Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hard to extricate exactly how much they paid for the Johansen dump in this...from what portion of that 1st round pick is the "value" for Walker here. Makes it a very curious trade to try to break down. Especially when combined with the Mittelstadt deal.

Basically:

Out:
-Bowen Byram.
-1st.

In:
-Mittelstadt.
-Walker.

Which doesn't look like very good value at all. But does the requisite Johansen cap dump close that value gulf? Have to think that carries at least a 2nd round pick sort of "value", ballpark? Hmmm...

In any case, the Avs are a better team for it. So that's the main thing from there perspective.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hard to extricate exactly how much they paid for the Johansen dump in this...from what portion of that 1st round pick is the "value" for Walker here. Makes it a very curious trade to try to break down. Especially when combined with the Mittelstadt deal.

Basically:

Out:
-Bowen Byram.
-1st.

In:
-Mittelstadt.
-Walker.

Which doesn't look like very good value at all. But does the requisite Johansen cap dump close that value gulf? Have to think that carries at least a 2nd round pick sort of "value", ballpark? Hmmm...

In any case, the Avs are a better team for it. So that's the main thing from there perspective.
Easiest to say Johansens cap dump value as salary since he’s been waived, so essentially $5 mil.

The cost to dump $5 mil, assuming it’s a pure cap dump (I.e. they don’t see him as a NHL player), is roughly an early 2nd + 3rd/4th.

I also think you’re underrated Middlestadts value, think you’ll find both sides like the trade for the Avs more than the Sabres.

Reactions: timw33

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Trying to do more ? Curious as to why Colorado dealt theor 2025 and not this year's 1st.
yea they still have a bit of cap and i think they'll do something with goaltending. wouldnt be shocked to see allen go to colorado. but it could be as simple as the avs like this years draft and want to keep the pick.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

Love the trade for philly. Walker was below average before the philly coaching made him above average, People seem to forget that. Philly staff made Sanheim a top pairing guy, ? Made Risto decent for gods sake. Nothing against Walker but wouldn't surprise me if he reverted back to the Kings Walker

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Love the trade for philly. Walker was below average before the philly coaching made him above average, People seem to forget that. Philly staff made Sanheim a top pairing guy, ? Made Risto decent for gods sake. Nothing against Walker but wouldn't surprise me if he reverted back to the Kings Walker
flyers coaching staff is far inferior to the Avs until proven otherwise

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Oof, that's a hefty price to pay to dump RyJo. Improves the Avs now for sure, but long-term that hurts.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Great asset management by the Flyers.

People calling it a steal for the Avs are probably the same kind of folks who laughed when the Habs received Monahan gift-wrapped with a 1st rounder for "our trouble".

Plus if it bombs, at least it will be entertaining to see the Torts-RyJo reunion tour :popcorn:
Johansen was waived almost immediately.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I get what Colorado is trying to do here…replace Byram with Walker and then upgrade at center with Mittelstadt over Johansen. Will it be all worth it? I’m not sure.

The issue is Mittelstadt doesn’t score much. He is a good playmaker but who will he have at wing in Colorado? Not much…

Not much my ass

Reactions: DingusKong

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
flyers coaching staff is far inferior to the Avs until proven otherwise
I love hearing about how successful the Flyers have been at salvaging players. A beacon of success and a true powerhouse in the NHL. I mean they have transformed Ristolainen into a decent #6. All the Avs have reclaimed are Nichushkin and Drouin. And have Jack Johnson as a positive contributor on a cup winning team. How truly impressive of the Flyers.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
O'Reilly was the last guy the Avs drafted outside the top 10 that has made a significant impact for them (way to early to tell on Calum Ritchie). Meanwhile, they've made a killing trading late 1sts and 2nds. Until this trend is bucked, I'll maintain it's the right move.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I love hearing about how successful the Flyers have been at salvaging players. A beacon of success and a true powerhouse in the NHL. I mean they have transformed Ristolainen into a decent #6. All the Avs have reclaimed are Nichushkin and Drouin. And have Jack Johnson as a positive contributor on a cup winning team. How truly impressive of the Flyers.
Nuke, Drouin, toews (unlocked the potential), lehkonen (unlocked potential), burakovsky, kadri (87 pt year), ryan graves. The Avs proscout and coaching staff is second to none.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Dumping RyJo was costly. Didn't think it would cost a 1st to dump RyJo and get Walker. That's steep.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Basically:

Out:
-Bowen Byram.
-1st.

In:
-Mittelstadt.
-Walker.

I don’t see the issue there. Walker is currently better than Byram and Mittlestadt is a significant upgrade at 2C.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is your fan base generally as insufferable as they show on HFBoards? I always thought of Colorado as a cool market with easy going fans.
Maybe don't take parting shots at the player you just traded away and the other fan base won't be hostile towards you? Just a thought? "Wouldn't be surprised he turns back into LA Walker".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad