Coach Q on thin ice?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
so unless you have proof of direct knowledge, then all this is circumstantial and needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

this is a forum that provides this world of fans to voice their opinions, and this, including mine is all opinions.

The team reported losses and using money for other Wirtz businesses?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The team reported losses and using money for other Wirtz businesses?
ahhh the world of economics i see. there is so much of that grey line is that it is not even straight line. at least for normal people to see. owners as well as agents will use whatever tactics they can use to prove a point.

let me add, the profit / lost and with conjunction with bickell contract, what was the salary cap number in that time ?? i bet it was a lot less than what it is today, 73 mil + .

here is the day the Bhawks is starting, i hope a promising season and we are talking about Q loosing. while you and some do have a valid stand, we do not know what will actually happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
ahhh the world of economics i see. there is so much of that grey line is that it is not even straight line. at least for normal people to see. owners as well as agents will use whatever tactics they can use to prove a point.

let me add, the profit / lost and with conjunction with bickell contract, what was the salary cap number in that time ?? i bet it was a lot less than what it is today, 73 mil + .

here is the day the Bhawks is starting, i hope a promising season and we are talking about Q loosing. while you and some do have a valid stand, we do not know what will actually happen.

What does the Bickell salary have to do with this? I am not following that part.

We can only go on what is reported and what was reported was that the Hawks took a loss the first few years and Rocky moved money around (not Rockey specifically but you know what I mean). There are 100% grey areas but the Hawks since Rocky has taken over have never been a budget team. They spend to the max and if you think 6 million a year for a few years would come between them and potentially winning more I think you are wrong.

This thread is all about hypotheticals so you trying to spin it as a negative thread when the season is starting is kind of funny. Thread is a "what if" thread.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What does the Bickell salary have to do with this? I am not following that part. you yourself said that i mention this and "You yourself give proof of the team doing so" this was post #24

We can only go on what is reported and what was reported was that the Hawks took a loss the first few years and Rocky moved money around (not Rockey specifically but you know what I mean). There are 100% grey areas but the Hawks since Rocky has taken over have never been a budget team. They spend to the max and if you think 6 million a year for a few years would come between them and potentially winning more I think you are wrong. i will give the main principal of max profitable rtn .... loosing 6 per for 1 + yrs is not a way to do it. it that is the case of money and money being lost is economic feasible for owners. ah screw it. i am not sure on 1 ruling of the salary cap. my bad.

This thread is all about hypotheticals so you trying to spin it as a negative thread when the season is starting is kind of funny. Thread is a "what if" thread.

with the last part, i disagree but i will not respond. i will leave this lively debate on this. it was fun .

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
i will still preach this, he will not be fired b/c of the money owed to him.

how much is his salary and the contracted yrs??
Fired, no, but another bad season and he will be let go in one way or another.

When was the last time this team went cheap on anything?
When we had to deal with $bill...thankfully those days are over...for now.

Rocky has already shown the performance of the team on the ice is more important than fiscal performance. You yourself give proof of the team doing so. The Blackhawks are just a small part of a highly profitable corporation.

If Dollar Bill was the owner sure but Rocky has shown the opposite to what you are saying.
Agreed...but you'd have to think if $Bill was the owner the team would be competing with the Avs as the bottom rung of the league right now.

That being said, yes, if the 'hawks get bounced 1st round again or worse, Q's gone--be it an outright firing, "Stepping down", or "promoted" to another place in the organization.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Fired, no, but another bad season and he will be let go in one way or another.

When we had to deal with $bill...thankfully those days are over...for now.

Agreed...but you'd have to think if $Bill was the owner the team would be competing with the Avs as the bottom rung of the league right now.

That being said, yes, if the 'hawks get bounced 1st round again or worse, Q's gone--be it an outright firing, "Stepping down", or "promoted" to another place in the organization.

ahhh i love it, politics as bismark said is the art of the possible. i too will see the org do something like this, b/c of the salary owed.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
ahhh i love it, politics as bismark said is the art of the possible. i too will see the org do something like this, b/c of the salary owed.

To me, you're focusing too hard on the salary. This wouldn't be done due to salary. The Hawks are not a budget team. They operate as one of the top 5 markets in the NHL when it comes to generating revenue. If they "promoted" him to another place in the organization it will be because of 3 Cups, and literally will have absolutely nothing to do with money.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
To me, you're focusing too hard on the salary. This wouldn't be done due to salary. The Hawks are not a budget team. They operate as one of the top 5 markets in the NHL when it comes to generating revenue. If they "promoted" him to another place in the organization it will be because of 3 Cups, and literally will have absolutely nothing to do with money.
yeah i prob do focus on the salary, b/c that is the basis of the continued success of this team.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What type of scenario are you referencing to them of not eating money by bringing up Bickell. They couldn't do a thing different than what they did such as buy him out because Cap hit trouble that causes.

When you could before this cba just bury a player and pay the cost they did for Huet and Olesz. They took on financial losses and overspend because they know it doesn't hurt the Writz bottom line but thinking Q is gonna hurt their winning and playoff chances would add up over seasons so that cost of removal would be worth taking as other costs have been to them.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
yeah i prob do focus on the salary, b/c that is the basis of the continued success of this team.

I meant strictly in relation to Q. His salary has no bearing on the continued success of the team as it has nothing to do with the players' money or salary cap.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I meant strictly in relation to Q. His salary has no bearing on the continued success of the team as it has nothing to do with the players' money or salary cap.
as a last comment on this, it does have a bearing. the final tally of the org finance. that finance will dictate other moves that the team as an org can or can not do. b/c of the money lost ....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
as much as Q irritates the hell out of me at times, there is a continued reshuffling of dumpster fire coaches out there year in and year out...honestly, there isn't a single name I would say we should fire Q for coaching right now. the NHL has a massive problem with bringing in new blood for coaching jobs. the NFL is finally getting that picture and you are starting to see it big-time this season with young/unproven coaches getting top jobs.

maybe after Chris Chelios gets more coaching time this Olympics and beyond I can say bring him in, but there might be 2-3 names out there that would be interesting as a coach, hardly worth dumping Q for unless we go with a new vision and youth behind the bench.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
as a last comment on this, it does have a bearing. the final tally of the org finance. that finance will dictate other moves that the team as an org can or can not do. b/c of the money lost ....

Again, this organization brings in more revenue than all but 2 or 3 NHL teams. They also have the backing of the conglomerate that is Wirtz Bev (Breakthru Bev). Which had $5.4 billion in revenue last year... Rocky, himself, is worth $4.2 billion. Do you honestly believe he gives a rat's ass about 6m that he would have to pay Q? Q's salary has absolutely no bearing on the success of the team or paying players...or whether he would get shit-canned, or not. In any way whatsoever. They are hardly going to squawk at 6 million dollars. It's chump change to them.

As far as the Hawks, the organization itself is valued at close to $1 billion. Between the stadium, their TV ownership(they own, or owned 20% of CSN), concessions, branding, etc... the $6m is nothing. Money... would have absolutely nothing to do with if Q would get fired or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
With all due respect, I'm sure there are more than a handful of excellent coaches in the various leagues in NA and in Europe. The notion that Q is irreplaceable is a myth.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Honestly, all McDonut has to do to make up the cash is get the 'hawks to do another fashion show, and hope Sharp doesn't flash the crowd.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Money won't be a Problem. If they have a bad Stretch and are on the bubble, I think we might see Coach Q stepping down because of reasons. That's nicer said than he's fired or "promoted" to a better Job in mgmt.

The new Coaches have nothing to do with Q staying or leaving. RFD needed a Change as the Hawks needed with Kitchen. None of them screams new HC to me.

I don't think you can pull that kind mid-season. After the end of a disappointing season, sure, but nobody gets promoted in the middle of a season, nobody would buy that spin for a second (I mean even now people know it's BS, but they kind of just humor it... nobody would humor the promotion angle in the middle of a losing season).

If a change is made mid-season, it will be a firing, and then they'll bring him back in the off-season to announce the Blackhawks organization have brought him in for a management position.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
hqdefault.jpg

When a bank lends you a million, the bank owns you. When the bank lends you a billion, you own the bank

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Next person that says 'he has 3 Cups' as a way for Q getting a pass gets a swift kick in the nards. This team is in a win now mode. Past performance is not going to carry much merit after two 1st round losses. If he cannot adjust to the way the NHL/Team plays now (with young talent and speed) then he will be a bit of a dinosaur and you cannot waste years of Toews/Kane prime on that. Time is not on his side. As stated earlier, if they are a bubble team falling into Q's comfort zone way of playing he will be shown the door after the season if there is a first round exit.......or less. Maybe earlier depending on how the backroom stuff plays out.

Making these tough choices is what a GM HAS to do if things are not going as he sees it should be.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Next person that says 'he has 3 Cups' as a way for Q getting a pass gets a swift kick in the nards. This team is in a win now mode. Past performance is not going to carry much merit after two 1st round losses. If he cannot adjust to the way the NHL/Team plays now (with young talent and speed) then he will be a bit of a dinosaur and you cannot waste years of Toews/Kane prime on that. Time is not on his side. As stated earlier, if they are a bubble team falling into Q's comfort zone way of playing he will be shown the door after the season if there is a first round exit.......or less. Maybe earlier depending on how the backroom stuff plays out.

Making these tough choices is what a GM HAS to do if things are not going as he sees it should be.

I don't think anyone mentioned in here that the 3 Cups is a way for him to get a pass... did they? I think it was only mentioned in regards to why he'll be "promoted" in the organization, as opposed to fired outright.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I don't think anybody gives Q a pass on anything. The 3 rings argument is more or less to a) dismiss the notion that he's a bad coach or holding us back or b) say that maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt on some things.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think this season is his 'benefit of the doubt' option. Coaches seem to lose their voice after periods of time no matter how great. Just happens.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm expecting the Hawks to surprise some critics this year and be a contender, so don't really think it gets to the point where Q is anywhere near being let go. Can't think of any available coach I want taking over the team atm. Bowman needs to get Q another top 4 defenseman and this team will be in real good shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00