Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So what's his next contract looking like? Im saying his camp will be looking for something around 8x$5M.

That would be a solid contract. Buy the rest of his RFA years so it gets the AAV down a bit. Maybe 8 x 4.5 because of it. Do the same with Mark Stone. IMO, Stone and Ceci are 2 players you identify in your core.

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think we give him some term to lower the average,say 6 years at 4.3.The kid is solid 2nd pairing defender,that still has some room to grow

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Signing him long term would be a mistake. Trade him for some assets to acquire a forward and slide Chabot in.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Signing him long term would be a mistake. Trade him for some assets to acquire a forward and slide Chabot in.

I agree, that's the logical choice IMO.
You want to re-sign Stone and Karlsson and then Duchene, something's gotta give.

I think we could get something really good for Ceci then you slide in Chabot. We could even keep Ceci for next season, when Chabot is 100% ready then you make a move.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Top 4 Dmen seem pretty easy to move for a good return. I don't see any issues with signing him long term at a reasonable price. Move him when we need to and have guys to fill in. I'd attempt to move Phaneuf long before Ceci; He'll have 2 years left at 6.5 and 5.5 when Karlsson need to be re-signed. Retaining 25% (making him a 5.75 cap hit) would make him a pretty movable asset while only costing us 1.625 and 1.375. Alternatively, we could add (or remove from our return) assets to unload him instead of retaining salary.

In the end though, it all comes down to what kind of return we could get for Ceci, how much it will cost to re-sign him, and how our current crop of prospects are looking. Too many variables to definitively say what the right choice is atm.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm 100% against trading Ceci, big strong Dman who can skate and defended and play 20+ hard minutes are the rarest commidity in the NHL. More rare then a starting goalie now.

Having a solid top 4 is what sets teams apart from teams that struggle and are inconsistent. Ceci and EK should be our RD for the next 7 years. That would be a huge win for the franchise.

We may be able to trade Ceci for a lot, but a lot is worth nothing if your team isn't winning. Ceci is one of those team players who you don't realize how good he was until he's gone and how much he did until you see rookies and lesser players do it.

We went through the growing pains with Ceci, not let's enjoy his play, not trade him so we start the search all over again.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No long term contract please. Also, he better be under 5M. He doesn't score enough to be considered above 5M.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Feel like he hasn't really grown or shown anything positively different on a consistent basis.

With that being said, not a bad thing at all. He is fine right behind Karlsson in the Top-4. Just keep him.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ceci is a low-end #4 thats prone to many big mistakes. Thats not a core player or a player that gets a long term contract. He's shown little improvement in the last 3 years. He's currently at exactly 300 games played.

Id' have no problem trading him in the off season, depending on how Chabot looks. Trade him before other teams start to realize.

I was really hoping last season was a significant learning experience to launch from but it appears he's still the exact same player. I dont see that changing at this point.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ceci is a low-end #4 thats prone to many big mistakes. Thats not a core player or a player that gets a long term contract. He's shown little improvement in the last 3 years. He's currently at exactly 300 games played.

Id' have no problem trading him in the off season, depending on how Chabot looks. Trade him before other teams start to realize.

I was really hoping last season was a significant learning experience to launch from but it appears he's still the exact same player. I dont see that changing at this point.
It's really odd how some can see him being a solid top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: Uchiha

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's really odd how some can see him being a solid top 4 defenceman.
Not that it's by any means the be all and end all of player evaluation, but Boucher sure seems to see him as a solid top 4 Dman. Whether they are right or wrong, is it really that odd that some agree with what a pretty successful NHL coach seems to think?

Reactions: Cosmix

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not that it's by any means the be all and end all of player evaluation, but Boucher sure seems to see him as a solid top 4 Dman. Whether they are right or wrong, is it really that odd that some agree with what a pretty successful NHL coach seems to think?
Boucher also seems to think Oduya is capable of playing top pairing minutes

I don't think we have much options for Ceci's spot so he is there by default but it doesn't necessarily mean he is a true top 4 calibre defenceman. Would've liked to see some progression from him after 3 years in the league. He started out the season playing well but has reverted to his former self.

I think people are getting accustomed to him being there just like they were with Methot on the top pairing.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Boucher also seems to think Oduya is capable of playing top pairing minutes

I don't think we have much options for Ceci's spot so he is there by default but it doesn't necessarily mean he is a true top 4 calibre defenceman. Would've liked to see some progression from him after 3 years in the league. He started out the season playing well but has reverted to his former self.

I think people are getting accustomed to him being there just like they were with Methot on the top pairing.

Progression in which area? Saying progression is quite large without specification

Ceci as progress a lot without the puck since last year. He is way more in the face of the opposition. His stick is more active. He use his body more to pinned player on the board, which he looked shy to do last year. That's the progression i'm looking for, for a player who is now staple as a defensive dman for this team.

Edit: I would like him to be better with the puck, but i still feel it's not as bad as last year. So that's another progression, to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Chabot at RD is not going to work. Trading ceci and not getting a natural top 4 right handed d back will set the team back.
If chabot is not gonna work at RD and Boucher doesn't think he will we should trade him for a bluechip young winger. Because Boucher will never have him on his left.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If chabot is not gonna work at RD and Boucher doesn't think he will we should trade him for a bluechip young winger. Because Boucher will never have him on his left.
More likely he doesn't want a rookie coming out of the Q to play in a role that involves constant high risk pinching.

Thats just asking for Chabot to mess up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
More likely he doesn't want a rookie coming out of the Q to play in a role that involves constant high risk pinching.

Thats just asking for Chabot to mess up.

Right. And then life goes on. GUYS ARe gonna make mistakes. Ceci is constantly making mistakes. Karlsson set a franchise record for minus just a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Trade him before other teams start to realize what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad