Coach Q on thin ice?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For all the complaining that some posters do (even though no one knows if Q is hard on people), I would be willing to bet that the Hawks are in the bottom 1/3 of games lost to injury since Q took over. Bottom 5 if you take Hossa out for the skin issue. Just a guess but the team seems to stay healthy and Q has something to do with that.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't know. The Blackhawks still owe $18mn for 3 years starting tonight. Unless Q doesn't make the playoffs and there is a mutiny in the locker room, I think he gets this and next year. If he does well, Q gets to ride off into the sunset on a farewell 2019-2020 season.

Reactions: LDF

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Another 1st round exit? He's out.

That's my guess.

Agreed, unless there's a major injury to a key player (Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford). If that happens, I think they could use it as an excuse to buy him another year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't know, if we have another exit like last year, absolutely they should think about a change behind the bench. If we take a team like Nashville, or Anaheim/Edmonton to 7 games, OT in the 1st round, I think Q has another year.

Reactions: LordKOTL

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
For all the complaining that some posters do (even though no one knows if Q is hard on people), I would be willing to bet that the Hawks are in the bottom 1/3 of games lost to injury since Q took over. Bottom 5 if you take Hossa out for the skin issue. Just a guess but the team seems to stay healthy and Q has something to do with that.

Injuries are part of luck as well but yea, guys like Sharpie did mention Q does a great job with giving guys time off when needed throughout the season. Another guy who is supposedly good at that is Joe Maddon of the Cubs.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Blackhawks, and Q, were ahead of the curve on a lot of things through their glory years 2010-2015. One of those was basically being towards the bottom of the league in practice-time through the season.

Now pretty much every team barely practices through the season. It's one of those advantages that other teams wised up to and took away.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Blackhawks, and Q, were ahead of the curve on a lot of things through their glory years 2010-2015. One of those was basically being towards the bottom of the league in practice-time through the season.

Now pretty much every team barely practices through the season. It's one of those advantages that other teams wised up to and took away.
it is stories that continues to give great kudos to the FO on doing this run the way they have.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't know, if we have another exit like last year, absolutely they should think about a change behind the bench. If we take a team like Nashville, or Anaheim/Edmonton to 7 games, OT in the 1st round, I think Q has another year.
for me, it will all depends on the how the Bhawks exit .

however if there is an exit b/c of players not living up to the hype, contract or hope, then some other reckoning will need to happen.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Injuries are part of luck as well but yea, guys like Sharpie did mention Q does a great job with giving guys time off when needed throughout the season. Another guy who is supposedly good at that is Joe Maddon of the Cubs.
Q knows how to keep a team rolling with "fresh legs" ... or is that joke too soon still?

Even the hardass coach that supposedly was Torts went to not having morning skates last year to lessen practice time before their win streak began. They had other benefits like least games played tied with Minnesota when they had their streak meet up, but it was healthy unworn play that helped.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I call this: grasping straws trying to find Q's good qualities. Let's face it, Q is pretty good once the game has started with match-ups and game management in general and at pampering his core players, (assuming that's a good thing) but it pretty much ends there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I call this: grasping straws trying to find Q's good qualities. Let's face it, Q is pretty good once the game has started with match-ups and game management in general and at pampering his core players, (assuming that's a good thing) but it pretty much ends there.

So you mean he is good at coaching? (kind of sarcasm but mostly not) You are kind of the one grasping at straws on this one, your answer confirms talks about why he is a top coach.

I was talking about one specific thing, player management.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
For example: Should Forsling be playing tonight?
Wait I thought the issue was Q didn't give young talent a chance to play and grow with mistakes on nhl ice.

So when he both does or doesn't put a guy out to learn who has a high ceiling, it's bad.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The rumours about Q and Stanley not getting along have been around forever.

Q briefly pre-dates Bowman in their respective jobs, they've both been along way too long for the "GM should get to pick his own coach" schtick.

If things go really south I think Q will go before Bowman.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I can kinda agree with this. I think the way the 'hawks would hypothetically be eliminated would come into play, but ultimately the expectation to be better is there--and there's still a chance he could be jettisoned even if it goes to 7gms/OT.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Q is not a bad Coach, Q is a good one. If we fire him it'll be because the time is over, not because he is a bad Coach.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The rumours about Q and Stanley not getting along have been around forever.

Q briefly pre-dates Bowman in their respective jobs, they've both been along way too long for the "GM should get to pick his own coach" schtick.

If things go really south I think Q will go before Bowman.

You imply they should leave together if things go really south, then say otherwise.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Do you really think he is not a top 3 coach?

1. Babcock
2. Sullivan
3. Q

Q is far from perfect but he is still one of the best. Hell I will bitch about him tonight most likely.
you and some other posters have stated that Q is and should be considered a good coach in the history of nhl. yeah he and SB do not get along, but as long as the team keeps producing and keeps winning.

i will wait for the season to end before i really judge both their jobs and results.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Might win the Jack Adams if this team ends up for real
i mean, really folks, he help with the players and finding the right way to get the most out of them to win the SC, not once but 3 times and yeah, we still might be in the hunt in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00