Speculation: Coaching Discussion

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We need coaches that have modern systems and not dinosaurs.
i can see your point there. but Q was the beginning part of that run. i still say the type of a team of having no practices is to get a hard nose ass kicking coach. to shake up the team that is talented like the hawks.

as i have mention now and in the past, these coaches are a temp basis.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree. Jeremy Colliton would be the easiest I would think to slide in would he not?
He is young but I think that might be what the players would respond to.
Not sure what to make of Toews and his relative health/motivation though.

Yes but it sets him up for failure a bit but I like what he seems to be installing in Rockford (I have only seen 2 games).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I agree but I also think for that salary I am ok with taking the risk of signing him with the hope he can get his game back (assuming he is finally healthy). Q is just too stubborn or stupid to put him in the right spot or sit him now.

I mean FFS Q took a natural center in Hino out to put Sharp back in and moved Hartman to center which severely impacts his impact. I am a supporter of Panik and think 38-48-14 should have been given more time to gel (last game he seemed more willing to hit on the forecheck which has been a good sign in the past).

TO BE CLEAR, Panik is not performing like he should.
so on this post, we will have a really hard point in a disagreement.

i never wanted sharp and i am not a big fan of panik either. even last season. i have said that that money would be better used as a fa signing for a d-man or help acquire a d-man.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Personally, I would love to see what Jim Montgomery could do as an NHL coach. He runs modern systems and has played in the show (carries some clout with players unfortunately), and he can develop talent.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
so on this post, we will have a really hard point in a disagreement.

i never wanted sharp and i am not a big fan of panik either. even last season. i have said that that money would be better used as a fa signing for a d-man or help acquire a d-man.

You didn't like Panik last season? There is no point in talking if that is the case because he was damn good and played a good 200ft.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Personally, I would love to see what Jim Montgomery could do as an NHL coach. He runs modern systems and has played in the show (carries some clout with players unfortunately), and he can develop talent.
here is where we are in agreement. i also have the other past post on J Montgomery as the next coach candidates.

the problem is, he will not leave now, but at the end of the season. so in the meantime, the Bhawks needs a temp coach.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You didn't like Panik last season? There is no point in talking if that is the case because he was damn good and played a good 200ft.
i admit this, to prove i am not spin-doctoring my posts. i admit opinions, however i did agree that his contract was a decent signing, not great b/c i thought he was over pd. i said a 1.8-2.0 contract is more like it.

now for my dislike, do i want him not to succeed...... hell no. i rather be wrong than right in most cases of my dislikes....

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
here is where we are in agreement. i also have the other past post on J Montgomery as the next coach candidates.

the problem is, he will not leave now, but at the end of the season. so in the meantime, the Bhawks needs a temp coach.

I would promote Ulf and fire KD (I was previously high on him)/Q.

Ideally I would want Stan to sell Ulf on the plan going forward and compensate him well to stay as an assistant coach because I think he is a really good defensive coach.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would promote Ulf and fire KD (I was previously high on him)/Q.

Ideally I would want Stan to sell Ulf on the plan going forward and compensate him well to stay as an assistant coach because I think he is a really good defensive coach.
well i hate to admit this, but i can't see anything good in the coaching..... b/c i can't seem to see everything outside Q mess.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I agree but I also think for that salary I am ok with taking the risk of signing him with the hope he can get his game back (assuming he is finally healthy). Q is just too stubborn or stupid to put him in the right spot or sit him now.

I mean FFS Q took a natural center in Hino out to put Sharp back in and moved Hartman to center which severely impacts his impact. I am a supporter of Panik and think 38-48-14 should have been given more time to gel (last game he seemed more willing to hit on the forecheck which has been a good sign in the past).

TO BE CLEAR, Panik is not performing like he should.

I knew this would happen which is one of the reasons I didn't want Sharp back.

I get the roll the dice idea but not with this coach, he'll keep rolling until it comes up 6 and it never will.

Reactions: BobbyJet and BK

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Weird you scratch a 3/4 liner in Sharp then gets a magical promotion to the Toews line.

Visual Q speaking: Sharpie took it well, did the right things and such. We like Hino but thought Sharpie gives us the best chance to win, he's been there...

Utter BS, me speaking now.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Visual Q speaking: Sharpie took it well, did the right things and such. We like Hino but thought Sharpie gives us the best chance to win, he's been there...

Utter BS, me speaking now.
that is total and a complete bs..... that line is a safe, no thought regurgitated line from the ages of past press lines.

tell of one coach who would have said otherwise. "ah we are giving Sharp one last time before we move on."

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
We all did.
really, i could have sworn a majority love the signing and had him pegged for the 1st line. now understand me, i am not say that you were among this group, i am saying beside the typical nah-sayers i was also on the this is a bad move.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
really, i could have sworn a majority love the signing and had him pegged for the 1st line. now understand me, i am not say that you were among this group, i am saying beside the typical nah-sayers i was also on the this is a bad move.

Most were fine with Sharpie as a bottom 6 player. There was no huge love for it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
See what the other way?
the other way for me was, and again this is my understanding of this at the time.

sharp with toews and saad. then when it was the decision by the coaches , it was then saad toews and panik with sharp going to the 3rd line.

now with sharp on the 3rd line, i thought i remembered that many were saying he would provide scoring for that 3rd line with hartman and heyden.

this is what i remember, in the short version. as i said, i see your point and am acknowledging i may have been wrong in my memory.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Some of the opinions at the time of the Sharp signing, no names please:

If Sharp keeps plugs like Hino off the ice then the Hawks are better for it

If it's for under a mil, then there's nothing to lose.

If it's strictly for the bottom 6, I love this move. Unfortunately, I know Q won't be able to control himself.

If the rumored cap hit around a million is right, I have zero issues with this.

I think it would be a great move, no risk and nothing but reward here..

I agree with the 3rd line "bum slayer" comment

Sharp is only 35, he's not 40.... He could be good for 40-50 points..

Either way we know what we're getting with him.

Anyone who moans about signing Sharp to a minimum contract needs their heads examined.

For a million or less, this is nothing but good. Some of you guys act like he's going to be a construction cone out there. How about we wait and see? This is low risk/high reward as far as I see it. And yeah, I'm excited to see this particular familiar face return. Patrick F###in' Sharp is coming home!!

I am happy to have Sharp back!

Should be fine for 3rd line/2nd unit PP and occasional spot top 6 duty

he still scores at .5 ppg and is - as you pointed out - underrated defensively..

Sharpie at barely a mil is well beyond worth it for his leadership and Lockeroom presence. The dude can park his butt on the third line and net us 15 goals this year.

Nothing wrong with signing players who know the system/team and willing to give discounts.

if he is anywhere near healthy, this guy is a 20 goal scorer - hell he did that the year prior for the Stars easily outperforming his last year in Chicago.

there is not a single spec of downside here with Sharp

if you're a Blackhawks fan, you have to love this. Sharp at that price? That's the perfect Band-Aid for losing Hossa

There were plenty of rose colored glasses given out at the Sharp signing, just sayin'

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

If it's strictly for the bottom 6, I love this move. Unfortunately, I know Q won't be able to control himself.

Anyone who moans about signing Sharp to a minimum contract needs their heads examined.

For a million or less, this is nothing but good. Some of you guys act like he's going to be a construction cone out there. How about we wait and see? This is low risk/high reward as far as I see it. And yeah, I'm excited to see this particular familiar face return. Patrick F###in' Sharp is coming home!!

he still scores at .5 ppg and is - as you pointed out - underrated defensively..

Sharpie at barely a mil is well beyond worth it for his leadership and Lockeroom presence. The dude can park his butt on the third line and net us 15 goals this year.

Nothing wrong with signing players who know the system/team and willing to give discounts.

if he is anywhere near healthy, this guy is a 20 goal scorer - hell he did that the year prior for the Stars easily outperforming his last year in Chicago.

if you're a Blackhawks fan, you have to love this. Sharp at that price? That's the perfect Band-Aid for losing Hossa

There were plenty of rose colored glasses given out at the Sharp signing, just sayin'
:yo:
ahahah .... i really think i see a couple of my remarks in this great list.

well done and fully appreciate it.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Sharp might have been a pre-retirement Modano type of signing, had Quenneville not already neutered his PKing-Center ability during his first stint.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/sharp-to-hawks-1-year-800k-w-200k-bonuses.2365399/

Just link the thread. Plenty of meh in there.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
with that link and everyone seeing the majority of the responses were pretty much on the same concerns about sharp, was this the right choice for the Bhawks and could the team have used Sharp salary plus whatever limited salary for a better Fa player or trade piece ??

so was this Q fault at the failure of providing him with players to can help the team ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad