AHL by Philadelphia.

- If Johansen is actually injured then the Flyers can’t assign him to the AHL.

- If Johansen is actually injured and Flyers were not made aware during the trade by Colorado they have the option of requesting the NHL void the trade. No guarantee the NHL would grant such a request and I’m skeptical the Flyers would even consider doing so. Theyre probably happy with the 1st included in the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad