Coach Q on thin ice?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
you and some other posters have stated that Q is and should be considered a good coach in the history of nhl. yeah he and SB do not get along, but as long as the team keeps producing and keeps winning.

i will wait for the season to end before i really judge both their jobs and results.

Q could retire today and he would be in the conversation for top coaches historically. 2nd in regular season wins (over .500 points percentage), 3rd in playoff wins (over .500 win percentage), and 3 cups. Many of the coaches with more cups are pre- 1960.

We can kid ourselves on here and not consider him a top coach but history will most likely remember him as one of the best coaches ever.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
He's a phenomenal coach, just stubborn to a fault at times.

Tonight illustrated how his reluctance to modify the PP setup and use sensible personnel costs this team games. Keith on the PP, pointmen off their shot side, and the OT personnel were simply unjustifiable moves for even the stupidest of minds. Yet he does them game, after game, after game without management giving a mandate to stop the madness. I would love the opportunity to challenge Q on these moves and try to have him justify them with some stats, logic, or video evidence. It would be an easy dismantle as such evidence simply doesn't exist.

Bowman should have fixed this long ago and if Q balked then he should have been shown the f***ing door. Q's ego and inability to identify, admit, and correct mistakes is detrimental to the team. Sad thing is these are easily correctable with some humility/common sense/higher authority intervention.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Keeping Keith on the 1st PP unit is one of his stubborn faults. Keith is only good at shooting it directly at the opposing player 10 feet in front of him. That is it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Setup is not the issue (from a system standpoint). If they would move their feet the power play would be a nightmare to defend.

And remove Keith from the PP.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Keith is very good at keeping pucks in the zone. Not saying that warrants being on the 1st unit, but he'd be on the 2nd one for sure for me

Feb 24, 2017
What do you guys think overall of Joel Quenneville as a coach, after all these years and all the success?

Do you think he’s been a large contributor to the three rings? Do you think he’s held the team back from a 4th or more? Is he appropriately responsible for them having 3 recent cups? I am just curious to hear from the diehards who would have the best day to day, year to year opinion. I guess it’s because he’s maybe not quite as heralded in the public as other coaches who would have had 3 cup rings in their underoos drawer since 2010.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
What do you guys think overall of Joel Quenneville as a coach, after all these years and all the success?

Do you think he’s been a large contributor to the three rings? Do you think he’s held the team back from a 4th or more? Is he appropriately responsible for them having 3 recent cups? I am just curious to hear from the diehards who would have the best day to day, year to year opinion. I guess it’s because he’s maybe not quite as heralded in the public as other coaches who would have had 3 cup rings in their underoos drawer since 2010.

Love him or hate him. When it's all said and done he's going into the Hall of Fame. Not only the rings but he is the second winningest coach in NHL history

Next

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

It's hard to guess what another coach would have done. Q keeps everyone healthy and happy, has dealt with some unusual off ice situations with the team, and always makes the right decisions in the end. And that's the biggest problem people have with him. There are a lot of times where even your grandma is screaming at the TV with her cane in the air calling for certain lineup changes like Saad-Shaw-Kane line in 2014 against the Kings, Sharp at 2C in 2010 against Philly, etc. That's my biggest issue, anyway. I know some people hate how he has his pet guys that he overuses or uses at all for that matter. A lot of coaches do that. I guess in the end, who knows what it is like to coach a pro team. At the end of the day, you need a new voice at some point and we're trying to figure out if that is now. No excuses, we want to keep winning so we'll do it with or without him. We get bounced in the 1st round again, one would think he'd get promoted out of the job.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
You guys are nuts. Sure he's been the benificiary of some good teams but he is 2nd in wins and a bad coach simply does not do that with years and years of teams and him being one of the few constants. He does some things that has me screaming sometimes but he also knows his guys more than any of us ever will. One of the greatest Chicago sports coaches. Sometimes you don't know what you have til it's gone...

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You guys are nuts. Sure he's been the benificiary of some good teams but he is 2nd in wins and a bad coach simply does not do that with years and years of teams and him being one of the few constants. He does some things that has me screaming sometimes but he also knows his guys more than any of us ever will. One of the greatest Chicago sports coaches. Sometimes you don't know what you have til it's gone...
the biggest temptation is to break away from a game-plan, esp a game-plan and philosophy that has worked in winning and winning 3 SC''s.
do not get me wrong, i have stated this at the beginning of last yr, he can not nor does he have that ability to adapt to any game while it is going on.

so the case is, he has been very successful during the season, so do we, as fans judge him on win/lost or SC.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
By not promoting Hino after Schmaltz went down (and simply inserted Hino in his spot), the head coach has disrupted team chemistry. Line 2 and 3, both with different centermen were in disarray last evening. But this is nothing new with stubborn Q, who evidently doesn't like the play of Hinostroza despite his strong camp.
Leafs skated circles around Blackhawks and Q had no answer... especially against line 2 and 3, both with the different, and the wrong centers.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
By not promoting Hino after Schmaltz went down (and simply inserted Hino in his spot), the head coach has disrupted team chemistry. Line 2 and 3, both with different centermen were in disarray last evening. But this is nothing new with stubborn Q, who evidently doesn't like the play of Hinostroza despite his strong camp.
Leafs skated circles around Blackhawks and Q had no answer... especially against line 2 and 3, both with the different, and the wrong centers.

You were so right about that, you and anyone else who said it, leave everything alone and just pop the new guy right in for Schmaltz. That was probably the best 2 game stretch in Hawk history and we get experimental.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Or Schmaltz is only expected to be out 2 games and he looked at it as an opportunity to let the guys that are up get a chance.

I just can't get worked up about 2 games of not calling up Hino. If it's for an extended period of time, I'd be more in line with your way of thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Or Schmaltz is only expected to be out 2 games and he looked at it as an opportunity to let the guys that are up get a chance.

I just can't get worked up about 2 games of not calling up Hino. If it's for an extended period of time, I'd be more in line with your way of thinking.

It's not the loss, it's how they lost and the possible physiological affect it may have on certain young players ... and it all started with roster stupidity (again) before the puck was even dropped.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's not the loss, it's how they lost and the possible physiological affect it may have on certain young players ... and it all started with roster stupidity (again) before the puck was even dropped.

What do you mean by the bolded? You are worried about Hino checking out or getting discouraged because he's starting in Rockford?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

A. Q likely doesn't make decisions on who gets called up, and when. Bowman likely is the authoritative figure on this, as he is the one who has to figure out the cap numbers and make it work. You have no idea if Q wanted him called up and Bowman veto'd, or anything else internal related to it. So all this looks like is you continuing the narrative condemning Q for something you are purely speculating about. I'm sure Q can say "I want this guy called up to replace player X." but I doubt he has more authority on it than that.
B. If Hino was coming up for two games, and then going right back down because Schmaltz is fine, there's really no point to it, IMO. It's two games in the first week of the season... Why disrupt his "physiology" for a 48 hour period with the Hawks?

PHYSIOLOGICAL :characteristic of or appropriate to an organism's healthy or normal functioning
  • the sodium level was physiological
So Hino isn't going to function normally due to not getting called up for two games? :huh:

Do you mean psychological? Because I doubt that not getting called up for a two game period in the first week of a new season is going to scar Hino for life. If it does, he doesn't belong on the Hawks roster, anways.

Last edited:
Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Bobby is talking about the mixing of line impacting the mental "state" of the 3 of the 4 lines while bringing up Hino only impacts 1 line opposed to 3.

Personally, I think bringing up Hino would have been the right move.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think Bobby is talking about the mixing of line impacting the mental "state" of the 3 of the 4 lines while bringing up Hino only impacts 1 line opposed to 3.

Personally, I think bringing up Hino would have been the right move.

I wouldn't have minded it either, but IF its only 2 games, and that's all it is at this point, I don't think it's a big deal. If it's for an extended period of time, I would like Hino up as well, although I'm not nearly as high on him as a lot of people are. But he does have speed like Schmaltz so I get giving it a shot.

And I think ChiHawks makes a good point that this is likely just as much a Stan decision as it is a Q one.

As for the mental state? I don't buy it at all. These are professional athletes. Playing up a line for 2 games isn't going to send them into a mental funk. The argument that the Hawks would be better off on the ice with Hino at C is a valid one. The mental stuff is just filling in the blanks to fit a narrative.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Yes I meant psychological (can never spell that right and auto correct kicked in).... and I wasn't referring to Hino necessarily, though I'm sure he was hoping. He is already demoralized - his interview in RFD certainly indicated that.

No, I was referring to the young Blackhawks who were humiliated last night. Not on the scoreboard, but make no mistake, that was a beat down of 2016 playoff proportions. Let's hope it can be forgotten and for a bounce back tonight.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
/\ Yes I meant psychological (can never spell that right and auto correct kicked in).... and I wasn't referring to Hino necessarily, though I'm sure he was hoping. He is already demoralized - his interview in RFD certainly indicated that.

No, I was referring to the young Blackhawks who were humiliated last night. Not on the scoreboard, but make no mistake, that was a beat down of 2016 playoff proportions. Let's hope it can be forgotten and for a bounce back tonight.

Thought it might have been psychological that you meant.

Personally, I don't think it should affect him that much. He got beat out by better players. He should be working harder to make an impression so he can be brought up at some point, not wallowing in his sorrow of not making the team. I think Hayden and Cat both deserved to be on the roster over him. Bouma and Wingels have proven to be perfectly fine on the 4th line, so he'd be taking a spot from one of them, and personally I don't mind having their veteran leadership/experience on that 4th line. They've been good there.

As far as them being humiliated, these guys are professional athletes. It's part of their job to have a short memory when it comes to these types of things. I expect a solid outing/bounce back game from the whole team.

Calling up and sending guys down isn't really Q's job. And who we putting on waivers to recall Hino? Oesterle?

The first part is my main thought on it.

The second part is another good point. Someone the Hawks likely don't want to lose would have to go on waivers, as Schmaltz is not being put on IR at all. So that says to me that one, Schmaltz will be good to go within the week, and two, that they are high enough on the young guys rostered that they don't want to lose one for nothing.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The psychological impact appeared to affect the vets more than the youth...Just look at the turds Kane and Keith laid.

Still, I can hardly blame Q for *trying* AA with Kane; it worked the lats 2 years. And while It certainly didn't help the AA was slowing Kane and Hartman down it didn't help that Kane also looked so disinterested the could have been mistaken for Boynton out there.

It's one game early and in all fairness, Rutta, Forsberg, and Saad looked great. The fact the lineup was blown is in the past...what matters now is what, if anything, Q does to correct it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

It's one game... Do you seriously think ONE game is going to haunt these guys forever? Come on. It's not the first, and certainly won't be the last time they get humiliated.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
It's one game... Do you seriously think ONE game is going to haunt these guys forever? Come on. It's not the first, and certainly won't be the last time they get humiliated.

Bobby tends to drama queen stuff so best ignore him. He's also the same poster that said McDonough ordered the Bhawks to go "All In" and move up in the NHL draft to create a show for the fans for marketing purposes when the draft was in Chicago this past offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->