Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I am a little annoyed we let our logjam at D get to this point.

Forcing guys to play in Laval because they're not waivers eligible is just as idiotic as rushing a player.

Loading up Laval and having promising young Dmen playing on the second/third pair down there with limited or no PP time is not a "solution" to the logjam, it's the consequence.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Forcing guys to play in Laval because they're not waivers eligible is just as idiotic as rushing a player.

Loading up Laval and having promising young Dmen playing on the second/third pair down there with limited or no PP time is not a "solution" to the logjam, it's the consequence.
Hughes has given every indication that they will play a guy where they think it makes the most sense for their development. If a guy comes to camp and shows he belongs then he'll make the team and a move will be made to clear the logjam. It makes little sense to be annoyed about it in May, at least wait until August.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Don't be annoyed. Be happy. Building a strong D takes time and it's affective if done right.

We should not be rushing guys to the NHL anyways. Especially Defense and Centers. There is nothing wrong with Reinbacher and Hutson playing AHL next year. Even if Hutson makes our NHL roster, it comes at the cost of Harris. Whip dee doo. Mailloux playing AHL for one more year is also not horrible. Lets not spoil them and teach them how to walk before they run.

What would you prefer? A shallow D pool and we only have Tinordi, Beauleau, and Mete. We pump them up and rush them to the NHL because our depth sucks?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Hughes has given every indication that they will play a guy where they think it makes the most sense for their development. If a guy comes to camp and shows he belongs then he'll make the team and a move will be made to clear the logjam. It makes little sense to be annoyed about it in May, at least wait until August.

Nah I think it's appropriate to identify issues before they come up actually.

And I simply don't believe him. This is what GMs always say and yet, no GM wants to lose a useful piece due to waivers.

Letting our prospect pool get this unbalanced isn't an August issue it's an issue we've been discussing for a couple years.

Don't be annoyed. Be happy. Building a strong D takes time and it's affective if done right.

We should not be rushing guys to the NHL anyways. Especially Defense and Centers. There is nothing wrong with Reinbacher and Hutson playing AHL next year. Even if Hutson makes our NHL roster, it comes at the cost of Harris. Whip dee doo.

What would you prefer? A shallow D pool and we only have Tinordi and Beauleau. We pump them up and rush them to the NHL because our depth sucks?

"Rushing" is subjective.

Some folks on here seem to think anything less than multiple AHL years is "rushing".

I just don't see how the no waivers guys are going to have a fair chance.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

The real question is “who will we trade this summer”? I’m thinking one on Matheson, Harris, Struble, or Baron.

Combining a D with Winnipeg’s 1st might be a good way to get another young C/LW to play on the 2 line.

Reactions: HabsQC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

And I simply don't believe him. This is what GMs always say and yet, no GM wants to lose a useful piece due to waivers.

Letting our prospect pool get this unbalanced isn't an August issue it's an issue we've been discussing for a couple years.

"Rushing" is subjective.

Some folks on here seem to think anything less than multiple AHL years is "rushing".

We are very far apart on this. I don't see any issues. Wait, the issues I do see is fans wanting to rush them faster. We are not blocking any stars bud. If they rise and push for a spot by earning it, we manage it. There are guys who can go up/down from Laval to Montreal next year.

We have very good problems. Problems you want vs not having. Imagine running with 3 goalies for most of the season and surviving from it? Impossible

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
We are very far apart on this. I don't see any issues. Wait, the issues I do see is fans wanting to rush them faster. We are not blocking any stars bud. If they rise and push for a spot by earning it, we manage it. There are guys who can go up/down from Laval to Montreal next year.

We have very good problems. Problems you want vs not having. Imagine running with 3 goalies for most of the season and surviving from it? Impossible

Yep. We are far apart indeed.

By the way, pointing out that the non waiver guys will probably not have a fair shot is not the same as "fans wanting to rush them faster".

We can disagree, but nothing I said indicates I want to rush our prospects. I am pointing out that the size of our logjam is unmanageable, and that inevitably some guys are going to be given responsibilities below their talent level.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think one has to be unreasonably optimistic about Montreal's D to think its gotten to that point.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Depends imo...

On a 1-2 year deal in the 3-4M$ range, he could be a good middle six depth veteran addition IF we aren't able to add a better/top 6 vet player.
Yeah but what does it accomplish?

I think both Ottawa and Detroit should be a cautionary tale about trying to win before being ready. They both signed UFAs. They both missed the playoffs anyway. They both have a lower draft pick than needed. Their core is still not ready yet and still need some major help and both of them are still not a prime market for big name UFAs like Stamkos and to make a trade you must have something to give and every god damn team will ask for their best kids.

Are Stutzle and Tkachuk bettter because they learned from Giroux? Are Seider and Edvinsson better because they learned from Chiarot or Petry? I mean we don't need 12 vets to surround the kids. We have Savard and Matheson on defense and it's plenty enough. We have Gallagher, Anderson, Armia and Dvorak and while i'd like to change Anderson for a better vets we are stuck with him for now. I did not like Gallagher atttitude in 2022-2023 but i think his attitude last year was much better he'S been a good vet precense for the kids. Armia too at the end of the season.

If we somehow can find a taker for either Dvorak or Anderson and sign Marchesseault for 2 years max then fine. But if we bring vets in vets must be going out before the season starts. We need to make room both on the payroll to sign Guhle and Slaf and in the lineup to bring in kids in the upcoming years. We can always get some vets like Pearson during the season if needs be there's always a couple of them avalaible.

Personally i'd wait for this group of kids to be able to make the playoffs on their own before helping them take the next step. Make sure thery are ready. Vets precense is very easy to acquire at any time. Ther's always a couple of overpaid vets on a 1 or 2 years deal avalaible for not much because they can't really help anymore but they can be there and be pro and keep the kids in check it's not a problem imo.

The 3 goalies situation never was a problem and i was adamant about it from day 1. It was only a problem for Allen. Sheltering Montembeault and Primeau for half a season never was a problem. It was a problem in the eyes of the media only. KH probably tried to trade Allen without retaining and had to admit defeat at the deadline and traded him while retaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: ML16

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

So far not a single player was forced to play in Laval simply because they were waiver eligible. So your annoyed at something that hasn't happened, and worse the most sensible time to address it is probably the draft and/or after FA when teams inevitably strike out on the guys they want and are looking for other options.

Half the logjam issue is that Hutson turned pro and played great in the final 2 NHL games. Should Hughes have cleared out some D before even knowing whether Hutson was going to turn pro or look NHL ready? Or whether Reinbacher was going to come over for that matter.

I said August not because that's the best time to do something but because that's when you will actually have an idea of what the roster will look like. There's nothing wrong with believing Hughes will need to make moves this offseason, but being annoyed that he let it "get to this point" when then point is your imaginerary vision of what the team will look like is because you aren't even willing to wait until the draft and FA to see what roster moves are getting made shows how unserious your opinion is.

Reactions: 417 and JoelWarlord

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think one has to be unreasonably optimistic about Montreal's D to think its gotten to that point.
I agree. I think both Mailloux and Reinbacher will play in the NHL. I'm sold on Hutson too. Guhle is already a good top 4. Xhekaj if he can keep his head on earth, focus on hockey and not listen to the fans will be a good 3rd pairing. The rest we'll see. Don't think any of the other guys is a sure bet.

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble or Harris

Engtrom is interesting. Same for Konyushkov. I'm not sold on Struble, Barron and Harris yet. The rest are AHL material imo. It is my opinion that Savard wont be in Montreal after next season. Matheson will probably be traded once Hutson and Mailloux are every day NHLers. Roy will replace him as the local player in the lineup.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I said August not because that's the best time to do something but because that's when you will actually have an idea of what the roster will look like. There's nothing wrong with believing Hughes will need to make moves this offseason, but being annoyed that he let it "get to this point" when then point is your imaginerary vision of what the team will look like is because you aren't even willing to wait until the draft and FA to see what roster moves are getting made shows how unserious your opinion is.

No need to be rude.

My "imaginary" vision of the what the team will look like is based on the current players under contract, and the glimpses we've seen of them. Your reaction is basically that we don't know anything and so we can't discuss until the team is set.

To me that's silly. This is a hockey forum to talk about the Habs, and I'm currently talking about the number of signed Dmen on the squad who look like they could compete for a spot this year.

I'm not claiming this is some terrible thing that is going to down the Habs rebuild. I literally said I'm a "little annoyed".

I don't think I'm unreasonably optimistic. People are mocking up lineups where Struble - Mailloux is a second pairing in Laval. To me, it's a shame if that happens.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
No need to be rude.

My "imaginary" vision of the what the team will look like is based on the current players under contract, and the glimpses we've seen of them. Your reaction is basically that we don't know anything and so we can't discuss until the team is set.

To me that's silly. This is a hockey forum to talk about the Habs, and I'm currently talking about the number of signed Dmen on the squad who look like they could compete for a spot this year.

I'm not claiming this is some terrible thing that is going to down the Habs rebuild. I literally said I'm a "little annoyed".

I don't think I'm unreasonably optimistic. People are mocking up lineups where Struble - Mailloux is a second pairing in Laval. To me, it's a shame if that happens.
I agree with you -- kind of.

I'm like you, I would rather them be more proactive and attempt to solve the situation sooner rather than later. I'm of the belief that because we're dealing with human beings and not robots/numbers on a chart, it's a lot easier in theory to say "Please don't be mad guys. Just play good and you'll make it! This is good for your development! Yes you deserve to be on the big club but we have no room, sorry!" and have guys automatically understand and not be a little miffed. I said it a couple of times this year on the board that I was not a fan of the three-goalie situation in this regard, and felt it hurt the players involved and potentially the team's reputation in the short term.

On the other hand, I've been a fan for too long to think all of these guys we have pencilled into these lineups are going to be as good as we expect or stick around. Doing it this way is a way of making sure the "cream rises to the top", so to speak, and the ones that compete and play the best will make it.... in theory. If it's a true meritocracy, this is a good thing. If not, well... it will probably breed some sort of resentment that needs to be dealt with later.

Reactions: Canadienna

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

If you think that's a shame if that happens, then I think you are being unrealistically optimistic.

Montreal had probably a bottom 5 D core in the NHL last season. Definitely bottom 10. The only players that demonstrated the ability to handle more than bottom pair minutes were Matheson, Guhle and Savard.

Logjam either implies that there's too much talent or that players who should be in the NHL wont be. Neither is the case. Outside of right after his first callup, Struble was not playing at an NHL caliber level. Mailloux still hasn't shown enough in the AHL to suggest he must be in the NHL.

Honestly, I wouldn't even have considered characterizing what Montreal has roster-wise on D as a logjam before Hutson and Reinbacher signed. There hasn't really been a logjam long enough for there to be an issue.

Now, if they do absolutely nothing this offseason then its a different story. But you have to project guys developing more quickly and better than most to think there's a logjam.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah but what does it accomplish?
- adding low cost/low term scoring depth, addressing a major area of need (secondary scoring)

I thought it was quite obvious :dunno:
I think both Ottawa and Detroit should be a cautionary tale about trying to win before being ready.
Detroit definitely didn't approach the season "trying to win". Yzerman was explicit both commentary & in his roster decisions that they weren't focused on POs at all cost.

Sens are a dumpster fire & fired their GM and coach mid-season... Not sure they are a relevant example of anything more than poor management

They both signed UFAs. They both missed the playoffs anyway.
Now list all the PO teams that signed UFAs :naughty:

UFAs are just one of a number of roster management levers used by all teams, regardless of where they are in the path to contention.

Chicago & NYR both signed UFAs last summer. Teams destined to the basement and cup contensers next year will sign UFAs this summer.

They both have a lower draft pick than needed. Their core is still not ready yet and still need some major help and both of them are still not a prime market for big name UFAs like Stamkos and to make a trade you must have something to give and every god damn team will ask for their best kids.
No idea what you are saying here?
Are Stutzle and Tkachuk bettter because they learned from Giroux? Are Seider and Edvinsson better because they learned from Chiarot or Petry?
More likely yes than no.
Dismissing the impact quality veterans have on young players reflects a lack of understanding of high performance sport & athlete development.

Heck, in just about every environment that involves humans collaborating to achieve something, the wisdom and support of "elders" in stewarding the next generation is present

I mean we don't need 12 vets to surround the kids. We have Savard and Matheson on defense and it's plenty enough. We have Gallagher, Anderson, Armia and Dvorak and while i'd like to change Anderson for a better vets we are stuck with him for now. I did not like Gallagher atttitude in 2022-2023 but i think his attitude last year was much better he'S been a good vet precense for the kids. Armia too at the end of the season.
Anderson, Dvorak, Gally & Armia were the secondary scoring we relied on this year... I think it's evident that any upgrade on that is a net benefit :dunno:

If we somehow can find a taker for either Dvorak or Anderson and sign Marchesseault for 2 years max then fine.
Weird...
Marchessault would cost close to double the cap hit Perron likely settles for, and likely double the term. All your previous arguments are exactly why a guy like Marchessault is exactly who we should not be targetting lol

But if we bring vets in vets must be going out before the season starts.
Agree here... Though not so much about ver in, vet out... Moreso that we should be finding a way to offload at least one of Anderson/Dvorak given their unreliable and low production

We need to make room both on the payroll to sign Guhle and Slaf and in the lineup to bring in kids in the upcoming years. We can always get some vets like Pearson during the season if needs be there's always a couple of them avalaible.
Cap room isn't an issue in general, and certainly 2yrs @ <4M won't have any impact on guhle/Slaf.

Targetting a Marchessault, on the other hand, could create that concern

Personally i'd wait for this group of kids to be able to make the playoffs on their own before helping them take the next step.
I fail to see how it would ever make sense for GM to forgo one of the levers for roster building all together... Makes no sense and frankly I don't think that has ever happened.

I could agree with not targetting a UFA Vet that would push a core young player out of the lineup, but as the Habs showed with Armia last fall, I don't think we have that concern here.

Make sure thery are ready. Vets precense is very easy to acquire at any time. Ther's always a couple of overpaid vets on a 1 or 2 years deal avalaible for not much because they can't really help anymore but they can be there and be pro and keep the kids in check it's not a problem imo.

Imo Perron is a fit moreso because of the fit of his skill set, career situation (assuming here that he'd sign knowing he's a mid 6 support role rather than a top 6/pp staple) and likely contract expectations.

His desire to play in Montreal, veteran experience & potential positive impact on our young forward core, are all factors that make the fit that much better.

I didn't suggest by my post that we should add him, or any vet, just for the sake of it. He just happens to represent a potentially strong fit for our current & short term needs.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No need to be rude.

Glimpses like the 2 games Hutson played right? So if your going to complain that Hughes shouldn't have let the situation get to this point it implies he should have done something either at the TDL before we knew Hutson would turn pro and look NHL ready or in the weeks after the season ended. Neither makes any sense.

If you had said we need to move a defenseman before the season starts I would've agreed with you. But that's not what you said, you said Hughes should have already made a move by now.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

That we have a lot of players knocking at the door of the NHL? That does not annoy me at all.

Not a shame if, for example, Xhekaj is better than Struble at camp, and Mailloux shows he needs a few more monthd to polish his defence.

I'd rather these guys be top-4 in Laval than 7th or 8th in Montreal. And who is to say that one or both won't possibly be better than Hutson or Reinbacher?

What is wrong with internal competition? Even Larry Robinson was not handed an NHL job until he earned it, nor PP time imm,ediately upon arrival. Is Hutson clearly better than Lapointe was? Mailloux better than Robinson? Reinbacher ahead of Savard?

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The speculation is pointless. They aren’t signing a top 6 forward. History shows us that. It doesn’t happen with this team. They’ll have to trade or develop that player. Montreal has never been a destination for big name ufa’s. Even just for Canadian teams, they probably sit 3rd or 4th as a destination. Maybe even 5th. He’ll even a French guy Giroux signed with bloody Ottawa over coming here.
You mean the same Giroux that grew up in Ontario, including going to school in Ottawa? That's his home, not Montreal. It's not like Ottawa lacks French either; it's a bilingual city.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
You mean the same Giroux that grew up in Ontario, including going to school in Ottawa? That's his home, not Montreal. It's not like Ottawa lacks French either; it's a bilingual city.
Ok. Regardless. He was still an Ufa. Still French. And Ottawa sucks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

"Rushing" is subjective.

Our D, and the issues here, are very good and pleasant problems....the D and the draft capital will get used this and next year, to create some balanced scoring.......
Trust the process. Unfortunately is is very hard to be patient........

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dvorak, Strubble, Harris for Hayton, '25 2nd
------------------------
Col 2nd, RHP for N Roy
--------------------------
Anderson, Barron for Pionk
----------------------------
Sign Perron, [email protected]/per

Healthy ish, this group should be in playoff picture all year.

Slaf Suzuki CC
Newhook Dach Perron
J. Roy N.Roy Hayton
Armia Evans Gally
Pez (Heineman, Farrell)

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Pionk
Hutson Savard
Kovacevic (Reinbacher, Mailloux)

Monty
Primeau

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

"Rushing" is subjective.

Trading players before they have established any value is just as ludicrous as playing them Laval because they are waiver exempt.

That's a sure fire way to get little in return for your prospects adjust piss poor asset management.

Yes, there is a bit of a log jam and a bit of a conundrum in the process, but, not all prospects will pan out as 1st pairing Ds with PP and PK upside.

Just look at Barron who had been sold as being pried from COL for Lehkonen, with a lot of resistance from the Avalanche GM.

How long has this gem been simmering in the skillet with little or no results in terms of consistency?

We were afraid Harris would finish his University to sign with a team of his choice once he finished his schooling because he was allegedly that good. Yet, while a serviceable depth NHL D, I think that serious top-4 was somewhat exaggerated. Probably the best post game interview, though...

Reinbacher won't be a spoiled talent if he plays all year in Laval next year. Neither will Engstrom. Both players come from Europe and could use increased familiarity on a smaller ice surface, with tons of TOI in all game situations since both Ds have all-around skills.

Mailloux has had a great AHL season last year, sure, but he still needs to work on certain aspects of his game and returning to Laval until the trade deadline next season, provided he has a good frame of mind, won't cripple his career any.

Hutson could also play in Laval, pairing up immediately with Reinbacher (that's popular suggestion) and, while I'm not against that either, I suspect management will want closer eye on Hutson's development and will rather be closely managing his ice time in Montreal, as they did with Slafkovsky, another chunk of coal they wanted to make sure they could polish into a diamond.

If all thiree of Reinbacher, Mailloux and Engstrom start the season in Laval, Hughes will have more ice time and more time, period, to build value with Barron (especially) and Harris, maybe unto the trade deadline next year.Injuries will strike across the league and management can likely get more in return for these players if they are still here beyond this offseason?

Kovacevic will always have some value as a depth RHD. I can't see how he wouldn't be worth a late 2nd round pick if Kulak was?

I'd rather trade Kovacevic this offseason and play Barron with Xhekaj regularly to start the season in Montreal.

Barron can get 2nd PP wave TOI to put his offensive upside on display.

We'll likely seen Montreal:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron / Mailloux (maybe)
Harris, Kovacevic / Barron (maybe)

In Laval:

Tobie-Brisson (I think that's his name) / Hutson (maybe) - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Mailloux (maybe)

I honestly don't see the log jam as that serious and emphasis should be on upping value for the young Ds that won't remain with the team.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I brought that up in another thread. Camalerri 12 years ago. He was coming off a ppg season (of course, he didn’t do that once he signed). Before him, I can’t even remember. Turgeon? Damphousse? Maybe they were acquired by trade? Regardless, history proves my point. It’s not happening folks, so speculation is utterly pointless. They’ll have to trade or develop a top 6 forward.

History doesn't prove your point at all. Erik Cole, Alex Radulov and Tyler Toffoli were all signed after Cammalleri. Every single one of these guys was a 1st liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad