Proposal: COL / ANA / FLA

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If the 2020 UFA class thinks they are about to step into a free agent frenzy, they are sorely mistaken. I cannot think of many years worse than this summer to be a UFA. Flat cap that was unexpected, big escrow jump for the foreseeable future. It's going to be a rough and disappointing summer for a lot of these guys. But not a bad time to be a buyer given it won't be competitive.

There are going to be a lot of 1 and 2 year deals. This could be Colorado's shot at a Cup, short term deals for a contender with cap space.

Reactions: Richard88

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I didn't propose that, so don't jump down my throat. Some Duck fan did. And I said... sounds great. But his trade idea doesn't sound realistic to me either. Not as nonsensical as EJ and Byram for Manson, but a loss of a trade for the mighty ducks of Anaheim.

The Avs don't need Rakell. He'd be a middle six forward in Colorado. Very little PP time and none of it on the 1st PP unit that stays on the ice for like 1:40 seconds each PP (which bugs me but that's another topic for another time). Rakell playing JTs wing isn't a guy that gets you 65 points. He doesn't even get you 50 points. He gets 15 minutes of ice time per game and they make him kill PPs or whatnot like a bottom six forward. Someone else would use him in their top 6 and he'd get PP time. So they'd pay more for him than the Avs would. Factor in another team in worse shape with the cap and his contract helps team. Doesn't move the needle a bit for Colorado.
If you're referring to what Getz2none posted, no they did not suggest it. Avsfan09 suggested a bigger deal centered around Bryam, Getz2none just broke the trade value down. Jost is constantly thrown around by Avs fans, he's a player with little value; and it's not the first time Avs fans have tried to trade him for Rakell.

Also, based off your earlier comments in this thread you don't really know who Rakell is; so I'm taking everything you say about him with a grain of salt. You're better off not speaking up about a player when you don't know anything about them.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
There are going to be a lot of 1 and 2 year deals. This could be Colorado's shot at a Cup, short term deals for a contender with cap space.

A number of Teemu Selanne/Paul Kariya specials? That could be interesting, although those deals did not work out for anyone involved.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We'll find out when UFA starts. I do not foresee a big day one soiree of long term deals getting inked by all the top UFAs. I suspect the teams will be cautious and a few players will sign deals that don't blow away prior year deals in terms of AAV or term. But I'm guessing. We all are.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We'll find out when UFA starts. I do not foresee a big day one soiree of long term deals getting inked by all the top UFAs. I suspect the teams will be cautious and a few players will sign deals that don't blow away prior year deals in terms of AAV or term. But I'm guessing. We all are.

Agreed, I should have put I think there are going to be a lot of 1 and 2 year deals. It's impossible to predict, there could be teams that go out and just blow money on UFA's, there could be no one handing out big deals. It'll be interesting to see as a "neutral" observer (since I can basically guarantee Anaheim won't make a splash in FA this year).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Agreed, I should have put I think there are going to be a lot of 1 and 2 year deals. It's impossible to predict, there could be teams that go out and just blow money on UFA's, there could be no one handing out big deals. It'll be interesting to see as a "neutral" observer (since I can basically guarantee Anaheim won't make a splash in FA this year).
Long-term security could also be an important factor for some players, so there might be some willing to trade AAV for more term. Meaning that instead of many 1-2 year deals we could see more longer term deals but at lower cap hits than usual. It's all speculation at this point though.

Reactions: harv33173

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
See Chicago with Barker.

See LA with Schenn.

See Pittsburgh with Esposito.

You’re entering a competitive window in the West where you’re favorites. Prospects and picks will be both used because a cup is forever.

And Byram while a solid pick has at this time Girard, Graves and Cole ahead of him. Which is a Cup caliber LD make up.
this one actually made me laugh. He had next to zero value in that trade like everything else the poor Thashers got back for Hossa. That kid was a mess.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this one actually made me laugh. He had next to zero value in that trade like everything else the poor Thashers got back for Hossa. That kid was a mess.
how did he have next to zero value? he was just drafted a few months prior to the trade in round 1.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Long-term security could also be an important factor for some players, so there might be some willing to trade AAV for more term. Meaning that instead of many 1-2 year deals we could see more longer term deals but at lower cap hits than usual. It's all speculation at this point though.

True, it might depend on the age of the FA too. Younger UFA's have the luxury of signing a 1-2 year deal (if they feel they'll continue/improve at their production) while older guys may be the ones that want security, especially if there are implied deals to go on LTIRetirement. They may get a lower AAV but make it up on the back end where they'll not be playing in their late 30's.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This is complete revisionist BS. He fell hard, but he was still the Pens best prospect at that time.
His declining numbers in the Q from the age of 16 on is revisionist history? He was never the best or even close to the best player on his junior team is revisionist history? His laundry list of injuries is revisionist history? His fall from the best prospect in his age group to am late first rounder is revisionist history? There was plenty of talk in his draft year about his fall in draft rankings because of huge concerns from scouts. He was not a good prospect at the time of his trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
His declining numbers in the Q from the age of 16 on is revisionist history? He was never the best or even close to the best player on his junior team is revisionist history? His laundry list of injuries is revisionist history? His fall from the best prospect in his age group to am late first rounder is revisionist history? There was plenty of talk in his draft year about his fall in draft rankings because of huge concerns from scouts. He was not a good prospect at the time of his trade.

Yet Colorado fans are acting as if Timmins is a blue chip eh?

Esposito was the piece to get Hossa. He was the reason the Pens got that deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I didn't propose that, so don't jump down my throat. Some Duck fan did. And I said... sounds great. But his trade idea doesn't sound realistic to me either. Not as nonsensical as EJ and Byram for Manson, but a loss of a trade for the mighty ducks of Anaheim.

The Avs don't need Rakell. He'd be a middle six forward in Colorado. Very little PP time and none of it on the 1st PP unit that stays on the ice for like 1:40 seconds each PP (which bugs me but that's another topic for another time). Rakell playing JTs wing isn't a guy that gets you 65 points. He doesn't even get you 50 points. He gets 15 minutes of ice time per game and they make him kill PPs or whatnot like a bottom six forward. Someone else would use him in their top 6 and he'd get PP time. So they'd pay more for him than the Avs would. Factor in another team in worse shape with the cap and his contract helps team. Doesn't move the needle a bit for Colorado.
avs fan posted it, and your def under selling Rakell.
Also 2 mil over paid for 3 years is a pretty significant take.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad