Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Isnt that exactly what Tippett + '23 1st is? A 1st pick and a former 1st round pick? Why is that seen as too much for G?

A lot of fans on the Flyers board seem to think Tippett is a low IQ player thatll never reach his potential...I dont think its unreasonable to ask for a 1st on top of him since hes a risk.

Could also see a conditional 1st...if FLA makes it to rd 2 or something like that.
I think you would get a lot less pushback on the 23 1st being conditional of making the conference finals or something.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Marian Hossa or Jeff Carter. Neither got 2 first round picks. They received a 1st and a former 1st rounder as the bulk of the deal, but not 2 first round picks.

Perfect, so 2 of Tippet, 1st, Denisenko from Florida....or 2 of 1st, Barron, Olausson, Helleson from Colorado works.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I think you would get a lot less pushback on the 23 1st being conditional of making the conference finals or something.

Not exactly sure of that. GM CF seems to think the Flyers need to aggressively tool and not completely rebuild. So a 2022 1st round pick is preferable to them (even though 2023 is a better draft and neither FLA or COL has 1st rounders this year).

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Marian Hossa or Jeff Carter. Neither got 2 first round picks. They received a 1st and a former 1st rounder as the bulk of the deal, but not 2 first round picks.
Jeff Carter is not similar. Guy had like 10 years left on his contract still.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not exactly sure of that. GM CF seems to think the Flyers need to aggressively tool and not completely rebuild. So a 2022 1st round pick is preferable to them (even though 2023 is a better draft and neither FLA or COL has 1st rounders this year).
What realistic suitor has a 22 first though?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
How many more years does CG have left in the tank after this season ?
I’d bank of 3 more years of 20g-40a with solid play all around. Just a hunch but would say he could resign in Philly for 5 x 6 mil. Seems like he loves it there and never « complains » about the Cup. I’m sure he is traded for a run this year though.

Reactions: rocketdan9

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

No conditional other than top 3 protected or something. It’s pushing off a return a year. We know it’s a better draft, but the way these GMs are it’s not like a 2023 pick is going to be seen a +.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Talking to GMs around the league? Giroux likely will or has given his GM a list of no more than three teams to work with. And one or two of those teams may not even want Giroux. He’s not going to list a lot of teams so he can be traded to some 6th seed like Minnesota, play 5-6 playoff games and be done with it.

think Florida, Avs and Tampa and that could be the universe of suitors. Or maybe it’s Carolina, Toronto and Florida. But it won’t be much for Phillys GM to work with.

yeah. You’re right bud. Like most other avs fans in this thread. It’ll be a 3rd rounder and Jost for Giroux. Because there will most certainly be no other teams in the mix for his services

Reactions: phil162888

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
How many more years does CG have left in the tank after this season ?
He is playing great this year. Shit team, coach, and PP or his numbers would be that much better. Certainly seems like he has years of strong production left. We all saw what he can do with actual elite teammates and some space at the all star game.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We're not a contender, but what would a trade of Giroux and Risto or Braun (two wildly different values I'd imagine) cost the Canucks?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Isnt that exactly what Tippett + '23 1st is? A 1st pick and a former 1st round pick? Why is that seen as too much for G?

A lot of fans on the Flyers board seem to think Tippett is a low IQ player thatll never reach his potential...I dont think its unreasonable to ask for a 1st on top of him since hes a risk.

Could also see a conditional 1st...if FLA makes it to rd 2 or something like that.

Oh I wasn’t disagreeing he is worth that. Just that there hasn’t been 2 first round picks going the other way.

Personally I wouldn’t want Tippett as he’s looking like he could be a bust, but I could see a deal packaged for him and a 1st.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
We're not a contender, but what would a trade of Giroux and Risto or Braun (two wildly different values I'd imagine) cost the Canucks?
Risto and Braun would fetch far different returns right or wrong. Probably a 3rd for Braun and Atleast a 2nd and B-level prospect for Risto.
Better question is why would Vancouver do that

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

He has a NMC.

He will get another contract nm what he does for the rest of this year.

If he waives and plays well, it could help his next contract
If he waives and does not play well for whatever reason, it could hurt his next contract
If he waives and gets injured, it definitely hurts his next contract

Not enough incentive to take a chance

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
yeah. You’re right bud. Like most other avs fans in this thread. It’ll be a 3rd rounder and Jost for Giroux. Because there will most certainly be no other teams in the mix for his services
I’ve heard Florida, New York and Avs. We’ll see. I think he ends up with the Panthers. I’d be just fine with that. Avs don’t really need him. They need a bigger bottom six.

if the Avs get him, a 2023 1st will be the main piece. Jost and a 3rd won’t suffice.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Risto and Braun would fetch far different returns right or wrong. Probably a 3rd for Braun and Atleast a 2nd and B-level prospect for Risto.
Better question is why would Vancouver do that

I fear our recent success will lead to a "buyer" role for us if we make up a little more space in the standings.

So the defenders are covered, and what about Giroux?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I fear our recent success will lead to a "buyer" role for us if we make up a little more space in the standings.

So the defenders are covered, and what about Giroux?
The flyers would likely be doing a hockey trade with Vancouver at that point since it sounds like that’s what Vancouver wants to do, too. Flyers need Centers and RHD. I’m assuming Horvat isn’t available

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The flyers would likely be doing a hockey trade with Vancouver at that point since it sounds like that’s what Vancouver wants to do, too. Flyers need Centers and RHD. I’m assuming Horvat isn’t available

Not for Giroux (being UFA), I'd imagine. I'd assume, in this situation, we'd be looking at a buying move, not a hockey move, but I have no read on Allvin and Rutherford yet. We have lesser RHD and Dickinson as a C other then our big guys, so I imagine we're not as good trading partners as I'd hoped.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Wherever Giroux does go, it will be to a legitimate Cup contender for this upcoming playoff season, as that is the only benefit he can get out of his NMC. Next season is not remotely on the radar.

So....Vancouver has 0% chance.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Flyers are not trading Giroux where the best asset in the deal might not even be drafted till 2024.

Come on.
More along the lines of a conditional 2nd that upgrades to a 1st depending on how far the new team goes in the playoffs

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He has a NMC.

He will get another contract nm what he does for the rest of this year.

If he waives and plays well, it could help his next contract
If he waives and does not play well for whatever reason, it could hurt his next contract
If he waives and gets injured, it definitely hurts his next contract

Not enough incentive to take a chance

Um, he can get hurt or play poorly no matter what team he is on. Over the course of his career, he's never really done either of those things, though. Not to mention, he could compete for a Cup, which he can't do on his current team.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I just don't understand why Zito has such a boner for this guy. I mean, HOFer, no doubt. But he's not prime Giroux anymore. Defense is still the team weakness, even if Lindbohm plays well. Panthers are scoring more than any team in 20+ years, we don't need another scorer. I guarantee in the playoffs we will not be able to outscore our problems, not with a middle of the road pp.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese