Confirmed Trade: [COL/PHI] Sean Walker and 2026 5th round pick for 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected) and Ryan Johansen

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Unusual situation developing with Johansen after being assigned to the AHL by Philadelphia.

- If Johansen is actually injured then the Flyers can’t assign him to the AHL.

- If Johansen is actually injured and Flyers were not made aware during the trade by Colorado they have the option of requesting the NHL void the trade. No guarantee the NHL would grant such a request and I’m skeptical the Flyers would even consider doing so. Theyre probably happy with the 1st included in the deal.

...or the Flyers and (especially) Johansen are just setting up to LTIR Johansen permanently, which is in the best interest of absolutely everyone involved. Someone over on the Avs board predicted this would happen, actually.

Johansen missed zero games in Colorado due to injury -- and Briere was very open about the fact that he tried to trade Johansen himself, in turn -- so I highly doubt there is much of a case about Colorado hiding anything. If there is any controversy here, I imagine it's Johansen just hoping to avoid the AHL and ride his way into LTIR retirement. Guy is an absolute bum.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Unusual situation developing with Johansen after being assigned to the AHL by Philadelphia.

- If Johansen is actually injured and Flyers were not made aware during the trade by Colorado they have the option of requesting the NHL void the trade. No guarantee the NHL would grant such a request and I’m skeptical the Flyers would even consider doing so. Theyre probably happy with the 1st included in the deal.

I'm not sure Colorado would have been aware of this 'injury' either, as he played in the games leading up to the deadline and looked just fine.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm not sure Colorado would have been aware of this 'injury' either, as he played in the games leading up to the deadline and looked just fine.

Technically it wouldn’t matter whether Colorado was aware or not. Teams can request a trade be voided if they discover on arrival the player is injured and the team wasn’t proactively notified and accepted the trade knowing that the player was arriving injured. Can also request a trade be voided if they were informed of the injury by the other team, but upon examining the player discover the injury is more severe than they were lead to believe.

Again. I don’t expect the Flyers would request the trade be voided, even if he’s actually injured. Posting this for educational purposes on how the rules work.

BTW, teams can similarly request that a successful Waiver claim be voided if their doctors determine the player is injured on arrival.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

It's not Ottawa, so no one cares.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Technically it wouldn’t matter whether Colorado was aware or not. Teams can request a trade be voided if they discover on arrival the player is injured and the team wasn’t proactively notified and accepted the trade knowing that the player was arriving injured. Can also request a trade be voided if they were informed of the injury by the other team, but upon examining the player discover the injury is more severe than they were lead to believe.

Again. I don’t expect the Flyers would request the trade be voided, even if he’s actually injured. Posting this for educational purposes on how the rules work.
I'm guessing Captain Buffet magically discovered he was playing the entire season while badly injured after realizing the Flyers failed at trading him again (even at 50% retained). Guy is angling for his $10 million payout over the next 1.5 years without having to suffer the indignity of the AHL before retiring to wine country.

Reactions: Bender and Weast

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023

Yeah, I feel like this would only be an issue if Philly was planning to actually use him, but they’re probably ecstatic about this “sudden development”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Philly’s doctor discovered that his “not giving a f***” was due to his allergy to his hockey gear this entire time :laugh:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Manson has suffered some bad analytics recently when paired with Jack Johnson. Byram produced some bad analytics when paired with JJ. Sean Walker was, by some margin, the Avs worst player analytically in his first game. He was paired with Jack Johnson

Seems to be a theme here.

Hopefully Walker gets it together or gets a better partner. He was a bit sloppy with some bad passes in the Dzone vs Minnesota. His guy got the primary assist on the goal why Wild scored after beating Walker behind the net. It was Kaprizov. Who abused Makar and Toews a bit too that game.

Walker had a deeply negative corsi relative and badly out chanced on high danger scoring opportunities. Hopefully the Avs let Sean get some looks away from JJ and let JJ drag down someone else. Or the Avs play Jones more in place of the washed up Jack Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hopefully Walker gets it together or gets a better partner. He was a bit sloppy with some bad passes in the Dzone vs Minnesota. His guy got the primary assist on the goal why Wild scored after beating Walker behind the net. It was Kaprizov. Who abused Makar and Toews a bit too that game.
Man, you can tell someone is a bit emotional about a deal when they refer to a player having one so-so game (their first game on a new team with no prep time) as him needing to "get it together" lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Man, you can tell someone is a bit emotional about a deal when they refer to a player having one so-so game (their first game on a new team with no prep time) as him needing to "get it together" lol
More like disappointed with a showing that was more bad than good. But Walker had some moments. Nice skater and jumped some passing lanes well.

Walker Was sloppy passing the puck around his zone. Made a few off target passes that turned into turnovers. That’s probably function of playing with JJ and some nerves. He got an absolutely ragged dolled twice so physicality definitely isn’t his game. But it’s not Toews game either.

Hopefully walker plays a lot better in future games. He has the wheels to play Avs style hockey. I’d pair him with Girard for Ozone faceoffs.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
More like disappointed with a showing that was more bad than good. But Walker had some moments. Nice skater and jumped some passing lanes well.

Walker Was sloppy passing the puck around his zone. That’s probably function of playing with JJ and some nerves. He got an absolutely ragged dolled twice so physicality definitely isn’t his game. But it’s not Toews either.

Hopefully walker plays a lot better in future games.
He was also probably nervous and a bit confused as to where exactly the perfect positioning was or what the right play at the right time was, hasn't built up those system habits yet. I think he showed a lot of very promising traits and I think our coaching staff will get a ton out of him, as they always seem to do

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He was also probably nervous and a bit confused as to where exactly the perfect positioning was or what the right play at the right time was, hasn't built up those system habits yet. I think he showed a lot of very promising traits and I think our coaching staff will get a ton out of him, as they always seem to do
He’ll get a few practices with the boys and a very easy next game in Calgary, which will be their 3rd in 4 nights vs a rested Avs team. Flames gutted by the TDL too. Florida killed them today.

Walker should look more composed and comfortable as the season progresses. Hopefully we pair Walker with Girard in the Ozone some. Get Walker away from JJ and the anchor JJ is on this team. Jack Johnson is the defensive RyJo, but with a lot more effort at least… vs anything Ryan showed .

Walker skates great and that alone means Bednar can use him. He also read some neutral zone passing lanes well. Like Toews does. His first game was a mixed bag of good and bad moments. But he had some good ones.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I also liked that once he was feeling a little more comfortable later in the game, he was getting aggressive and roving deep into their zone/behind the net. He also balances our pairs really nicely, as far as handedness goes
Agree there too. Walker’s third period was his best. His 2nd period was a mess.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But I’d say this trade was 50/50. Half of it was about dumping RyJo.

I’d do the deal 10 times in 10 just to get rid of that guy. At least Avs have JJ as their very cheap number 6. Not a $4mm second line albatross. The Avs are getting what they paid for in JJ. I’ll remind myself of that next time his partner struggles to carry the pair.

That is a very tough assignment for a man’s first game.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
But I’d say that trade was 50/50. Half of it was about dumping RyJo.

I’d do the deal 10 times in 10 just to get rid of that guy. At least Avs have JJ as their very cheap number 6. Not a $4mm second line albatross. The Avs are getting what they paid for in JJ. I’ll remind myself of that next time his partner struggles to carry the pair.

That is a very tough assignment for a man’s first game.
Absolutely, it freed up extra money too because Walker makes a mil less than Byram this year.

But yeah, shooting Johansen into the sun was the #1 most important thing the team could have done this deadline, and to have gotten some actual good value and roster balance at the same time is gravy. Johansen was single handedly ruining the season for the Avs and we needed to get him the f*** out asap.

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Manson has suffered some bad analytics recently when paired with Jack Johnson. Byram produced some bad analytics when paired with JJ. Sean Walker was, by some margin, the Avs worst player analytically in his first game. He was paired with Jack Johnson

Seems to be a theme here.

Walker had a deeply negative corsi relative and badly out chanced on high danger scoring opportunities. Hopefully the Avs let Sean get some looks away from JJ and let JJ drag down someone else. Or the Avs play Jones more in place of the washed up Jack Johnson.
It’s been one game…relax. He also made quite a few nice plays, so I have a feeling he’ll be fine.

You gotta give these guys at least 10 games to learn the system and build chemistry to see what the Avs really have.

Anything else is a complete overreaction and shows that you’re borderline delusional.

Do you know how difficult it is to play well in your very first game after getting traded mid-season to a team with Stanley Cup aspirations that relies heavily on structure, chemistry, and knowing the system?!

The Avs don’t run their practices like day spas, like the Sabres apparently do, so I anticipate that they should get acclimated rather quickly, but making statements like these after one game is idiotic!

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It’s been one game…relax. He also made quite a few nice plays, so I have a feeling he’ll be fine.

You gotta give these guys at least 10 games to learn the system and build chemistry to see what the Avs really have.

Anything else is a complete overreaction and shows that you’re borderline delusional.

Do you know how difficult it is to play well in your very first game after getting traded mid-season to a team with Stanley Cup aspirations that relies heavily on structure, chemistry, and knowing the system?!

The Avs don’t run their practices like day spas, like the Sabres apparently do, so I anticipate that they should get acclimated rather quickly, but making statements like these after one game is idiotic!
It has been said quite a few times by new players in the past that it takes time to learn the Avs' system. Some get it pretty quick but most take at least 5-10 games. I am not concerned with Walker. He is a very high IQ dman. He will get it quite quickly IMO.

One poster said he made some bad passes out of the zone. One point on this: Not all players accelerate the same so there too it takes a few games to get use to.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I guess this was plan B after the RyJo + a 1st rnd pick for Tanev offer was declined by Craig Conroy.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

BTW, teams can similarly request that a successful Waiver claim be voided if their doctors determine the player is injured on arrival.
In theory, what would happen if the trade is voided? Well outside of the obvious of the trade reverting. Would the Avs be considered retroactively not cap compliant and lose a pick or pay a fine?

I have a hard time believing that the Avs could be found at fault if Johansen has been playing every game and hasn't notified the medical staff he was dealing with an injury. It would also set an odd precedent for future trades, especially if a player didn't want to be traded or didn't like the team he was traded to.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In theory, what would happen if the trade is voided? Well outside of the obvious of the trade reverting. Would the Avs be considered retroactively not cap compliant and lose a pick or pay a fine?

I have a hard time believing that the Avs could be found at fault if Johansen has been playing every game and hasn't notified the medical staff he was dealing with an injury. It would also set an odd precedent for future trades, especially if a player didn't want to be traded or didn't like the team he was traded to.

No idea how the NHL would resolve that scenario. It hasn't happened before to my knowledge.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If he faked the injury to avoid buyout or demotion, should have his contract nullified. Doubt any team would trust him.

RyJo likely never returning to the NHL after he waited until after he cleared waivers to announce this mysterious injury.

• Love
Reactions: Bender and FlyguyOX

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I guess this was plan B after the RyJo + a 1st rnd pick for Tanev offer was declined by Craig Conroy.
An an Avs fan.

1st + RyJo for Tanev or a 1st + RyJo for Walker feels about the same.

The greater goal was dumping RyJo. Getting a bottom pair RHD was achieved as the secondary aim.

We thought the Avs got RyJo for free but it turns out we didn’t. He was so bad, even at 50% he cost us a 1st to shoot his contract to the moon.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Walker Was sloppy passing the puck around his zone. Made a few off target passes that turned into turnovers. That’s probably function of playing with JJ and some nerves. He got an absolutely ragged dolled twice so physicality definitely isn’t his game. But it’s not Toews game either.

Hopefully walker plays a lot better in future games. He has the wheels to play Avs style hockey. I’d pair him with Girard for Ozone faceoffs.
He was fantastic and the best on our team at exiting the zone with the puck. I'd chalk it up to lack of chemistry.

If he faked the injury to avoid buyout or demotion, should have his contract nullified. Doubt any team would trust him.

RyJo likely never returning to the NHL after he waited until after he cleared waivers to announce this mysterious injury.
I agree. Thought that timing was extremely curious. NHL may need to get involved if this somehow prevents buying him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad