Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
We don’t really want quantity.
1. It's not really quantity. It's two former first rounders who are on a solid development track but are blocked by an obsene amount of offensive depth in Florida.

2. I wouldn't do this deal because the Panthers are giving up their best two forward prospects (not counting lundell as a prospect) for a rental and a player they shouldn't be looking to acquire in Bruan.
Definitely no need for that first to be conditional if you're getting Braun and G and salary retention
retention is pretty irrelevant here as Giroux is expiring.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I would offer a 2022 1st, and Daemon Hunt. Maybe a 2023 rd if the Wild advance to the Western Finals.

I sure hope that Giroux can still actually play C, though. There has to be a reason that guys like Hayes were playing over him in the middle, or was that a "Fletcher"?
I looked Giroux's stats on Hockey Reference. He's a 61.6% (290/496) on the face off. I think Russo said something like he's basically a face off ringer and then plays wing. I don't watch the Flyers much, at least not this season, so not sure if he just isn't as effective in the center spot anymore. Flyers must have felt that signing a sub career 50% FO, $50 Million Kevin Hayes to be their #2C was a need. Okay Chuck. He's the Virgil of Cap Hell.

Your trade proposal stings just enough to think it's pretty fair for both sides.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I looked Giroux's stats on Hockey Reference. He's a 61.6% (290/496) on the face off. I think Russo said something like he's basically a face off ringer and then plays wing. I don't watch the Flyers much, at least not this season, so not sure if he just isn't as effective in the center spot anymore. Flyers must have felt that signing a sub career 50% FO, $50 Million Kevin Hayes to be their #2C was a need. Okay Chuck. He's the Virgil of Cap Hell.

Your trade proposal stings just enough to think it's pretty fair for both sides.
Signed Hayes when they found out how bad Patrick's head issues were going to be.

And they wanted to lighten G's workload as a C by having him at wing. With Hayes and Couts missing so much time this year, G has played lots of C this year and played great. His 5vs5 underlying numbers are very similar to the 3 year span when he was a top scorer. It's his linemates and PP stystems that have resulted in less overall points.

He can still be a PPG guy on a different team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The formula is a 1st, 2nd, B+ prospect, and another 2nd value if significant retention is made.
If the trade is made at the TDL, the cap hit of Giroux's will be about 2M. Many teams can and will take that, or simply send back a lesser salary in lieu of retention. Most teams are not going to give a away a 2nd, unless they are absolutely desperate for the cap space, and player.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The formula is a 1st, 2nd, B+ prospect, and another 2nd value if significant retention is made.
You are massively overvaluing retention on an expiring contract. Teams routinely get a mid-late round pick at the deadline to be a middle man and retain salary.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Colorado:
Claude Giroux (50% retained by Philadelphia)

Philadelphia:
Tyson Jost
Samuel Girard
3rd 2022
Conditional 1st 2023 (1st 2023 if Colorado wins 2022 Cup or signs extension, becomes 2nd 2023 if Giroux walks)

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Colorado:
Claude Giroux (50% retained by Philadelphia)

Philadelphia:
Tyson Jost
Samuel Girard
3rd 2022
Conditional 1st 2023 (1st 2023 if Colorado wins 2022 Cup or signs extension, becomes 2nd 2023 if Giroux walks)
This is a joke, right?

Either way it’s not a legal trade, since the extension of the CBA teams can no longer use re-signing with a team as a condition on draft picks.

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
To Philly:

Owen Tippett
Frank Vatrano (cap dump, but could re-sign for cheap)
Grigori Denisenko
2023 2nd Conditional (Upgrades to 2023 1st if Panthers make the Eastern Finals)

To Florida:

Claude Giroux (50%)
Justin Braun

Florida gets another weapon on the wings and a veteran D for the playoffs without really affecting their main roster.

Flyers get two young players with upside, Vatrano who can score in the right situation and will be cheap to resign, and a pick.

How far off is this?

This is good on value it just doesn't fit any of the flyers needs.
It doesn't get me overjoyed but it's probably the leading offer

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Probably pretty fair in value. Shockingly, this is the best looking trade proposal I’ve seen on here. And not so shocking, it’s from a non-Avs fan.
Actually, I think this is a very good trade for both teams. A very realistic, fair and worthwhile proposal.
Maybe this is too generous then lol. But the expectation is that Colorado and others would be bidding on Giroux as well
F it guys, just turn the conditional into a 1st and BOOK IT! Maybe it's a bit of an overpayment but no one will care or even remember when Sasha Barkov picks up the Cup and is hoisting it next summer. :sarcasm:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Might be unpopular with other Canes fans

Martin Necas, 23 2nd, Jake Gardiner (cap reason) for Claude Giroux 50%

Necas is super fast and skilled. But I feel like the time is to go all in and need that extra veteran. Would prob come back to haunt the Canes for years.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Necas is super fast and skilled. But I feel like the time is to go all in and need that extra veteran. Would prob come back to haunt the Canes for years.
Necas for a rental is an incredibly stupid idea. Throwing in a 2nd rounder just makes the bad idea worse.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Yeah in a split second I would do it. But as you can see below.......unpopular with other Cane fans. Plus I'm sure Cane's management would never ever do it.

Edit: If we traded G to a Metro Division team, I sure wouldn't mind it be the Canes.

Reactions: SnS and MinJaBen

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
To Philly:

Owen Tippett
Frank Vatrano (cap dump, but could re-sign for cheap)
Grigori Denisenko
2023 2nd Conditional (Upgrades to 2023 1st if Panthers make the Eastern Finals)

To Florida:

Claude Giroux (50%)
Justin Braun

Florida gets another weapon on the wings and a veteran D for the playoffs without really affecting their main roster.

Flyers get two young players with upside, Vatrano who can score in the right situation and will be cheap to resign, and a pick.

How far off is this?

This is up there as one of the better proposals for G.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah in a split second I would do it. But as you can see below.......unpopular with other Cane fans. Plus I'm sure Cane's management would never ever do it.

Edit: If we traded G to a Metro Division team, I sure wouldn't mind it be the Canes.

I know they won’t send him to Pitt.

I think Giroux would be a great addition into the locker room and RBA would be confident in him in any situation.

Necas would be a hard loss for us, but it also sets up the off-season for us since we have Necas, TDA and KK needing RFA contracts and Nino and Trocheck to consider.

Braun as an add might be needed by Philly? Not sure.

Reactions: Dooble08

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think the wild, canes, and panthers are most interesting trade partners that have the goods to make the trade.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know they won’t send him to Pitt.

I think Giroux would be a great addition into the locker room and RBA would be confident in him in any situation.

Necas would be a hard loss for us, but it also sets up the off-season for us since we have Necas, TDA and KK needing RFA contracts and Nino and Trocheck to consider.

Braun as an add might be needed by Philly? Not sure.

Not sure trading Necas so the team can try to hold onto 29 year old Trocheck (at the time of his next contract) and 30 year old Nino, KK (who is doing ok, but not worth his current deal), and TDA (who has a history of wearing out his welcome) is really "setting us up for the off-season".

Just not a good idea.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Not to keep hounding on what Giroux is worth........

Per Frank Seravelli:

Claude Giroux would seem to command a significant amount more than that (talking about the Foligno trade)

His value could fluctuate depending on who is available to buyers, how many suitors Giroux has, whether or not the Flyers are willing to retain salary, and where Giroux wants to go, if he does at all.

I think Claude Giroux is in the first-round-pick-and-top-prospect world

Depending on how salary is retained and if the Flyers are retaining half to make it work for a team, that just increases the value the Flyers could get in return

Seravalli said that the Avalanche may be willing to move 2020 first-round pick defenseman Justin Barron, who projects as a No. 3 or 4 defenseman.
“Does that move the needle for the Flyers?”

About St. Louis: Their prospect base isn’t really as deep as some of the other groups, so there’s not really anyone there that you’d be looking to grab.

Mentions Denisenko and Tippett from Florida.
Mentions Braden Schneider from the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad