Coach Q on thin ice?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That's been known since the collapse versus Nashville. This team has cup aspirations and if Q isn't getting it done, management will look to someone who can.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I can't believe he would be fired during the season. If the team misses the playoffs I could see it next offseason.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The friction between Q and Bowman has been rumored and explicitly reported since 2012.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There's essentially always friction between a coach and a GM, so I wouldn't read into that in the least bit.

As for Q on the hot seat, there were rumors that Q was almost canned back in 2012 I believe during a losing skid (I do not have a source for that, so might be misremembering things). That being said, this organization is still in win now mode, so if we have a third straight first round exit (or if we fail to make the playoffs) I wouldn't be surprised if Bowman wanted to hit the reset button from behind the bench and bring somebody else in. If we advance out of the first round though, I wouldn't expect Q to be canned.

Tl;dnr prediction: Hawks advanced to the second round or beyond, Q will still be the coach in 2018-19. If first round or worse, someone new will be our coach while Q is hired in that ensuing offseason or early in 2018-19 by someone else.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I just want the same changes Bowman requested and that were shown on the ice in the preseason: more aggressive forechecking and better PP/PK systems. I don't give a damn who is coaching. If Q can't make the change work, then get someone who can, especially with all of the young guys we have. Plus, I don't like hearing how the young guys felt the team was clicky. Get everyone on the same page.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
On NHL Now, E.J. Hradek just suggested Joel Quenneville may be fired if the Hawks don't do well early this season. He also mentioned the friction between Q and Bowman. Thoughts?
I agree and reckon Q's job should be under scrutiny beginning tomorrow. But if it happens, I still think it will be reported as Q's decision.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There is a reason they brought JC to Rockford (hot up and coming coach) and hired two new assistant coaches.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There is a reason they brought JC to Rockford (hot up and coming coach) and hired two new assistant coaches.
Yes, the reason is because Ted Dent never developed much anything and got pissy when no nhl future taken was traded away.

Hiring a no NA coaching experience 32 year old doesn't impact the NHL coach anytime soon. JC isn't likely seen as a replacement possibility for a few years.

Hiring an experienced coach to Rockford would of been an actual red signal to Qs job status. And not hiring another Whalers friend and the brother of the coach Q won a cup with and coached with in Colorado. But these aren't doom lingering hires that were made. They all lean toward Q staying a few more years

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes, the reason is because Ted Dent never developed much anything and got pissy when no nhl future taken was traded away.

Hiring a no NA coaching experience 32 year old doesn't impact the NHL coach anytime soon. JC isn't likely seen as a replacement possibility for a few years.

Hiring an experienced coach to Rockford would of been an actual red signal to Qs job status. And not hiring another Whalers friend and the brother of the coach Q won a cup with and coached with in Colorado. But these aren't doom lingering hires that were made. They all lean toward Q staying a few more years

Sometimes I hate hearing logic, but it's difficult to argue with the above.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i will still preach this, he will not be fired b/c of the money owed to him.

how much is his salary and the contracted yrs??

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I am not talking JC taking over right away (I was not clear). I am talking about KD taking over with Ulf and Granato then transitioning to JC later down the road (1-2 years). KD is well regarded and so is Ulf so it would provide stability in the short term. Ulf and KD are head coach candidates around the league. Sorry I did not explain more clearly.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
while you make a nice point about the org, but 6 mil per yr until the season of 2019-2020 is a little too much to deal with. esp in the venue of profit and lost in the team revenue.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/20...contract-extension-blackhawks-head-coach-2016

If they thought firing Q would help the team win or was in the best interest of the team the would do it without hesitation. Where are you getting that this is too much to deal with?

Again the Hawks are not a budget penny-pinching team.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Money won't be a Problem. If they have a bad Stretch and are on the bubble, I think we might see Coach Q stepping down because of reasons. That's nicer said than he's fired or "promoted" to a better Job in mgmt.

The new Coaches have nothing to do with Q staying or leaving. RFD needed a Change as the Hawks needed with Kitchen. None of them screams new HC to me.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If they thought firing Q would help the team win or was in the best interest of the team the would do it without hesitation. Where are you getting that this is too much to deal with?

Again the Hawks are not a budget penny-pinching team.
again i mention that i am looking at this from the financial pov. i like the idea that fans blows the budgetary part of the sports into some kind of non-entity. the owners do need to look at that part of their business. they ate what 4 mil + in the bickell era, due to bad gm decisions.

re of there i am getting this from, businesses needs to max their profit. just b/c my opinion doesn't agree with yours, that still doesn't mean it is not true. unless you or others have inside information ??

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
again i mention that i am looking at this from the financial pov. i like the idea that fans blows the budgetary part of the sports into some kind of non-entity. the owners do need to look at that part of their business. they ate what 4 mil + in the bickell era, due to bad gm decisions.

re of there i am getting this from, businesses needs to max their profit. just b/c my opinion doesn't agree with yours, that still doesn't mean it is not true. unless you or others have inside information ??

Rocky has already shown the performance of the team on the ice is more important than fiscal performance. You yourself give proof of the team doing so. The Blackhawks are just a small part of a highly profitable corporation.

If Dollar Bill was the owner sure but Rocky has shown the opposite to what you are saying.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Rocky has already shown the performance of the team on the ice is more important than fiscal performance. You yourself give proof of the team doing so. The Blackhawks are just a small part of a highly profitable corporation.

If Dollar Bill was the owner sure but Rocky has shown the opposite to what you are saying.
so unless you have proof of direct knowledge, then all this is circumstantial and needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

this is a forum that provides this world of fans to voice their opinions, and this, including mine is all opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad