Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I certainly haven't seen all the defensman in the league, but Ceci has to be one of the most overrated d-man/players in the NHL. I have to think, his 1st round selection in the draft has shadowed him and influenced his perceived value.

He is a brutally mechanical skater, pivots poorly, often looks indecisive, rarely uses his size and is horrendously inefficient at exiting the zone. Even in last night's game he had all the time in the world to flip the puck to center ice and decided, for no reason whatsoever, to ice the puck. Even though Phaneuf is slower he is actually much more fluid and efficient in moving the puck when compared to Ceci.

Another example of Lazar Syndrome overvaluation based on draft selection.

Reactions: Uchiha

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I certainly haven't seen all the defensman in the league, but Ceci has to be one of the most overrated d-man/players in the NHL. I have to think, his 1st round selection in the draft has shadowed him and influenced his perceived value.

He is a brutally mechanical skater, pivots poorly, often looks indecisive, rarely uses his size and is horrendously inefficient at exiting the zone. Even in last night's game he had all the time in the world to flip the puck to center ice and decided, for no reason whatsoever, to ice the puck. Even though Phaneuf is slower he is actually much more fluid and efficient in moving the puck when compared to Ceci.

Great game by Ceci last night. Played over 28 minutes and looked like a top pairing guy.

Hmmm, who should I believe?

Unless you're one of the top, elite defenders in the NHL, you will look bad against the top, elite forwards in the NHL. And even those guys get burned. Ceci has been good and getting better.

You focus on the negative, that's all you ever see. Basically, picking apart the other teams goal highlight package to figure out who to blame will always prove you right.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Hmmm, who should I believe?

Unless you're one of the top, elite defenders in the NHL, you will look bad against the top, elite forwards in the NHL. And even those guys get burned. Ceci has been good and getting better.

You focus on the negative, that's all you ever see. Basically, picking apart the other teams goal highlight package to figure out who to blame will always prove you right.
You believe whatever makes you feel better. You have a lot of company in that department.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So far so good for Ceci.

Being overplayed but performing well.

Let us hope that we don't keep losing bodies on the backend.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
To all the Ceci haters. He's f***ing 23, and been a top 4 d-man since 19. Furthermore, d-men take longer to develop. Especially their offensive games.

See: Keith,Hedman, Giordano, Brodie,Josi, etc etc

The hate for Ceci is one of the weirdest things ive witnessed

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
To all the Ceci haters. He's ****ing 23, and been a top 4 d-man since 19. Furthermore, d-men take longer to develop. Especially their offensive games.

See: Keith,Hedman, Giordano, Brodie,Josi, etc etc

The hate for Ceci is one of the weirdest things ive witnessed
He was inserted as a top four dman because we didn't have any other options, which sucks for him. Doesn't mean he's been playing at that level since 19 or 20.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Cecil has to be thinking " I'm worth more then Matheson"

Matheson also went 8 years though after very little NHL experience. We probably could have gotten Ceci at a similar AAV if we went 8 years on his previous deal instead of 2. Although, that's not a big advantage for the Senators as a budget team so they presumably don't care about the cap hit and only the salary. So it's plausible that even if Ceci has a 5M-6M AAV on his next deal, we might still be paying him similar money to what we would have paid on years 3-8 of a long term deal had we signed one coming off of his ELC.

Ceci is gonna get paid....It'll be interesting to see how the Senators handle his extension. He's easily in a position to command 5M+ as an AAV on a long term deal. Do they go with a 2 year settlement prior to arbitration instead and get him cheaper, but risk him walking as a UFA? If we can't move Phaneuf, do we sell high on in July 2018 Ceci after milking his cheap RFA years?

If I had to guess now, something backloaded in the 5.5Mx4-5 year range would be his contract.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He was inserted as a top four dman because we didn't have any other options, which sucks for him. Doesn't mean he's been playing at that level since 19 or 20.

It doesn't suck for him. He only started getting hard minutes last year. At a certain point you need to take the training wheels off an expose him to the role he's projected to have. He's having a clear progression and improvement. Thats all you can ask for. It's not like he's costing us... We went to the ECF last year.

I agree with HZH. I don't understand the Ceci hate. He is easily one of the most valuable players on the team. Only Karlsson, Stone, and Chabot have more value than he does IMO.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ceci is without a doubt a top 4 D.

Honestly call it being entitled but Ceci needs to give this team a big discount, hometown kid on top of the fact we threw away another dman to keep him here in Ottawa its time to get a reward for that.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I admit I'm a harsh critic of him but if he keeps playing to a similar level that he has shown thus far this season I won't have much to gripe about

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
If he brings us scoring help (i know , we scored 12 in last 2 games. Strange things happens sometime), i am all for trading him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

he has been playing at top 4 level since he entered the league. the problem has been that he has been forced into a situation where he had to carry his pairing. Ideally we should have had a strong number 3 so that Ceci could develop in the #4 role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think Ceci is going anywhere this season... Signing him in the off season may prove to be more expensive than the Sens want at that point...we will see

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Sensfanatic, you may have misread the scores. We won 6-0 and 6-1, not the other way around. In all seriousness, i am more inclined to agree with Dorion and Boucher and also buy their explanations for last year's struggles.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

id love to see your evaluations of Mark Stone's skating and Kyle Turris play along the boards - can of enlighten us?

If Ceci is as bad as you say he is he'd be lucky to get Boro money. Heck, he should be happy with Wideman money. You know what, I'm surprised he's even in the NHL.

For his draft year, Ceci is #6 in games played, #13 in points and #11 in assists. If you want to compare him to Lazar, he's played 105 more games (288 vs 183), has 36 more points the Lazar (76 vs 40) has 11 more goals then Lazar (22 vs 11)

BUT my favourite stat is Ceci has 25 playoff games and Lazar has 7, because Ceci is a massive contributor to team success, and a reason we have such a solid team 1-20.

And Ceci gets better every game.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
id love to see your evaluations of Mark Stone's skating and Kyle Turris play along the boards - can of enlighten us?

If Ceci is as bad as you say he is he'd be lucky to get Boro money. Heck, he should be happy with Wideman money. You know what, I'm surprised he's even in the NHL.

For his draft year, Ceci is #6 in games played, #13 in points and #11 in assists. If you want to compare him to Lazar, he's played 105 more games (288 vs 183), has 36 more points the Lazar (76 vs 40) has 11 more goals then Lazar (22 vs 11)

BUT my favourite stat is Ceci has 25 playoff games and Lazar has 7, because Ceci is a massive contributor to team success, and a reason we have such a solid team 1-20.

And Ceci gets better every game.
In the first paragraph. You say "if ceci is as bad as you say he shouldn't get money"

But in the last paragraph you say he gets better every game.

Well he will play 82 games this season barring injury. I think at the rate of development that you imply. We may not be able to afford him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
In the first paragraph. You say "if ceci is as bad as you say he shouldn't get money"

But in the last paragraph you say he gets better every game.

Well he will play 82 games this season barring injury. I think at the rate of development that you imply. We may not be able to afford him.

He might want $4.5 per season and he might be entitled to it in arbitration. He's certainly due for a raise. So he won't be cheaper, my guess is he gets an average of $3.8 million long term on a 4-5 year deal.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Could be a tough year for the experts that have been telling us how bad this guy has been lol, hard to take anyone seriously though with the opinion that he is currently anything less than a top 4 guy.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I'm really impressed with his play.

Bit wary about going over sorta of $4.25 purely because he's not a 1/2 Dman. We'll see what happens.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Matheson also went 8 years though after very little NHL experience. We probably could have gotten Ceci at a similar AAV if we went 8 years on his previous deal instead of 2. Although, that's not a big advantage for the Senators as a budget team so they presumably don't care about the cap hit and only the salary. So it's plausible that even if Ceci has a 5M-6M AAV on his next deal, we might still be paying him similar money to what we would have paid on years 3-8 of a long term deal had we signed one coming off of his ELC.

Florida is a budget team with a lower budget than Ottawa.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
He might want $4.5 per season and he might be entitled to it in arbitration. He's certainly due for a raise. So he won't be cheaper, my guess is he gets an average of $3.8 million long term on a 4-5 year deal.
And thats a probleem with him. He is not stay at home defenseman and will never be. You cant effectively pair him with King Karl or Chabot. So he is third pairing guy for us going forward. You are not paying that money for third pairing D. He is decent D, i`d say above average, but soon enough he dont have place on this team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And thats a probleem with him. He is not stay at home defenseman and will never be. You cant effectively pair him with King Karl or Chabot. So he is third pairing guy for us going forward. You are not paying that money for third pairing D. He is decent D, i`d say above average, but soon enough he dont have place on this team.

Why not? I actually think long term, that's an ideal pair for both guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->