Speculation: Coaching Discussion

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Seriously...if any of us had any real insider information, we'd be working for the Blackhawks, not posting on one of their message boards.

For what it's worth, one does not have to work for an NHL club to have this kind of information. There are also NHL people from players to hockey ops personnel who are registered HF members, in many cases dating back to before they were in the league in whatever capacity they are now in.

As per the topic, I'd be beyond stunned if Bowman wasn't given the opportunity to hire his own coach.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For what it's worth, one does not have to work for an NHL club to have this kind of information. There are also NHL people from players to hockey ops personnel who are registered HF members, in many cases dating back to before they were in the league in whatever capacity they are now in.

As per the topic, I'd be beyond stunned if Bowman wasn't given the opportunity to hire his own coach.
hypothetical question if you don't mind. do you think he will have the final say so in firing Q if it comes to that ?? i am not suggesting that is the case, just wondering , even if Q contract extends thru 2019–20

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
hypothetical question if you don't mind. do you think he will have the final say so in firing Q if it comes to that ?? i am not suggesting that is the case, just wondering , even if Q contract extends thru 2019–20

My gut says yes, in the end. My guess is, and I may be wrong, that he may not be able to just make that call on his own, even as GM. Which sucks, and kind of illustrates the question marks many have about how the power structure works at the top. I think Bowman outlasts Quenneville and is able to hire his own coach and subsequently it's all on Bowman at this point to sink or swim, and will have a big say on it happening when he decides to do it, but I don't think it's a decision he can make without discussing it with the powers that be above him.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My gut says yes, in the end. My guess is, and I may be wrong, that he may not be able to just make that call on his own, even as GM. Which sucks, and kind of illustrates the question marks many have about how the power structure works at the top. I think Bowman outlasts Quenneville and is able to hire his own coach and subsequently it's all on Bowman at this point to sink or swim, and will have a big say on it happening when he decides to do it, but I don't think it's a decision he can make without discussing it with the powers that be above him.
with Q being fired, i really believe no one will be able to tell if that decision came from SB or owners. the reason is Q is owed a little over 6 mil per until, as i said 2019-20. that being said, will need to come from the owners approval with that much money left on the table.

just my thought process.

however i also believe that SB has earned the right to hire a new coach, b/c he has done a great job in scouting. i would trust him.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

I think most hockey teams are like most other businesses, any information that can affect their organization in a way they find significant is held close to the vest, and leaks aren't tolerated.

I seriously think that anyone who works for an NHL club and/or that has access to that kind of real information doesn't divulge the real information without an okay from above--especially if they want to keep their job and/or if the information is common knowledge. (i.e. if xxx player takes a puck to the groin, we know it's a specific injury, not "lower body").

Or, to put it another way, How do we know that the "source" is not just feeding us a load of manure just to get Enquiring Minds off of their back?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think most hockey teams are like most other businesses, any information that can affect their organization in a way they find significant is held close to the vest, and leaks aren't tolerated.

I seriously think that anyone who works for an NHL club and/or that has access to that kind of real information doesn't divulge the real information without an okay from above--especially if they want to keep their job and/or if the information is common knowledge. (i.e. if xxx player takes a puck to the groin, we know it's a specific injury, not "lower body").

Or, to put it another way, How do we know that the "source" is not just feeding us a load of manure just to get Enquiring Minds off of their back?
i would like to also add, the sports team of chi doesn't have those leaks anymore. it is hard to get any interesting tidbits from the rumor connections.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

I don't dispute any of that. I was just addressing the original statement that people who have that kind of information could only be working for the club and wouldn't be posting around here. Not claiming they're here posting said information, but they're around the boards some.

With that said, not much leaks out from the Blackhawks front office. But then its not often leaks come from front offices, they come from agents or people outside of an organization that get information. It's a sneaky little world.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't dispute any of that. I was just addressing the original statement that people who have that kind of information could only be working for the club and wouldn't be posting around here. Not claiming they're here posting said information, but they're around the boards some.

With that said, not much leaks out from the Blackhawks front office. But then its not often leaks come from front offices, they come from agents or people outside of an organization that get information. It's a sneaky little world.

Oh, I know...it was just a potshot at those who bandy around tidbits of info that say they have "insider information" and yet are wrong more often than Ecklund. But I'm just a jerk like that :P).

I mean seriously...how many different people have come here--or any other message board who have said they have it on can't miss knowledge that they're about to trade Crawford...or Kane...?

Any piece of info I don't get from the 'hawks or the NHL directly I take with a Himalayan salt lamp, but I'm a cynical bastage that way.

Reactions: LDF and Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Oh, I know...it was just a potshot at those who bandy around tidbits of info that say they have "insider information" and yet are wrong more often than Ecklund. But I'm just a jerk like that :P).

I mean seriously...how many different people have come here--or any other message board who have said they have it on can't miss knowledge that they're about to trade Crawford...or Kane...?

Any piece of info I don't get from the 'hawks or the NHL directly I take with a Himalayan salt lamp, but I'm a cynical bastage that way.

Kane for Ryan Miller was totes going to happen.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

oh man i have never seen this quote.... love it...... :biglaugh:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Whoever runs the power play has to be fired. Worst it’s looked in 5 years. The system is terrible and the personnel on it also sucks. I think the guys have had a bad power play system almost their whole career here and now they just have bad habits. No creativity or movement. Can’t retrieve pucks.

If Jeff Glass starts tomorrow I won’t watch.

Trade the expiring contracts at the deadline and get some assets. If we trade our first for a rental and we are out of the playoffs in the standings at the deadline, I’ll write personal letters to the front office, hand written, voicing my displeasure.

Reactions: Rolo

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
What was the PP in December? One for like, 41? That right there is reason enough to fire the coaching staff.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Patrick Kane
Alex Debrincat
Nick Schmaltz
Artem Anisimov
Gustav Forsling

With this kind of talent, you should be able to assemble a decent top PP unit...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Q is clearly has expired with this team. Doesn't make him a bad coach but EVERY coach has a shelf life. Time for a new voice.

Lines have been terrible.
PP is brutal (this is Q and KD).
D pairings have been consistently wrong.

Just time for Q to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3