Value of: Claude Giroux

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I've read through this and still don't have a clear picture. From a Flyers fan perspective what are the Flyers needs? If they were to trade Giroux...who do they think could put together a package that would entice them? What would be the base of said package?

I think most Flyers fans agree that Giroux has more value to the Flyers than he does on the trade market. It's pretty simple.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A dream scenario for the Flyers would involve Galchenyuk and McCarron for Giroux and a plus. Maybe someone like Hagg, considering th Habs just traded their best D prospect in Sergachev.

The Flyers are looking for size on the wings (hence the Ratcliffe and Strome selections) and McCarron would be a good fit in Philly.

Replacing Galchenyuk, McCarron and Sergachev with Giroux and Drouin certainly gives the Habs 2 potent weapons for their "win-now" mentality. With Weber approaching 32 and Price not getting any younger, the Habs need to go all-in for their Cup over the next 3 years.

With all the pressure on Bergevin to bring in proven performers, I think Giroux is an easy sell. The Canadiens have been lacking a true, #1 center for years - Giroux is clearly that. Not to mention, Pacioretty will be BY FAR the best shooter Giroux ever had the chance to play with in the NHL. I could see monster numbers from both Giroux and Pacioretty, plus an amazing PP.

You say you are a flyers fan yet all you do is post bad deals for them.

Reactions: Curufinwe

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
I thought Ottawa should have been in on Schenn. Felt like a good fit and versatile piece for Guy Boucher at a reasonable price

Now they should be hot after Giroux. I'd rather give up Brassard than Turris despite the fact that it'd mean Ottawa would be righty heavy at center. I don't see the Sens giving up Brassard and White/Brown in a package though, so don't know if a deal really works.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think most Flyers fans agree that Giroux has more value to the Flyers than he does on the trade market. It's pretty simple.
For sure...he has declined 3 yrs in a row...his team doesn't make the playoffs, and he is at 8.25M It's all going the wrong way...he stays put, and the Flyers, hope he gets his second wind...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

This is accurate. Other teams are only looking to acquire him in the hopes of him bouncing back to a respectable ppg this year.

We're hoping for that, as well as some mentorship to Patrick, among other things (marketing, etc). In order to acquire him, you'll have to reach our price, not the market price.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i cannot wait for the season to start and Giroux to get back to his 70+ point self so all this garbage about him declining can stop.

he's not getting traded either, unless it's an absolutely massive overpayment.

Reactions: Curufinwe

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
For sure...he has declined 3 yrs in a row...his team doesn't make the playoffs, and he is at 8.25M It's all going the wrong way...he stays put, and the Flyers, hope he gets his second wind...

The current core has also been surrounded with mediocre talent the last 3-4 years because the organization has put an emphasis on drafting and developing. With what they have in place and then luckily landing Patrick, they don't even need Giroux to play at an elite level again. He'll be out in a position where all he will have to do is produce offensively. He won't have to take every important face off, he'll get the easiest matchups, and he'll be playing with much better wingers and defensemen that can actually create offense.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
i cannot wait for the season to start and Giroux to get back to his 70+ point self so all this garbage about him declining can stop.

he's not getting traded either, unless it's an absolutely massive overpayment.

It's really just 2 people who are dead set on being right over tons of people who see every game he plays.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The current core has also been surrounded with mediocre talent the last 3-4 years because the organization has put an emphasis on drafting and developing. With what they have in place and then luckily landing Patrick, they don't even need Giroux to play at an elite level again. He'll be out in a position where all he will have to do is produce offensively. He won't have to take every important face off, he'll get the easiest matchups, and he'll be playing with much better wingers and defensemen that can actually create offense.

This really is key. Look at the defense before Ghost and Prov came along, and even last year witb so much gatbage around them (besides Gudas). Look at Jake and G carrying Raffl around on the first line for dozens of games at a time. Look at the fact that they haven't had a proper 2nd line scoring center since Briere left.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I just don't see the Flyers trading Giroux at his current value. There's no reason to trade away your best player for pennies on the dollar while most likely eating salary. The only way I can see them moving him would be if he has a 70ish point season paired with Patrick coming in producing right away at a 60 point pace while Rubtsov explodes in Chicoutimi. If that happens then maybe Hexy thinks they can go into the '18-'19 season with Patrick, Couturier, and Rubtsov down the middle. Even then it would have to be a nice package including a young goal scoring winger that can plug and play top line minutes.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
While the Flyers aren't exactly going all in given the pivot away from Schenn, there is still potential for some magic with the additions of Patrick/Lindblom/Sanheim/Morin/etc.

We could make a significant push given enough standout performances and trading Giroux would only get in the way of that.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
well, we do have Ryan and Phaneuf under contract done we :naughty::naughty:

Giroux would be a perfect fit in Ottawa really. As a sens fan I would move Turris/Brassard (+) or Brown/White + 1st (+) as a base for sure. I know hes expensive and has declined..but he is still a legit number 1 and a big game performer.

I think that the Sens are one of the few teams that it would actually make sense for them to acquire G AND that they could put together a package that would interest the Flyers.

I still don't think it gets done but at least this scenario makes a little bit of sense

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's really just 2 people who are dead set on being right over tons of people who see every game he plays.

Your delusional. There are more than 2 people who are concerned about Giroux and his decline in stats over the last few seasons.

How does this sound to you if a Habs fan said this. Pleky is due for a rebound year. He's still a very good center and I expect him to be back to 40-50 pts next season.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I've read through this and still don't have a clear picture. From a Flyers fan perspective what are the Flyers needs? If they were to trade Giroux...who do they think could put together a package that would entice them? What would be the base of said package?

Have you missed the 8-10 posts between Sens fans and Flyers fans??? Because it's spelt out pretty clearly with them actually offering what we said we'd be looking for and both sides feel comfortable with the idea as a base. How much salary the Sens have to send back and what additional picks/prospects would need included we both feel we could work out

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Your delusional. There are more than 2 people who are concerned about Giroux and his decline in stats over the last few seasons.

How does this sound to you if a Habs fan said this. Pleky is due for a rebound year. He's still a very good center and I expect him to be back to 40-50 pts next season.

Why do you want the Habs to trade for Giroux?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

I don't find that to be unreasonable even given the fact that he'll be 35.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Last I checked, Giroux isn't a left wing. If you want to argue he should have made that team over someone else, then compare him to the centers and right wings.

You didnt say that. you said that Gms and coaches passed him over. And yes, i'd take him over duchene, and would have then, as well. You could make an argument that perry only made it because of his chemsitry with Getzlaf, and that Giroux would have been the better option.

Also, its not as though Team canada is an easy team to make. There were some pretty talented people left off that roster.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why do you want the Habs to trade for Giroux?

Because of a few reasons.

- Flyers are stacked up the middle. They may not be ready to trade Giroux but they have solid depth after Giroux.

- Flyers can use the Cap space to improve their team.

- Habs need a top 2 center.

- I'm concerned with Giroux and his decline over the last few seasons but I still think he is a 60 pts center for the rest of his contract (age 30-34)

- Patch helps the Flyers on LW and his contract is one of the best in the league. Hate to trade Patch but he's the guy we get our best return for in a trade. Flyers can try to re sign him or trade him at the trade deadline 2 seasons from now and he would fetch quite the return!

I just look across the league and Giroux's name will keep popping up due to Flyers depth at center, his decline in stats, and his contract. I'm not the only one who has noticed this and won't be the last.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Sounds reasonable to me, actually. He had a bad year, with a lot of fluctuations in theHabs roster and coaching change. IT wouldnt surprise me at all to see Pleky move back up to above 40 points.

To the bolded: you keep making this about Giroux slip in production. Which we have ALL acknowledged. Yes, it affects his trade value. But for the last time:

WE ARE UNDER NO PRESSURE TO MOVE HIM, SO WE WILL SET THE PRICE.

We dont have cap troubles. We dont have any important pieces to sign for a few years(even if we did, Trading Schenn helped with that), and we have no one on the team to take hjis minutes, as it stands right now.

Therefore, if you want him, you'll pay our price, not the market price. You arent getting Giroux at a bargain. He isnt expendable. I really am trying to be reasonable here, but for some reason you just wont let that sink in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sounds reasonable to me, actually. He had a bad year, with a lot of fluctuations in theHabs roster and coaching change. IT wouldnt surprise me at all to see Pleky move back up to above 40 points.

To the bolded: you keep making this about Giroux slip in production. Which we have ALL acknowledged. Yes, it affects his trade value. But for the last time:

WE ARE UNDER NO PRESSURE TO MOVE HIM, SO WE WILL SET THE PRICE.

We dont have cap troubles. We dont have any important pieces to sign for a few years(even if we did, Trading Schenn helped with that), and we have no one on the team to take hjis minutes, as it stands right now.

Therefore, if you want him, you'll pay our price, not the market price. You arent getting Giroux at a bargain. He isnt expendable. I really am trying to be reasonable here, but for some reason you just wont let that sink in.

Relax, it's just conversations. Lets talk in 12 months. You may be right or you may be wrong ;). That contract is massive and lets see how much Giroux rebounds.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You didnt say that. you said that Gms and coaches passed him over.

Yes, and the position he plays very likely was one of the reasons he was passed over by the coaches and GM of that team.

And yes, i'd take him over duchene, and would have then, as well. You could make an argument that perry only made it because of his chemsitry with Getzlaf, and that Giroux would have been the better option.

Perry is a very good player in his own right. His chemistry with Getzlaf helps, but to suggest Perry only made the team because of Getzlaf is silly. And Duchene could play center or left wing, so that gave him an edge over Giroux.

Even if he did make the Sochi team, he's likely a healthy scratch like he was in the World Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad