Value of: Claude Giroux

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Galchenyuk for Giroux straight up.

Philly get's a bit younger, sheds some salary.

Montreal seems to be a bit more competitive now, could use a #1 C to play with Drouin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Montreal seems to be a bit more competitive now, could use a #1 C to play with Drouin.

Giroux for Galchenyuk is not a good deal for the Habs.
- 5 year age gap
- Giroux from age 29-34 at $8.275
- Galchenyuk is heading into prime years and his next contract will be nowhere near $8.275M. More like $6M (+/-)

Flyers would need to retain Salary ($1.5M-$2M) and also add. Galchenyuk for Giroux ($1.75M retained), and 2018 1st. You may not like the deal and that's ok but this is the only way we trade Galchenyuk for a older center on a bad contract.

Last edited:

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Negative value? :facepalm:
These are the reasons why people don't visit us.

If Philly wants to have a successful transition they won't trade him for at least 3 more years. You don't trade him now where his value is low and is even lowered by Duchene, Galchenyuk currently on the market.( I say this because they are easier to acquire.) He is much better than those two though I don't think many teams have the pieces left to acquire Claude. He won't go unless the package too good to pass up.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
His production decline is obviously a concern, but the idea that he has negative value is rather laughable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Embarrassing.

Just embarrassing.

His production decline is obviously a concern, but the idea that he has negative value is rather laughable.

I don't agree he has negative value but I do agree that it's a massive risk acquiring his contract. I've talked to many other fans of other teams and most people who are not Flyer fans agree that it's a major risk. Flyers take a bit of bite if they want to unload that contract with a declining player

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I don't agree he has negative value but I do agree that it's a massive risk acquiring his contract. I've talked to many other fans of other teams and most people who are not Flyer fans agree that it's a major risk. Flyers take a bit of bite if they want to unload that contract for a declining player

I can tell you this. If Philly is trading Giroux it's not because they are unloading him, it's because another team like the Habs for example have offered up a package too good to be true. Yes because of the cap there may be some retention but that would only mean more value coming back.

Giroux will once again prove that he is a top 10 centre in the league this year and these threads will lie dormant until the 2019 off-season where he may have had a year not as good as his previous. Rinse repeat add a little salt, congrats you made HF Forum Cheese!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

As a Habs fan I really hope that never happens. I'd rather the Habs just keep Galchenyuk instead of taking on the 6 years older and declining Giroux and the remainder of that contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can tell you this. If Philly is trading Giroux it's not because they are unloading him, it's because another team like the Habs for example have offered up a package too good to be true. Yes because of the cap there may be some retention but that would only mean more value coming back.

Giroux will once again prove that he is a top 10 centre in the league this year and these threads will lie dormant until the 2019 off-season where he may have had a year not as good as his previous. Rinse repeat add a little salt, congrats you made HF Forum Cheese!

I think the Flyers would unload his contract if Giroux was willing to waive his NMC. The return will be very good but in any deal, Flyers retain salary. I just can't see teams acquiring 100% of that contract.

Personally, i like Giroux as a hockey player. He's had some injuries over the last few years that likely affected his numbers. Lets see how he does this year. Is he now a 60 pts (+/-) center or back to 70+?

Couturier and Patrick up the middle for the future. Flyers are set and the Giroux rumors are likely not going away

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Wouldn't Giroux (NMC) just nix any trade or limit possibilities significantly? Have to find a perfect fit for team and player which is tough.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia still values Giroux as the player he is when healthy. Other teams looking to acquire him would likely value him as the player he's been when playing through injury.

The gap between those two valuations is almost impossible to bridge, and without that bridge, he's staying in orange and black.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't agree he has negative value but I do agree that it's a massive risk acquiring his contract. I've talked to many other fans of other teams and most people who are not Flyer fans agree that it's a major risk. Flyers take a bit of bite if they want to unload that contract with a declining player

That's if you believe he's actually declining permanently, which I do not.

Like someone else said: Philly isn't unloading him to get rid of him. We'd be trading him because another team really wants him.

His contract isn't a problem for us. He's a #1 center in the NHL and still our best player, IMO.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wouldn't Giroux (NMC) just nix any trade or limit possibilities significantly? Have to find a perfect fit for team and player which is tough.

Hes coming off a bad season, and for the reasons above, its unlikely hes moved.

There's also the other problem of not having a 1C if we move him. Maybe Patrick gets there, But I imagine the plan is to allow G to shelter Patrick for a few years while he figures it out, then have them swap, assuming Patrick makes it.

Moving Giroux only makes sense if we're

A) Getting a return that makes it worth it, which none of the offers in the thread are

or

B) Voracek and Simmonds are made available too, and we go full blown rebuild, which is unlikely.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can't skate, beat anyone one on one, is basically a stationary player on the PP and is being paid as an elite level asset. What am I missing? His physical improvement is still a question and exactly how is his value going to increase? Flyers have to hope for the best here. Why would anyone trade for him with that cap hit? No one can be that stupid.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Giroux + Simmonds to EDM
for
Draisaitl + Pouliot

Draisaitl-Patrick-Couturier down the middle for PHI
McDavid-Giroux -RNH down the middle for EDM

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Giroux + Simmonds to EDM
for
Draisaitl + Pouliot

Draisaitl-Patrick-Couturier down the middle for PHI
McDavid-Giroux -RNH down the middle for EDM

Edmonton would never do this, but i'd explore this idea, for sure. We'd have to go find another winger, but thats easier to find than a player like Drai.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
His production has declined steadily since '12, from 1.21 ppg to 0.71 ppg. Don't know what's wrong with him but it isn't just 1 or even 2 bad seasons. He isn't worth his contract anymore.

I am not sure if there are stats that back this up but from watching him there a few reasons I believe his production has decreased:

1. Lack of a sniper: one of the biggest issues I have is that hes been paired with a pass first mentality in Voracek, or Simmonds who is a net front presence (I am only saying he is not the best fit with Giroux other than the PP). The rest of his linemates *(specifically LW) over the years have consistently changed and there has not been a LW who has contributed much.

2. lack of Centers: When coots was injured, we saw Giroux take a more defensive role, factor in that there was a lack of competent centers behind Coots and you can see why his 5v5 numbers have declined. Other teams could key in on Giroux, and not have to worry about other centers making an impact.

3. Injuries: he has had more than a few over the years and has played with some as well.

We finally have some depth at C, I expect Giroux to bounce back. He will never be a great 5v5 player, but I think its pretty obvious how important he has been to the PP over the years. 0 reason to trade him after a down year, if he does not bounce back and has another down year even with improved C depth around him and Oscar Lindblom who appears to be slated for the LW spot on Girouxs line, then we re-evaluate this in a year.

Edit: chethejet, that is a horrible take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad