Value of: Claude Giroux

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Kyle Turris/ Derrick Brassard + picks for Giroux

Ottawa makes the most sense, as they have two goop top 6cs, and are looking for an upgrade.

I'd do something around Turris, White/Brown+ cap dumb if needed(picks accordingly), for Giroux and Laughton (young C to replace the loss of white/brown) as a framework, for sure. Turris allows us to keep patrick out of the fire and gives us a nice C prospect as well.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Ottawa makes the most sense, as they have two goop top 6cs, and are looking for an upgrade.

I'd do something around Turris, White/Brown+ cap dumb if needed(picks accordingly), for Giroux and Laughton (young C to replace the loss of white/brown) as a framework, for sure. Turris allows us to keep patrick out of the fire and gives us a nice C prospect as well.

I doubt they trade Turris AND White/Brown. More than likely it's one of the 3 plus picks/prospects and whatever cap dump they need to send to make it work on their end.

However, knowing the Sens, I highly doubt they are interested in G salary

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I doubt they trade Turris AND White/Brown. More than likely it's one of the 3 plus picks/prospects and whatever cap dump they need to send to make it work on their end.

The salary is probably too high for the owner, I agree. I know they won't like adding brown or white, but i'd be interested in acquiring one of them as well, maybe the deal gets a little larger (Blues deferred pick?), but something like that would be ideal for me.

Id certainly be open to just something around Turris + as well, though.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

well, we do have Ryan and Phaneuf under contract done we :naughty::naughty:

Giroux would be a perfect fit in Ottawa really. As a sens fan I would move Turris/Brassard (+) or Brown/White + 1st (+) as a base for sure. I know hes expensive and has declined..but he is still a legit number 1 and a big game performer.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Giroux has more value for Philly than for any other team in the league, including the Habs.

Of course, I'm not the Habs GM, but if the Habs aren't willing to pay what the Flyers want to get Giroux, my guess is...no one else is.

I dont know how you arrived at that conclusion... Habs do not have the young c and nice prospect Philly would want IF they would put Giroux on the market.

Mtl is only 1 of 31 teams. Nothing more.

Ottawa seems a better fit already than CG for Plekanec + a pick or CG + 1st pick for Galchenyuk found in this nice thread.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I dont see the Flyers trading Giroux now because he had a poor season and his value is low. If he bounces back this coming season they should definitely move him

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Value for Giroux only gets less from here on out. Nobody will trade you a top 2 center for Giroux at this point. Your lucky some Habs fans are offering Patch. I don't too many other fans offering you more do I? That should be your sign that Giroux is good but no longer the player he was and his contract is massive for what your going to get!

Open your eyes.

And getting back to the link from the OP, it was perfectly clear Mtl was not part of the rumors heard by Mckenzie.

That should be your sign to embrace the Yakupov thread now. ;)

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I dont know how you arrived at that conclusion... Habs do not have the young c and nice prospect Philly would want IF they would put Giroux on the market.

Mtl is only 1 of 31 teams. Nothing more.

Ottawa seems a better fit already than CG for Plekanec + a pick or CG + 1st pick for Galchenyuk found in this nice thread.

Yeah this is something else HabsGorgeous isn't understanding. There are 30 other teams that have more to offer in a deal for Giroux, Voracek, or Simmonds.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I love how internet GMs think Giroux's value is low right now. I bet there isn't a single real GM who thinks that way.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the fair assessment. I still think Giroux is at least a solid 60 pts center (possibly more under the right circumstances). I have him around this number for the rest of his current contract (age 29-35). This is not a knock on Giroux. It's just reality of how players decline in their early 30's. There are exceptions though and your 100% right... Giroux's next year is a big rebound year for him.

With Couturier, Filppula, and now Patrick, there is depth at center behind Giroux. You also have Konecny, Lehtera, Rubtsov, Laberge. There will be teams knocking on the door for Giroux.

There is depth behind Giroux, but we need someone in that spot to help shelter Patrick instead of "RNH" him.

Couts will take on other teams top lines.
Giroux will take on teams top defensive units
That leaves Patrick not having to do either, which is great for him.
Flip likely is moved to wing and is there in case an injury occurs. Only here 1 year anyways.

Konecny, Rubstov and Laberge all played wing last year and the last 2 are years away.

Lehtera or Laughton is likely the 4th line C.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I would prefer Giroux over Duchene if I were the Habs. I think they would be willing to do Galchenyuk +.

With the Flyers having Patrick & Filpulla I could see trading for Giroux for Galchenyuk as a base would make some sense. Not sure what the + would be. Philly seems happy with their D prospects...I don't know if they need a goalie prospect or if the habs have one to offer.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I love how internet GMs think Giroux's value is low right now. I bet there isn't a single real GM who thinks that way.

Well there were coaches and GMs who thought there were better players for the 2014 Olympics and who thought he should be a healthy scratch during most World Cup games.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
well, we do have Ryan and Phaneuf under contract done we :naughty::naughty:

Giroux would be a perfect fit in Ottawa really. As a sens fan I would move Turris/Brassard (+) or Brown/White + 1st (+) as a base for sure. I know hes expensive and has declined..but he is still a legit number 1 and a big game performer.

Ryan's contract would be tough to swallow, given that turris will likely ask for 6mil (as a guess?) on his next contract - any word on what hes looking for yet?

If 6 mil is accurate, thats 13 mil coming to the flyers long term. We'd only be sending back 8, something would have to give. How long is Phaneuf under contract for?

Giroux and Amac for Turris, Phaneuf, White. :sarcasm:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would prefer Giroux over Duchene if I were the Habs. I think they would be willing to do Galchenyuk +.

With the Flyers having Patrick & Filpulla I could see trading for Giroux for Galchenyuk as a base would make some sense. Not sure what the + would be. Philly seems happy with their D prospects...I don't know if they need a goalie prospect or if the habs have one to offer.

A dream scenario for the Flyers would involve Galchenyuk and McCarron for Giroux and a plus. Maybe someone like Hagg, considering th Habs just traded their best D prospect in Sergachev.

The Flyers are looking for size on the wings (hence the Ratcliffe and Strome selections) and McCarron would be a good fit in Philly.

Replacing Galchenyuk, McCarron and Sergachev with Giroux and Drouin certainly gives the Habs 2 potent weapons for their "win-now" mentality. With Weber approaching 32 and Price not getting any younger, the Habs need to go all-in for their Cup over the next 3 years.

With all the pressure on Bergevin to bring in proven performers, I think Giroux is an easy sell. The Canadiens have been lacking a true, #1 center for years - Giroux is clearly that. Not to mention, Pacioretty will be BY FAR the best shooter Giroux ever had the chance to play with in the NHL. I could see monster numbers from both Giroux and Pacioretty, plus an amazing PP.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Is HabsGorgeous still in here offering Plekanec + Beaulieu + Juulsen?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
A dream scenario for the Flyers would involve Galchenyuk and McCarron for Giroux and a plus. Maybe someone like Hagg, considering th Habs just traded their best D prospect in Sergachev.

Replacing Galchenyuk, McCarron and Sergachev with Giroux and Drouin certainly gives the Habs 2 potent weapons for their "win-now" mentality. With Weber approaching 32 and Price not getting any younger, the Habs need to go all-in for their Cup over the next 3 years.

With all the pressure on Bergevin to bring in proven performers, I think Giroux is an easy sell. The Canadiens have been lacking a true, #1 center for years - Giroux is clearly that. Not to mention, Pacioretty will be BY FAR the best shooter Giroux ever had the chance to play with in the NHL. I could see monster numbers from both Giroux and Pacioretty, plus an amazing PP.

Sounds more like a dream scenario for Mtl!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

The Flyers are looking for size on the wings (hence the Ratcliffe and Strome selections) and McCarron would be a good fit in Philly.

A dream scenario for the Flyers is to trade their 1C and a good D prospect for...two more wingers, or a winger and a 3C, depending on how you view McCarron? Good god.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I've read through this and still don't have a clear picture. From a Flyers fan perspective what are the Flyers needs? If they were to trade Giroux...who do they think could put together a package that would entice them? What would be the base of said package?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I've read through this and still don't have a clear picture. From a Flyers fan perspective what are the Flyers needs? If they were to trade Giroux...who do they think could put together a package that would entice them? What would be the base of said package?

I'm going to be nice and just quote my original post to HabsG when he said we wouldnt say, and ill let you go from there.

If you actually read the replies, instead of just blindly posting replies about Giroux's decline in production - which we've all acknowledgerd by the way, theres no need to constantly repeat it - we've spelled out what our needs are, in a Giroux trade.

A Top 6 C with upside to replace Giroux's minutes, because we arent willing to throw Patrick to the wolves. The quality of that C, and age/contract would dertermine who adds. But that's it. If you don't think hes worth that, thats fine. But that is what the flyers NEED, and have no desire, or inclination, to sell him for anything else. Continue to post how you'd send Pacioretty out for him, and you'll be met with the same response. Our needs don't change - your offer has to. Full stop.

Edit: For the other part of your question, see post 226 and ensuing responses from an ottawa fan.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

My take: A younger c with 1c potential, a forward prospect and a pick.
Big price. Because he is not shopped at all. Only getting incoming calls.
So many teams could use him, i suggest you look at the Ottawa info a few posts up.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Negative value? :facepalm:
These are the reasons why people don't visit us.

If Philly wants to have a successful transition they won't trade him for at least 3 more years. You don't trade him now where his value is low and is even lowered by Duchene, Galchenyuk currently on the market.( I say this because they are easier to acquire.) He is much better than those two though I don't think many teams have the pieces left to acquire Claude. He won't go unless the package too good to pass up.

c'mon he's over 29, he aint worth it anymore, he'll be a 4th line tweener by 31 y/o. a team will have him and a 1st for a 7th... that's how low his value is... he aint worth it.

FFS, even Crosby had a thread this year about retirement :rant:

according to HFB, to play in the NHL you have to be:
28y/o or younger
be on a 8yrs contract at 3M AAV or lower
all 1st round pick will be future superstar and will be on the top line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad