Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He was fantastic and the best on our team at exiting the zone with the puck. I'd chalk it up to lack of chemistry.

I agree. Thought that timing was extremely curious. NHL may need to get involved if this somehow prevents buying him out.
Good to hear. Walker’s first game was a struggle for him, but he was paired with our new worst player, Jack Johnson. Our old worst player was traded to Philly.

Walker skates well but his D zone passing was off the mark. That should improve playing with Girard or getting more reps.

Byram struggled to carry JJ. Walker probably will as well. Johnson’s play has fallen off quite a bit this season. Walker got a tough assignment when he was traded to the Avs. Esp if we keep Girard with Manson.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Johansen played 63/63 games for the Avs, but after being waived he is now apparently injured, so he won't be playing for the Phantoms.

Tbh, I think this situation suits bought parties and won't prevent him being bought out in the summer. It's one thing to claim you have a minor injury that will keep you out of AHL action for the last five weeks of the season. But if you say it's still going on months later then independent medical exams are going to be ordered.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Technically it wouldn’t matter whether Colorado was aware or not. Teams can request a trade be voided if they discover on arrival the player is injured and the team wasn’t proactively notified and accepted the trade knowing that the player was arriving injured. Can also request a trade be voided if they were informed of the injury by the other team, but upon examining the player discover the injury is more severe than they were lead to believe.

Again. I don’t expect the Flyers would request the trade be voided, even if he’s actually injured. Posting this for educational purposes on how the rules work.

BTW, teams can similarly request that a successful Waiver claim be voided if their doctors determine the player is injured on arrival.
Re-read your first 2 sentences. How could it not matter if Colorado was aware or not??

In what way could the team trading the player 'proactively notify' the acquiring team if they weren't aware of the problem to begin with.

Imagine if you're trading a player from 1 city to another and the player doesn't have a NTC clause BUT it's a city he doesn't want to play in - so now he just starts saying he's hurt. What about stuff like depression and/or anxiety? A guy could be in the same situation and gets to his new team and cannot play because of these mental factors that were absolutely never disclosed to the team that traded him in the first place? How could a trade be voided under those circumstances? Why would the team trading this player be responsible for something like that.

I may be wrong but I believe that every single injury and medical consultation from players to team doctors is documented. I think the trade could be voided if there was evidence that the team trading the "injured" player knew of his condition but failed to disclose it to the acquiring team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Re-read your first 2 sentences. How could it not matter if Colorado was aware or not??

In what way could the team trading the player 'proactively notify' the acquiring team if they weren't aware of the problem to begin with.

Imagine if you're trading a player from 1 city to another and the player doesn't have a NTC clause BUT it's a city he doesn't want to play in - so now he just starts saying he's hurt. What about stuff like depression and/or anxiety? A guy could be in the same situation and gets to his new team and cannot play because of these mental factors that were absolutely never disclosed to the team that traded him in the first place? How could a trade be voided under those circumstances? Why would the team trading this player be responsible for something like that.

I may be wrong but I believe that every single injury and medical consultation from players to team doctors is documented. I think the trade could be voided if there was evidence that the team trading the "injured" player knew of his condition but failed to disclose it to the acquiring team.

Because all that matters is the new team discovered the player is injured only upon arrival, and was not previously made aware of the injury during the trade negotiations.

If the old team was aware of the injury and communicated that injury to the new team before the trade then the new team should have no grounds for voiding the trade based on the injury.

If the old team didn't communicate the injury for any reason--including being completely unaware of an injury--then the new team can request the league void the trade.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

There is a big difference between a player arriving with a let's say, broken leg and the player arriving saying he feels depressed.

Now, it's pretty obvious RyJo is exaggerating some minor injury most NHL players gets throughout the season because he doesnt want to play in the AHL (or trying to avoid buyout).

Reactions: Bender

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Because all that matters is the new team discovered the player is injured only upon arrival, and was not previously made aware of the injury during the trade negotiations.

If the old team was aware of the injury and communicated that injury to the new team before the trade then the new team should have no grounds for voiding the trade based on the injury.

If the old team didn't communicate the injury for any reason--including being completely unaware of an injury--then the new team can request the league void the trade.
So, if what you say is true - the Flyers could trade for McDavid this summer - and he suffers a career ending concussion getting off the plane in Philadelphia - they can just ask the league to void the trade?

Maybe they can ASK but I doubt they'd get it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So, if what you say is true - the Flyers could trade for McDavid this summer - and he suffers a career ending concussion getting off the plane in Philadelphia - they can just ask the league to void the trade?

Maybe they can ASK but I doubt they'd get it.
It's a previous injury.

So if he was getting off the plane on Philadelphia prior to the trade going down than yes, it could be voided. if he's injured after the trade on his way to Philly than that's just tough luck.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Shooting RyJo’s contract into the orange sun + getting a legitimate RHD they can play 18 minutes a game =

The Avs truly killed two birds with one stone in this trade.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
If I were RyJo I'd go down to the AHL and try my hardest to light it up. Prove to someone that you can still play. His last few games in Colorado it looked like he was finally trying. But it was too little way too late.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It's a previous injury.

So if he was getting off the plane on Philadelphia prior to the trade going down than yes, it could be voided. if he's injured after the trade on his way to Philly than that's just tough luck.
How would either side prove when the injury occurred?

Ie. for RyJo, who’s the say the injury didn’t happen AFTER he was traded?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
fwiw, looks like Johansen was never actually sent to the AHL, or the assignment was overturned. He's still listed on the Flyers NHL roster right now by NHL.com and other sites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad