Coach Q on thin ice?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What message did he send exactly? This was the Hawk's D worst performance of the season. If Q was sending a "message" tonight, it was that Forsling is not ready, Rutta is ready, and they need a vet. LD.

I get that you are running out straws to grasp at but come on. This is almost as bad as your "I am suprised Crawford played well against the Canadians" comment.

In regards to Hammer, he has looked similar to how he looked the last half of the season last year but playing in AZ is not helping (2nd worst adv. numbers on the team?). Murphy has been steady so far and solid defensively nothing to write home about but just fine in a second pairing.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
What message did he send exactly? This was the Hawk's D worst performance of the season. If Q was sending a "message" tonight, it was that Forsling is not ready, Rutta is ready, and they need a vet. LD.

I get that you are running out straws to grasp at but come on. This is almost as bad as your "I am suprised Crawford played well against the Canadians" comment.

In regards to Hammer, he has looked similar to how he looked the last half of the season last year but playing in AZ is not helping (2nd worst adv. numbers on the team?). Murphy has been steady so far and solid defensively nothing to write home about but just fine in a second pairing.

Anyone who thinks that Murphy is anywhere close to Hammer level is kidding them self, Hammer had 2 medicore months is ALL of his time in Chicago, it seems like everyone on the team is allowed to have a downtime but when Hammer has it well then "he is getting old and on the decline" come on now man, that is pure just running up in arms to stick up for Bowman, that move was extrtemely stupid. Also what do you expect Hammer to do exactly in a team of chumps in AZ? I dont understand why people just cant accept the cold hard truth that Stan makes idiotic moves, many of them.

About Crawford, he seems to have gained a step in terms of his quickness and athleticism and taht goes to all the games he has played this year and not just to this *Canadiens" win, I am happy that he has, seems like he and Toews have actually lost some weight over the summer and that has helped their game tremendously. I dont want to speak too early but I like how both are looking from the small sample. I call a spade a spade, I dont like to sugar coat things, if I see changes I say them.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Anyone who thinks that Murphy is anywhere close to Hammer level is kidding them self, Hammer had 2 medicore months is ALL of his time in Chicago, it seems like everyone on the team is allowed to have a downtime but when Hammer has it well then "he is getting old and on the decline" come on now man, that is pure just running up in arms to stick up for Bowman, that move was extrtemely stupid. Also what do you expect Hammer to do exactly in a team of chumps in AZ? I dont understand why people just cant accept the cold hard truth that Stan makes idiotic moves, many of them.

About Crawford, he seems to have gained a step in terms of his quickness and athleticism and taht goes to all the games he has played this year and not just to this *Canadiens" win, I am happy that he has, seems like he and Toews have actually lost some weight over the summer and that has helped their game tremendously. I dont want to speak too early but I like how both are looking from the small sample. I call a spade a spade, I dont like to sugar coat things, if I see changes I say them.
i have been stating this for a long time, well ok at least 2 yrs plus this hockey season. however for the hammer trade, without knowing more of the potential to actually trade him, among other teams, i can see that this may be the best the hawks got.

really does anyone really think many teams would be knocking on the door for his services ??

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No one has claimed that they look the same. Hammer is obviously the better player now but the trade is not for right now, the trade is for the future. Murphy has the potential to be a solid 2-3 defensive defender who is locked into a cheap long term deal. He has been steady so far and the talent is obviously there. I don’t know how you can’t understand the concept of why the trade was made. Hammer is declining and Murphy is on the up swing of his career. Hammer also is due a new deal soon that we could never afford (even if you get rid of the Seabrook deal because Hartman, Rutta, Schmaltz, and the rest of the young guys need new deals).

Crawford looks no different than he did before his injury last season and not it looks like he is 100% recovered from the injury. Nothing has changed there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TorMenT

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No one has claimed that they look the same. Hammer is obviously the better player now but the trade is not for right now, the trade is for the future. Murphy has the potential to be a solid 2-3 defensive defender who is locked into a cheap long term deal. He has been steady so far and the talent is obviously there. I don’t know how you can’t understand the concept of why the trade was made. Hammer is declining and Murphy is on the up swing of his career. Hammer also is due a new deal soon that we could never afford (even if you get rid of the Seabrook deal because Hartman, Rutta, Schmaltz, and the rest of the young guys need new deals).

Crawford looks no different than he did before his injury last season and not it looks like he is 100% recovered from the injury. Nothing has changed there.
at the time of the trade, this is the best the hawks was able to get. so within that scope, as a fan, i am not going to expect the world for hammer. the player hammer, as you have posted is in the backside of his career, and with every successful team, the value of the team players is going up.

so i can live with the rtn SB got.,

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Is it my imagination or did we go through all of this before on the old board? A certain poster, same one actually, saying he didn't see any reports of the possible McD plan to move up Hawks in the draft ... and other posters followed up by presenting multiple links from valid sources.

I don't remember for sure, but these boards sure do love to rehash old arguments, lol.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q has many faults. ..For years I have complained that in our zone the times we do get the puck ,there are inexcusable and too frequent FTC'S. ..failure to clear the puck out of the zone..Q teaches only to pass it out ..never skate itbout or vat least to an open spot where you can do that..so it enter goes around and up the boards and gets kept in too often as this gains. .or it goes to the middle of the nice where if the C is outbox position or to slow to get the puck or has no first step to evade a checker it gets kept in by intercept or opponents getting to.loosenpucks first ..whatever the Q system fails far too much to get pucks out effeciently when most teams can execute such a simple item...He tolerates tailure his basic hockey Necessary ability ..FTC, is a stat the NHL does not keep but I am certain we lead the league every year in such fails to clear when the opportunity is there to clear ..It infuriates me to see these botched attempts because pkayer's keep using the methods Q teaches ...around the boards past the points (never seems to get past the points) or into the middle where our C is supposed to then clear it but these get botched too often as well. Q needsctobadd look at how so many other teams seem to be able to execute a clear properly...you get the puck ..you slate it to an open patch in your zo e ..then you fire it down the ice through the biggest clear gap ..Bit..no ..Q insists on his way and we get incompetent clearing far too often.

Another fault of Q..I call Country Club tolerance of lazy play or disinterested play ..especialky by certain highly paid vets...He never seems to punish then bit instead will take itout by benching a rookie or sophomore kid or limiting their minutes if they screw up ..

Thirdly ,he fails to. MOTIVTE ...his guys too often fail to EXERT for a full 60 ..Instead we only get portions of a game where they try hard ....We should be seeing a team ready to start on time and finish strong with at least decent efforts in the middle of games too. OF course opponents will compete hard ..so should to.match their effort when they Exert a bit more at various times in a game..but Q tolerates too many lax play portions of games ..yes there are some games I the grind where the team is all tired ..top many games without rest in a compacted section of the schedule. ..I get it..but there has been far to many wait to flip a switch type games with Q where we still win in refutation or OT or Shoot-out where rally we only played hard for 10-15 minutes ...Maybe an entire period ... This too is infuriating.

THEN his personnel and deployment decisions are often baffling ...

So while n9 ooach is flawless,Q has enough flaws to invite speculation that he could be on thin ice if things go badly ...you cannot win every game
..nobody asks for that unreal expectation. .but the eyeball test of how our team is playing and competing will raise the "thin ice" for Q question 8f the eyeball sees slackers or too much incompetence on display.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good job by Q sending a message to Stan by sitting the worst D-Man on the team. Stan got rid of the best stay at home shot blocking D-Man on the team in Hammer(here comes the he's getting older and he had a bad couple months white knights to stick up for Stan) in return for an average 3rd pairing D . This team as it stands right now is a Hammer away from having real solid contending defense but Stan has to blow it over and over again.

So 4 games into the season, we know who the worst d-man on the team is, and that Stan "blew it" with the trade? :laugh:

Back to ignore you go!:thumbu:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I will agree that murphy is not going to be as good as hammer was 24-28 which is the years he is locked up. Who is going to be a better player over the next 5 years and how much will they cost? Murphy 24,25,26,27,28 and costs 3.9 for all those years or Hammer 30,31,32,33,34 and will probably AVG 4.9 for those 5 years factoring in a raise to about 5.25 in 2 years. I love hammer but anybody that does not think he is slowing down is kidding themelves this is his 11th season and has played over 750 games including playoffs and was not an elite athlete even when he was young. we are not trading 25 hammer for Murphy.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
we as fans need to accept that the Bhawks players are getting older and will slow down and will not accept the fact that the team will need to tweak the lineup / the roster.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Uh, the team did tweak the roster to get younger?
Yes, and let's give Murphy some time before any assessment. He brings a far different game than Hammer, and pretty much all of the dmen on the current roster. I like his tendency to play physically - if done correctly and he picks his spots and if Q let's him play the way he wants to, Murph can be a real good asset

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad