Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was pretty good last night.

Looked better in his shifts with claessen then he did with phaneuf I thought. Bad things happen when he and phaneuf pass the puck D to D.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Was pretty good last night.

Looked better in his shifts with claessen then he did with phaneuf I thought. Bad things happen when he and phaneuf pass the puck D to D.

I wouldn't give him that much credit. No one looked good last night, maybe that hid Ceci's mistakes a little more.

Phaneuf/Ceci were hemmed in their own zone for large parts of the game, but so was everyone else. Phaneuf, big hits aside, was the weak link last night defensively, but both looked lost at times.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I wouldn't give him that much credit. No one looked good last night, maybe that hid Ceci's mistakes a little more.

Phaneuf/Ceci were hemmed in their own zone for large parts of the game, but so was everyone else. Phaneuf, big hits aside, was the weak link last night defensively, but both looked lost at times.
You do know that they also should have 3 forwards on the ice ,to help us not get hemmed in their zone .Didnt see much from them either:nod:

Last edited:

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If Ceci was on the ice for the icing fest, he'd be **** on so much for giving the Pens o-zone faceoff opportunities.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
More fault to go around than that. Boucher culprit number 1
Pittsburgh,s forwards just wanted the puck far more than our forwards,they hit, fought and won the puck more.The forwards show up and its a different game ,with Pittsburgh,s D shorthanded up we could have really worn down what was a depleted unit .Instead we didnt make them work at all

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pittsburgh,s forwards just wanted the puck far more than our forwards,they hit, fought and won the puck more.The forwards show up and its a different game ,with Pittsburgh,s D shorthanded up we could have really worn down what was a depleted unit .Instead we didnt make them work at all

The forwards decided to send one forechecker in and play like Jacques lemaire from the first minute? Ohhhhh what a coincidence when we were down we looked a tad more dangerous. Coaches. Orders.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The forwards decided to send one forechecker in and play like Jacques lemaire from the first minute? Ohhhhh what a coincidence when we were down we looked a tad more dangerous. Coaches. Orders.
I understand about being worried about Pittsburgh,s forwards.But safety is just a slower death for us there .We do need to be far more assertive on offense:nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My issue with last nights game had very little to do with the D pairings, and a lot to do with the F2 on the fore-check. His role is to read whether they have a chance to force a turnover in the OZ, or retreat into the 1-3-1 and try and create the turnover in the NZ. Far too often he sat back when the right play was to pressure hard, and this resulted in limiting our time in the OZ, giving their banged up D the space to make plays, giving the opposition just one look, instead of having them guessing what we'll do, and tiring out our lines playing D instead of O. The way the forwards handle the forecheck/trap has a huge effect on how the D ends up looking, because they determine a lot of the time whether or not the opposition hits the OZ with speed.

Claesson and Wideman looked outmatched as a pair, but that's to be expected to a certain extent. They really struggled against Malkin from what I remember. I might put Harpur back in over Wideman. Ceci wasn't bad imo. Phaneuf was looking for the big hit a bit too often. I'd rather he dial it down a notch, particularly on the road where you want to take the crowd out of it, not get them riled up. Karlsson didn't create enough (expectations are high for him). Methot was just sort of there.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

That loss was 100% on the coaching staff. But it's fine, they will adjust and be better tomorrow.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

When we went down, it was likely an order to no longer drop into the trap at all. Up until that point, the F2 is supposed to use his judgement to determine whether or not they have an opportunity to force the turnover if we fore check. I imagine the forwards will get a lot of video showing them how/when they were far too passive. Would have been nice if they could have gotten that message through during the second intermission, or in game during the third, but here we are.

Having said that, our in zone coverage is where the forwards got out worked, which I think is what he was taking about with the Pens forwards wanting the puck more than us, though I guess that applies to us not sending in the F2 as well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When we went down, it was likely an order to no longer drop into the trap at all. Up until that point, the F2 is supposed to use his judgement to determine whether or not they have an opportunity to force the turnover if we fore check. I imagine the forwards will get a lot of video showing them how/when they were far too passive. Would have been nice if they could have gotten that message through during the second intermission, or in game during the third, but here we are.

Having said that, our in zone coverage is where the forwards got out worked, which I think is what he was taking about with the Pens forwards wanting the puck more than us, though I guess that applies to us not sending in the F2 as well.

Most battles anywhere near the O zone were 1 vs 2. That might have been the most conservative game I have ever in my life seen the senators play.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
sometimes I think you guys look a little too deep for answers.

game one we had more enervy and dictated the game. Last night I thought Pittsburgh had more energy and were able to dictate play.

let's see what tomorrow brings.

I can't criticize last night's game. I just think we were out of gas. and now it's a best of 5.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ceci's been making me eat my words lately. He's really stepped it up these past few games and has looked very quietly efficient. One back-check in particular in the first period last night had me do a double-take to make sure it really was him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This thread got quiet

WIN BABY, JUST WIN!!

All is healed with winning. Tough to notice anyone last night who had an off night.

Human nature, winning cures all (for the time being). Pens seem to be really making Ottawa's D look really good so far in this series. Andy hasn't given up many rebounds and Pitt isn't really forechecking as hard as Boston and the Rangers were.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The only thing I would like Ceci to improve is his confidence when passing the puck. I think he's trying too hard to make the safe play at times, and that causes him to make a soft, fluffy pass that gets intercepted and then the Sens get hemmed in their zone.

Add a little mustard to those passes and get that breakout started.

He looks really strong on his skates and is improving his positional game and he's definitely throwing his body in front of pucks more which I'm sure his team mates are taking notice of and appreciating.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
WIN BABY, JUST WIN!!

All is healed with winning. Tough to notice anyone last night who had an off night.

Human nature, winning cures all (for the time being). Pens seem to be really making Ottawa's D look really good so far in this series. Andy hasn't given up many rebounds and Pitt isn't really forechecking as hard as Boston and the Rangers were.

His first period had a lot of brainfarts. I knoooooowww we scored 4 goals. But he settled in and did what he had to after that.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
His first period had a lot of brainfarts. I knoooooowww we scored 4 goals. But he settled in and did what he had to after that.

(whispers to not get everyone all riled up) I completely agree..

Unfortunately, no one will have noticed because we were up 4-0, but definitely some issues there for sure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
(whispers to not get everyone all riled up) I completely agree..

Unfortunately, no one will have noticed because we were up 4-0, but definitely some issues there for sure.

The thing I noticed most about the 1st period is absolutely everyone (Ceci included) having issues handling the puck thanks to the slush they were calling ice. Guys were falling down all over the place for no reason too.

Not sure what brain farts you guys are referring too, so I can't say if they may be attributable to the ice. Do you guys have any specifics to discuss?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Wow. An almost perfect period for Ottawa and people are on the lookout for mistakes made by a 22 year old Dman who's been a beast all playoffs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The thing I noticed most about the 1st period is absolutely everyone (Ceci included) having issues handling the puck thanks to the slush they were calling ice. Guys were falling down all over the place for no reason too.

Not sure what brain farts you guys are referring too, so I can't say if they may be attributable to the ice. Do you guys have any specifics to discuss?

It was his usually stuff with the puck. Especially below our goal line.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wow. An almost perfect period for Ottawa and people are on the lookout for mistakes made by a 22 year old Dman who's been a beast all playoffs.

I'm in the lookout for absolutely everything. It's simply the way I watch sports. All sports.

I'm not blinded by scorelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad